macca23

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 16, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
Thommo has been a fantastic player for our club for 250+ games. I respect him for being the guy to step up in our midfield early on this year when the guys who were meant to fill the void that Danger left started slow. He's been an incredible servant of the club for 10 years.

But as much as I've refused to believe it, it's painfully obvious that the game has passed him by over the last 12-16 weeks. His form has deteriorated substantially and the softer match ups have masked that. But nothing could save him tonight, no Sloane to help cover for the rest of our mediocre midfield leaves him bitterly exposed.

I think AFC will probably give him another year, but I don't think that they should.

Thommo has been a great servant of the club over a long period of time., but IMO his form in recent weeks has shown that it would be madness to give him one more year at AFL level. He is physically too slow, mentally far too slow and has been an embarrassment over the last 3 weeks in particular.

The fact that he still hasn't been given a 1 year extension would suggest that he is very unlikely to get the 1 year extension that he wants.

Nobody should criticize Thompson for wanting the extra year. Firstly, we always think we're doing better than we really are, and secondly, who wants to walk away from several hundred thousand dollars a year to an unknown future. He has every right to want another year whether he's deserved it or not - I know I would in his position.

The onus is with the footy club to do the right thing by the team, the club, its supporters, rather than the feelings of Thommo, and take him aside and professionally tell him that he isn't getting an extension to his contract and suggest to him that he retire to make it look like his decision rather than that he was pushed.

He deserves that much. After that, it's up to him.

Oct 31, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Miami Heat
Thommo has been a great servant of the club over a long period of time., but IMO his form in recent weeks has shown that it would be madness to give him one more year at AFL level. He is physically too slow, mentally far too slow and has been an embarrassment over the last 3 weeks in particular.

The fact that he still hasn't been given a 1 year extension would suggest that he is very unlikely to get the 1 year extension that he wants.

Nobody should criticize Thompson for wanting the extra year. Firstly, we always think we're doing better than we really are, and secondly, who wants to walk away from several hundred thousand dollars a year to an unknown future. He has every right to want another year whether he's deserved it or not - I know I would in his position.

The onus is with the footy club to do the right thing by the team, the club, its supporters, rather than the feelings of Thommo, and take him aside and professionally tell him that he isn't getting an extension to his contract and suggest to him that he retire to make it look like his decision rather than that he was pushed.

He deserves that much. After that, it's up to him.
Hardly speaks of our apparent "Team First" ethos, does it? Especially to our younger guys whacking away in the magoos. If VB and Thommo don't offer to retire this year, and we don't have the pills to then push them then we are truly stuffed. This is a massive test of our "new" culture....I'm praying we pass.

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Has their been much media discussion about his future after last night? I hope the commentators are at least pointing out the obvious.

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
I hope this does not happen but to honest sometime I wish that CEY gets traded to a team that plays him every game, Just to prove he not a top level AFL midfielder. he not 25 plus 70% he not even a 20 plus 60% Last year it was Kerridge that was held back,
Have fun guys you may get your wish,

SES SA

All Australian
Sep 22, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
You guys are missing a crucial point here:

'You try telling Thommo he's not playing on next year'.

I suspect Boomer Harvey's games record may be in danger.

I see this line used a lot by the coaches (think Sanderson started it). It is pathetic how spineless the coaches are for having this thought process. I can't imagine Blight thinking that way. Or to use current example, Clarkson.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
I hope this does not happen but to honest sometime I wish that CEY gets traded to a team that plays him every game, Just to prove he not a top level AFL midfielder. he not 25 plus 70% he not even a 20 plus 60% Last year it was Kerridge that was held back,
Have fun guys you may get your wish,

In case we didn't need any more evidence of your severe emotional attachment to Thommo. The tomes of bullshit manufactured in fairy land was enough. But your stated ill-will towards an innocent player just doing his best with limited opportunity who just happens to be next in line at the moment speaks volumes towards your mindset.

Last edited by a moderator:

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
In case we didn't need any more evidence of your severe emotional attachment to Thommo. The tomes of bullshit manufactured in fairy land was enough. But your stated ill-will towards an innocent player just doing his best with limited opportunity who just happens to be next in line at the moment speaks volumes towards your mindset.

Sorry but you do not know me because if you did you would not even attempt to communicate to me like that Don't do it again please.
I don't insult others, I don't bully others , I don't crap on others. If you chose to go down this path so be it. I will not play your little game by trading insults. But I will still post, I don't run I don't Hide
You are right to have an opinion, you are right to disagree. and are right to state your opinion , But that all
Again you don't know me and I don't know you so I will not take offence this time. As I know we are all upset about the recent Game.

Yes I like Thommo but the viteral I have read on this site is close to shear bullying in down right wrong on so many levels,
As I have stated many times why do Thommo supporters need to provide facts while other don't.
Is My opinion on CEY. The same as yours and others opinion of Thommo , MacKay , Douglas, Henderson,
No He has talent but not as a top AFL player. even if it was I don't beliettle him , I don't personally insult him, But I will criticise his football
CEY has not taken his chances if he was a top player he would have. Thommo is not holding him out. There is no ill will if he is a top AFL player he would be playing. Don't need facts when the simple truth is he not getting a game. If he move to another club he most likely will still will struggle to be a Top AFL player.

Mods take note this is boarder line and offensive. if feel you must remove this post if you think it wrong. But start paying attention to what going one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Yes I like Thommo
I posted very early it seemed you had an emotional connection to Thompson. Your continued posting has confirmed this for me. Your last post in linking CEY moving from the AFC because you think he needs to prove to other posters he cant play is absurd.

You said that , because you are emotionally blind to the fact that CEY and Scott Thompson are fighting for one position. Scott Thompsons. Now there is nothing wrong with having this investment in a player. Its great. But don't let it blind you. Scott is cooked. You are doing him a disservice in asking him to go on. Even warriors die. Even warriors stand back and teach the next group how to fight.

Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Robust debate isn't bullying.

CEY took his chance last year - was one of the stories across the AFL; then rested, and not seen again.

Dominates the SANFL this year; gets one game against a s**t team, plays primarily forward, but goes alright.

Plays last night against a quality team; 60% ToG, almost exclusively as a forward, while our midfield is getting annihilated.

I wouldn't call that an opportunity; closer to a sacrificial lamb.

Jul 17, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg

CEY took his chance last year - was one of the stories across the AFL; then rested, and not seen again.

Dominates the SANFL this year; gets one game against a s**t team, plays primarily forward, but goes alright.

Plays last night against a quality team; 60% ToG, almost exclusively as a forward, while our midfield is getting annihilated.

I wonder who is to blame re TOG/midfield time…is it the coaches or is the primary mids not rotating properly?

I wonder who is to blame re TOG/midfield time…is it the coaches or is the primary mids not rotating properly?

I don't think the coaches have any faith in our younger/fringe midfielders to stand up when the game is on the line. We played Thommo and both Crouches at a lot of stoppages in an attempt to win

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
I posted very early it seemed you had an emotional connection to Thompson. Your continued posting has confirmed this for me. Your last post in linking CEY moving from the AFC because you think he needs to prove to other posters he cant play is absurd.

You said that , because you are emotionally blind to the fact that CEY and Scott Thompson are fighting for one position. Scott Thompsons. Now there is nothing wrong with having this investment in a player. Its great. But don't let it blind you. Scott is cooked. You are doing him a disservice in asking him to go on. Even warriors die. Even warriors stand back and teach the next group how to fight.

Yes but regardless on my views I don't insult or Belittle others. yes argue disagree but play the ball not the man.
But CEY and Thommo are not fighting for the same position maybe next year but at this time CEY has not put the runs on the board. remember what did Matt do when he returned earlier this year he left now doubt he was an AFL player. To me that's what top AFL players do.
When CEY does that I will slap him on the back and say well done even tell him I was wrong.

Jul 17, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
I don't think the coaches have any faith in our younger/fringe midfielders to stand up when the game is on the line. We played Thommo and both Crouches at a lot of stoppages in an attempt to win
That went well.

Matt Crouch and Sloane are so far ahead of the others it's a joke.

Lyons disposal was uncharacteristically poor last night but I think it's time to push into more stoppages.

Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Yes but regardless on my views I don't insult or Belittle others. yes argue disagree but play the ball not the man.
But CEY and Thommo are not fighting for the same position maybe next year but at this time CEY has not put the runs on the board. remember what did Matt do when he returned earlier this year he left now doubt he was an AFL player. To me that's what top AFL players do.
When CEY does that I will slap him on the back and say well done even tell him I was wrong.
Once again you have confused the issue. CEY and Thompson are fighting for the one position. At the moment Thompson has it in the AFL and CEY has it in the SANFL. Its not about next year or this year. Its positional. So yes CEY has put the runs on the board with his actions in the SANFL.

Without trying to deflect from Thompson/CEY tell me whos' position Matt Crouch was fighting for?

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC

Robust debate is fine, but I took some of the comments as an insult did you read what was said
Re CEY last year he was OK but not great, look at his stats. only using his full games of 8 disposals 19.1 TOG 76%, at 67% good but not great for a 4th year player

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Once again you have confused the issue. CEY and Thompson are fighting for the one position. At the moment Thompson has it in the AFL and CEY has it in the SANFL. Its not about next year or this year. Its positional. So yes CEY has put the runs on the board with his actions in the SANFL.

Without trying to deflect from Thompson/CEY tell me whos' position Matt Crouch was fighting for?
Problem is sometimes we rate the SANFL higher than what it is, AFL skills have improved greatly, Has the SANFL improved.
Re Matt Start of The year that 3rd to 6th midfield role, now he has its the 2nd mids roles ( Sloane is #1) mid role.
But with CEY I see him playing for the 3rd to 6th role Brad, Lyons, Thommo, Douglas,
Yes I can see the point in Thommo for CEY As it look the most likley, but in reality Lyons jump him and It up to CEY to Push either one of the 6 mids out. After all he can play both inside and Outside, Forward and has Speed and Size, He has the goods but what is missing. to me his Kicking and the Defensive side to his game is the problem. Re Kicking it field kicking in open space. And the time he take to spot someone up. And yes I don't have the stats or proof,

Mar 21, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
. After all he can play both inside and Outside, Forward and has Speed and Size, He has the goods but what is missing. to me his Kicking and the Defensive side to his game is the problem. Re Kicking it field kicking in open space. And the time he take to spot someone up. And yes I don't have the stats or proof,
Ok now of those things listed above , by you , can Thommo do? Right now. Not last year. Now

ad victoriam

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2016
Barossa
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Ok now of those things listed above , by you , can Thommo do? Right now. Not last year. Now
Thommo in the side because he get more Centre Clearance and Stoppages, and Tackles, his effective kicks have improved this year, lately he even been getting more uncontested than contested and Marking the ball. Overall he more effective.
Yes we can say he at more clearances, Do we rate him on his past or how he going today, was he the 4th worse mid in the last 3 games or the last game.
But one thing we have to understand that under Pyke all the mid stats have dropped and the Crows are getting a better spread. Yes he has his go too men lately its been Matt, Sloane and Thommo,
Are we judging Thommo Ageist his past record,
Also if I was looking at a replacement for Thommo in todays team I would be looking at Lyons, Atkins Wigg with Knight covering the Lyons, Atkins Or Douglas role. and I expect that next year unless the Crows get a top Mid in trade. then that person would push Thommo Further out.
But strong rumour is he re-signing meaning no midfield trade on the table. maybe I am wrong.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
The problem with most assessments of Thompson here is they are built on flawed premises about other players' performance.

It wasn't until Matt Crouch was dropped and came back that he became the player he is now. Before that he showed flashes of outstanding talent ruined by inconsistency and truly atrocious ball use at times.

Lyons was a player who had never had 20 possessions in 2 games in a row, (he has done this in 13 of his last 14 games now) and his most effective games were more about pinch hitting as a forward. It took him being out of the team, then dropped again, before he found form.

Brad Crouch was a shadow of himself at the start of the year and the difference to now is like light and day.

Even Rory Sloane was not in great nick at the very start of the year.

Of course having these 4 near top form in the same general area of the ground is going to affect how he looks in comparison.

Back