Analysis Thommo is it time?

Playing Thommo in big games?

• Yes, it's worth a try.

Votes: 13 14.6%
  • No way known he's cooked.

Votes: 76 85.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

hahahaha last time we played them Round 18 unfortunatly they didnt play him this time, not sure what else I can say

GEELONG 4.1 5.6 10.9 12.13 (85)
ADELAIDE 3.2 5.5 5.10 7.13 (55)

GOALS
Geelong: Hawkins 4, Menzel 4, Stanley, Guthrie, Cockatoo, McCarthy
Adelaide: Jenkins 3, Lynch 2, Bews, Douglas

BEST
Geelong: Enright, Selwood, Bartel, Dangerfield, Menzel, Menegola, Hawkins, Lonergan
Adelaide: M Crouch, B Crouch, Laird, Thompson, Jenkins

I dont get what you are trying to point out here?

He got 4th best and we lost by more than what we did without him. How does this sure up your assertion?

Besides winning ball at ground level what presence does he provide?
He left Danger and Sloane to repeatedly get smashed for years(besides Sandos first year).
His tackling is atrocious and only served to give our opposition a free clearance.
He rarely shepherds or blocks in tight.
Besides the occasional push and shove when he feels manhandled he doesn't really protect any of our runners.
He doesnt Chase?

What do you see him doing vs Geelong?

You indicated he did nothing against Geelong he got 4th best, now that is just rubbish to say he did nothing

Im saying he did well, you can show as much bias as you like the facts are he played well, but Im sure you will make up some other excuse so carry on

There's been more outside scrutiny on us this year after our start than any time I can remember. It's like the Vic media are watching us for the first time.

Because they thought we were shots at the premiership, and it's genuinely fascinating to see a team fall apart so rapidly in season.

Of course, that they thought we were shots at the premiership was probably a product of not having watched us previously :p

Because they thought we were shots at the premiership, and it's genuinely fascinating to see a team fall apart so rapidly in season.

Of course, that they thought we were shots at the premiership was probably a product of not having watched us previously :p
That's exactly right

They've acknowledged our great forward line for a few years (in passing, glossing over it in 30 seconds or less with analysis limited to Betts' goal of the year contenders) but only now have they discovered that Jenkins and Walker don't actually take many contested marks

You indicated he did nothing against Geelong he got 4th best, now that is just rubbish to say he did nothing

Im saying he did well, you can show as much bias as you like the facts are he played well, but Im sure you will make up some other excuse so carry on

Mate you are officially crowned the unofficial king of deflection

Read my post again. It has nothing to do with his last Geelong game.
You keep saying we lost for no other reason than softness. My post was asking the question as to what you think Thommo brings to remedy that.
Your response was to post the best players from our last encounter which we lost by more and which shows 2 of our starting mids from this game as playing better games than Thommo???????

So why dont you just answer my original question and stop self sabotaging your own argument?

Hang on, you are quoting the wrong person here yeah?

Hang on, you are quoting the wrong person here yeah?

Heres your response to my question

="Ramify, post: 50679247, member: 136837"]Besides winning ball at ground level what presence does he provide?
He left Danger and Sloane to repeatedly get smashed for years(besides Sandos first year).
His tackling is atrocious and only served to give our opposition a free clearance.
Besides the occasional push and shove when he feels manhandled he doesn't really protect any of our runners.
He doesnt Chase?

Thommo is an absolute break glass option, when or if Sloane, Crouch x2, CC, etc are all injured at the same time.

His role should be like JPod in his final season.

The difference being that if Thommo was offerred the opportunity to decline the spot and continue with Greenwood, he'd offer to book and pay for Hugh's Uber to his SANFL game on the weekend.

Heres your response to my question

="Ramify, post: 50679247, member: 136837"]Besides winning ball at ground level what presence does he provide?
He doesnt Chase?

Jeesus man, I can barely remember the specifics of the North Melbourne game.
The only way I could answer that is if I went back and watched it which I think Ill pass on.

My observations on his overall performance the past three years are well etched in my mind though. Id say he got plenty of first hands on the ball and the possessions that come with doing so.
How does this address our softness issue?
Did he block, tackle well, chase, shepherd, tag, smash Selwood or Danger?

A better question is probably what you consider to be softness?

Jeesus man, I can barely remember the specifics of the North Melbourne game.
The only way I could answer that is if I went back and watched it which I think Ill pass on.

My observations on his overall performance the past three years are well etched in my mind though. Id say he got plenty of first hands on the ball and the possessions that come with doing so.
How does this address our softness issue?
Did he block, tackle well, chase, shepherd, tag, smash Selwood or Danger?

A better question is probably what you consider to be softness?

Then why did you write it if you couldnt remember it???

My opinion of softness is players that avoid physical contests, Kelly for me in the team is one of the toughest he will go where others wont, he wont get dropped because of that but he will get injured because of that, brown has that attitude, but smith doesnt. Saying that if we have enough with that daredevil attitude we can carry a few softies, like JJ if Otten is standing next to him prepared to make a physical contest JJ can play wide.

Its all a balance but unfortunatly we are missing one or two to make the balance right against Geelong on Friday

It,was mentioned by a few 'experts' that the Roos and Melbourne games were aberrations. Vic commentators have NFI about us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Then why did you write it if you couldnt remember it???

My opinion of softness is players that avoid physical contests, Kelly for me in the team is one of the toughest he will go where others wont, he wont get dropped because of that but he will get injured because of that, brown has that attitude, but smith doesnt. Saying that if we have enough with that daredevil attitude we can carry a few softies, like JJ if Otten is standing next to him prepared to make a physical contest JJ can play wide.

Its all a balance but unfortunatly we are missing one or two to make the balance right against Geelong on Friday

Again, I was talking about what I know Thompson played like in General over the past 3 years, NOT specific to his last game vs Cats which Id be surprised if it differed much.

The rest of your post I couldnt agree with more.

Mate you are officially crowned the unofficial king of deflection

Read my post again. It has nothing to do with his last Geelong game.
You keep saying we lost for no other reason than softness. My post was asking the question as to what you think Thommo brings to remedy that.
Your response was to post the best players from our last encounter which we lost by more and which shows 2 of our starting mids from this game as playing better games than Thommo???????

So why dont you just answer my original question and stop self sabotaging your own argument?

Unofficial??? Marty never responds directly to points, just heads off in completely different directions. I don't think it's deliberate though, he's never been able to stay on point and discuss finite differences of opinion.

Unofficial??? Marty never responds directly to points, just heads off in completely different directions. I don't think it's deliberate though, he's never been able to stay on point and discuss finite differences of opinion.

He does it well I give him that.
I know Im a bit kinda loopy anyway but I come out our conversation full blown questioning my sanity.

Skilled in the art of Jedi mind tricks.

Podsiadly also confirmed neither Kyle Cheney and Tom Doedee would come into the side as the replacement for small defender Luke Brown, who will be out for two to four weeks with a fractured cheekbone.

Douglas or Mackay moving from the midfield to the backline opens the door for 307-game veteran Scott Thompson, Riley Knight or first-year player Jordan Gallucci to earn a recall.

"Thompson has been in pretty good form in the SANFL," Podsiadly said.

"We're really happy with how Thommo has progressed after a limited pre-season.

"When you play 300 games of football, you've got a pretty good base level of fitness, but the ability to repeat effort, tackle, get up, sprint, all those things take a bit of time when you haven't done much pre-season.

"He's going all right."

David Mackay to the backline and bringing in Scott Thompson. Love it.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-06-08/no-switch-needed-for-adelaides-lever

Surely Thommo is a "Break Glass in Case of Emergency".

Surely we're not at that stage yet?

Guarantee if selected he will give away at least 2 dumb free kicks - probably more given he will be a little off the pace of the game after such a lengthy break. I'm calling two clumsy high tackles coming in late to a contest and an in the back by falling into the back of the opposition while tackling.

73778117.jpg

Back