Those small moments (good and bad) during North games some may have forgotten but you never will

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably been done but the game where Shagga was given a free that should have put him on the goal line, instead the umpire put him at the top of the box but he still managed to miss and cost us the game :( at Etihad against the pies IIRC
I believe it was at the MCG? Round 1 2007?

LT kicked like 5 behinds that game IIRC..

This is great! I'd like to nominate an opposition player in Mark Zanotti ,playng for Fitzroy,kicked a goal from the goal square and gave our cheer squad multiple double bird flips as he got the Lions to within 90 points.

Also the young woman who sat behind me in a North v Melbourne game in 2006 who, derisively and sarcastically, kept saying " go roos well done roos" when Neitz kicked another goal in the second half of that game. Thought of her every time we played and beat them for the next 12 years!

Saturday arvo game against Geelong at the ‘G when they still had the real cricket pitches.

Centre square wasn’t a bog, but that day it was just lines painted on nicely rolled mud.

Cats were kicking to the Punt Road end and there was a centre bounce after a goal.

Ischenko slipped on his launching stride and the Cat ruckman got a beautiful punch on the full to Brownless who was running pretty much along the centre square line who just threw it sideways into his boot.

I watched the replay later and worked out is was about six seconds from bounce to the ball crossing the goal line.

Fastest damn goal I’ve ever seen.

Bastards.......:mad:

Last edited:
Mid 90’s in Perth and Worsfold got a dirty snipper shirtfront on Arch early on in the game that sent Arch into next week. He still tried to get up on rubber legs and Carey went up to him and told him to just stay down. We went on to win by 10 goals in a big statement away win. Cut to the end of the game live commentary and they crossover to the winners rooms and someone’s long schlong (rumored to be Fruity Allison) pops up in full screen camera mode... cross back to expert commentary stunned mullet faces. Pissed myself laughing. What a game.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The last time we played Collingwood before Marley came over he was getting stuck into someone LT I think and maj came over and picked him up, or threw him around or something. Can't remember what but he really flew the flag.

some of these were more then moments and the details might be wrong

- pratt deliberate rushed
- spud pegging some guys boot into the crowd down in tassie
- sainsbury kicks his 5th on cooney again
- swallow game winner from outside 50 vs melbourne
- sam power chips it 10m backwards
- everyone mentions the shagga 40m penalty and miss but who kicked it to him? hansen lace out in his first game ("look at the foot skills for a big man," i thought, "still cant believe they picked fumbleton")
- simmo taking off the channel 7 mic at half time
- turtle harding first 2 games as a mid in 2009 ("wonder what his brownlow odds are")
- wells left hand bounce right hand bounce then goal vs bulldogs
- wells streaming through the 50 then handballs to rawlings
- thompson ducking under two tacklers at the gabba causing them to crack heads like in a cartoon
- ben ross second half vs port ("pencil him in for 200 games")
- harro from outside 50 vs carlton
- hansen twirl on the mark vs west coast
- riggio late replacement for wells ("finally, this is the chance he needed")
- speight debut ("pencil him in for 200")
- levi pumped up after kicking his first goal but no one else going near him
- vs carlton wellsy showing shaun grigg the bottom of his boots before the second half bounce
- ben warren debut and vomiting ("blew up the gps, pencil him in for 200 games")
- urquhart really loud and high pitched wooooo after the song every time
- sam wright left foot banana goal one of the best and most underrated ive seen
- marcus white killing yarran in the vfl grand final and booting goal of the night on his left ("ill keep an eye on his rising star odds for next year")
- gibson playing midfield and kicking it the wrong way
- nathan thompson run down tackle some game
- hansen pack mark and terrible landing vs hawthorn
- jesse smith goal from outside 50 vs essendon
- ben davies bog in the intraclub ("and we got him for nothing")
- jesse smith youtube highlights package from the vfl seconds. couldnt believe what i was seeing
- jesse smith dancing to backstreet boys on the footy show revue ("ankle looks good")
- haleing goals
- "out of the gloom comes jack ziebell"
- wells first bog vs hawthorn
- lindsay thomas bootless goal
- someone (choco williams?) telling laidley we just drafted the next hird (trotter)
- melbourne ruckman jake spencer missing the ball on a set shot against us
- swallow diving over the line to cause a throw in and win us the game vs st kilda who had only lost 1 game that year
- ed lower lone hand in the port final
- brad moran towelling up buckley
- aaron edwards getting tunnled by sydney defenders
- scott mcmahon hanger against collingwood
- djarrz goals
- hansens hair at the draft
- goldstein kicking 5 goals and filling up the stat sheet vs melbourne but mitch brown got the rising star nomination
- bastinac 3 goals and 10+ touches in the first quarter vs freo
- nathan o'keefe great debut ("set for the next decade with him and lachie")
- liam anthony trying to hit the roof with a forward 50 entry

I’ll never forget the night Byron picket crummled Brenton krummel out at Waverley park. I was only about 5 years old and was attending the game with my uncle who was a Hawthorn supporter . It’s safe to say I learnt a few new words as my uncle lost the plot . One of them starting with c and ending with t . I’ve never been the same since

some of these were more then moments and the details might be wrong

- pratt deliberate rushed
- spud pegging some guys boot into the crowd down in tassie
- sainsbury kicks his 5th on cooney again
- swallow game winner from outside 50 vs melbourne
- sam power chips it 10m backwards
- everyone mentions the shagga 40m penalty and miss but who kicked it to him? hansen lace out in his first game ("look at the foot skills for a big man," i thought, "still cant believe they picked fumbleton")
- simmo taking off the channel 7 mic at half time
- turtle harding first 2 games as a mid in 2009 ("wonder what his brownlow odds are")
- wells left hand bounce right hand bounce then goal vs bulldogs
- wells streaming through the 50 then handballs to rawlings
- thompson ducking under two tacklers at the gabba causing them to crack heads like in a cartoon
- ben ross second half vs port ("pencil him in for 200 games")
- harro from outside 50 vs carlton
- hansen twirl on the mark vs west coast
- riggio late replacement for wells ("finally, this is the chance he needed")
- speight debut ("pencil him in for 200")
- levi pumped up after kicking his first goal but no one else going near him
- vs carlton wellsy showing shaun grigg the bottom of his boots before the second half bounce
- ben warren debut and vomiting ("blew up the gps, pencil him in for 200 games")
- urquhart really loud and high pitched wooooo after the song every time
- sam wright left foot banana goal one of the best and most underrated ive seen
- marcus white killing yarran in the vfl grand final and booting goal of the night on his left ("ill keep an eye on his rising star odds for next year")
- gibson playing midfield and kicking it the wrong way
- nathan thompson run down tackle some game
- hansen pack mark and terrible landing vs hawthorn
- jesse smith goal from outside 50 vs essendon
- ben davies bog in the intraclub ("and we got him for nothing")
- jesse smith youtube highlights package from the vfl seconds. couldnt believe what i was seeing
- jesse smith dancing to backstreet boys on the footy show revue ("ankle looks good")
- haleing goals
- "out of the gloom comes jack ziebell"
- wells first bog vs hawthorn
- lindsay thomas bootless goal
- someone (choco williams?) telling laidley we just drafted the next hird (trotter)
- melbourne ruckman jake spencer missing the ball on a set shot against us
- swallow diving over the line to cause a throw in and win us the game vs st kilda who had only lost 1 game that year
- ed lower lone hand in the port final
- brad moran towelling up buckley
- aaron edwards getting tunnled by sydney defenders
- scott mcmahon hanger against collingwood
- djarrz goals
- hansens hair at the draft
- goldstein kicking 5 goals and filling up the stat sheet vs melbourne but mitch brown got the rising star nomination
- bastinac 3 goals and 10+ touches in the first quarter vs freo
- nathan o'keefe great debut ("set for the next decade with him and lachie")
- liam anthony trying to hit the roof with a forward 50 entry
Frickin awesome list. No Bull can you get one of your guys on this?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

5:07-5:22

Longmire's amazing one-handed mark when Fletcher was holding his other arm with two hands......... then given as a free to Fletcher!!

This particular decision almost led to a break-up of what eventually became Mr & Mrs JD. (Yeah, she's a Bombers supporter)

She was NOT impressed by my reaction to this travesty of football justice.

Last edited:

Longmire's amazing one-handed mark when Fletcher was holding his other arm with two hands......... then given as a free to Fletcher!!

This particular decision almost led to a break-up of what eventually became Mr & Mrs JD. (Yeah, she's a Bombers supporter)

Peter McKenna; " oh, turn it up " !

The next 2 minutes are equally as ****ed.

How good was that footy? And how good was Peter McKenna as a commentator? This new committee they r setting up should have a look at this game and try and get footy back playing like this. There were no packs just fast open skilful footy. The 90s was easily the best decade of footy that I’ve seen.

I believe it was at the MCG? Round 1 2007?

LT kicked like 5 behinds that game IIRC..
Yes that was Lindsay’s debut. The 50 was against Heath Shaw for running over the mark by several metres. It was at the G and it happened right in front of me. Right. In front. Of me. Shagger narked inside 50 but the Martian set the mark outside the goal square. Everyone on the ground knew he got it wrong but Shagger was so confident of kicking it anyway, he didn’t bother to argue. I was too busy giving Collingwood supporters around me a serve. Damn Shagger.

Brett Allison taking mark of the year standing on Gavin crosiscas shoulders and jumping off them.
This match was the only time I ever got into the rooms after a game.

Players were absolutely buggered and swamped by other supporters so I didn’t hang around.

Managed to have a short chat with a young bloke by the name of Carl Dilena, who I don’t think ended up playing too many games, before I let him catch a breath and left him alone.

Did he ever end up doing much with the club?

:D

Thanks for all the great memories. A few that I don't think have been mentioned yet:

- that game against * in 2001. As Kingy kicked what we thought was the 13th straight goal and the quarter-time siren went, the stunned reaction of the entire crowd - the low rumble of disbelief about what was happening from both sets of supporters. Then the feeling during the second quarter when it felt like we could lose by 10 goals...

- The McCartney game - all the great moments already mentioned, but the run down tackle by Wellsy in the (last?) quarter, with the whole crowd roaring as he closed down and brought his opponent to the ground.

- The Carey comeback game with Adelaide against us - the surreal first 10 minutes when most of the crowd were watching him rather than the game. The moment when Arch looked to square up to him, and that flinch. Stevo pulling Carey to the ground in a tackle.

- The whole year of not being able to watch Lindsay take a shot for goal, because it hurt so much.

- 99 Grand Final - being able to walk into Ticket(master?) on the Wednesday and being able to pick up 2 standing room tickets without being a member! (have been ever since!).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back