• Thommo to retire

Votes: 244 77.5%
  • Thommo to play on

Votes: 33 10.5%
  • Thommo to play on but will only actually play when there is an emergency

Votes: 38 12.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

The one thing that gives me hope is how low key the club has made the re-signing of Thommo. If the club isn't making it a big deal, maybe they know he is declining and isn't in their plans for next year

How can anyone that considers themselves an AFL proffesional not have seen this from 2014?

Wright playing 16 games last season and then being delisted was ridiculous

As I've said before, there is a HUGE disconnect between our coaches and match selection and our list management. The two just don't work hand in hand, they're both making decisions almost independent of the other.

Wright
Tambling
Menzel
Lyons

There are just way too many examples of it.

Didn't he have a career best year in 2014? I think it was reasonable to give him enough games so that we could decide he wasn't capable of delivering consistently.

So career best year - play him out of position, don't give him the opportunity to find form in the SANFL... and then give him away when he's worth nothing?

Oh really what coaching position is he taking up please tell us?

More than likely he is moving the cones and helping the midfielders with development. AFL has a soft cap on footy department spend it would be stupid to spend big dollars attracting names for low level positions. Just get good footy people which Thommo undoubtedly is. Like Younie, Paul Thomas,Tate Kaesler etc

Fagan did say however he wanted to put together the best footy department in the AFL when he started and i don't think he has delivered so far. Illogical Thommo rant missed but somewhere a point was close by.

Why would we use our HARD list salary cap to ease the burden on our SOFT coaching department cap?

He obviously can just not to his previous high standards consistently.

Are you going to tell me what coaching spot he is taking and what person you would have appointed?

I don't know who I would have appointed as I haven't done a series of interviews... and apparently neither has the club.

So you don't know what he is doing then? Baseless rant again?

Mate if he's just moving cones around like you claim I probably would have given some kid minimum wage to do it.

But it is clearly more than that so basically ANYONE with any experience coaching at AFL or VFL/SANFL level would have been a better choice.

Mate if he's just moving cones around like you claim I probably would have given some kid minimum wage to do it.

But it is clearly more than that so basically ANYONE with any experience coaching at AFL or VFL/SANFL level would have been a better choice.
300 games of top shelf footy and he has nothing to offer? Rightio. Has he done some coaching courses during his playing career?

300 games of top shelf footy and he has nothing to offer? Rightio. Has he done some coaching courses during his playing career?

If we thought he was ready to coach we would have hired him as a coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have combined with a playing role.

Fairly common practice across the AFL. Why do you always avoid questions?

Because I'm not doing your research for you. If you want to know if he has done any coaching courses go look it up.

We have combined with a playing role.

Fairly common practice across the AFL. As long as he is injury cover only im happy with it.

I think he has something to offer, but I don't necessarily think that we chose him for this role because it was good fit.

I think that we were spooked by Melbourne's deal so we threw him a playing/coaching deal.

Didn't Thommo say a few years ago that he wouldn't be involved coaching after he retires?

Mind might be playing tricks on me here but I vaguely remember an interview where he basically shunned the increasingly high tech, structured coaching field and said it wasn't for him.

Didn't Thommo say a few years ago that he wouldn't be involved coaching after he retires?

Mind might be playing tricks on me here but I vaguely remember an interview where he basically shunned the increasingly high tech, structured coaching field and said it wasn't for him.

That's all well good to say while you're a player, but once you begin to see the end of the line for the gravy train clearly it changes your perspective on things.

Last edited:
That's all well good to say while you're a player, but once you begin to see the end of the line for gravy train clearly it changes your perspective on things.
It shouldn't have changed the club's perspective though. Is coaching really a calling for Thommo?

There is a chance it's just spin. Going out as an SANFL player isn't how anyone wants to see Thommo finish up. It doesn't matter now, he's a coach and helping the SANFL boys is is job. Even if he pulls the pin on playing half way through the year, it's all good, he's concentrating on his coaching.

The principle that we need another year of his on-field tutorship before he can transition to coaching is clearly absurd. The club has buckled because after 300 games and carrying our midfield on his back for a while, everyone would have known that Thommo was effectively delisted. This looks a negotiated settlement to me where the excuses are already in place and publicly his full time footy career has already finished. Make no mistake though, during preseason he will be gunning for a spot in the midfield and will be hoping to not see an SANFL oval unless he goes down there for a coke while watching the kids play.

There is a chance it's just spin. Going out as an SANFL player isn't how anyone wants to see Thommo finish up. It doesn't matter now, he's a coach and helping the SANFL boys is is job. Even if he pulls the pin on playing half way through the year, it's all good, he's concentrating on his coaching.

The principle that we need another year of his on-field tutorship before he can transition to coaching is clearly absurd. The club has buckled because after 300 games and carrying our midfield on his back for a while, everyone would have known that Thommo was effectively delisted. This looks a negotiated settlement to me where the excuses are already in place and publicly his full time footy career has already finished. Make no mistake though, during preseason he will be gunning for a spot in the midfield and will be hoping to not see an SANFL oval unless he goes down there for a coke while watching the kids play.
Exactly, Thommo isn't going through another preseason to play sanfl footy. He would be aiming to be a regular in the afl.

Here's a thought, if he wanted to get into coaching, why doesn't he do what most people do and retire and get into coaching.

This is a gutless spineless decision by the club.

The club's perspective changed when Melbourne offered him a playing/coaching deal, the club panicked.

Melbourne never offerred him a playing deal, Goodwin cleared that up. He also wasn't offerred a coaching deal, Goodwin's words were that they said they'd consider having a conversation with him if he wasn't continuing next year with us. The club didn't change the offer to Thommo and he ultimately accepted the meagre terms after the end of the year. The club didn't panic whatsoever, it's pretty clear they would have been happy for Thommo to head East.

Back