Those who where at the 97/98 Grand Finals?

Gets!

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 15, 2003
AFL Club
Adelaide
What was it like?

How many Crows fans were there and how loud were they?

What were the significant things that were said in the crowd or yelled out to our boys that still remains with you today?

I sure hope we make another GF one day...I will never miss out on the opportunity to go!!!

James23

Premiership Player
Aug 29, 2005
West Lakes
AFL Club
Adelaide
i was at both of the grand finals, i was 12 and 13 years of age and still remains with me the 2 greatest days of my life.

in 1997 our cousins were MCC members so we got tickets through them and got at the ground at around 430am and lined up.. there werent many crows supporters where we were sitting but we had prime seats right in line with the centre circle. I was having such a good day watching all the other games being played beforehand and the pre-game entertainment i rememebr thinking i didnt want the game to start cos i knew how nervous i was gonna be. My first memories of the game was the crows starting the way they did against the bulldogs a week earlier - point after point after point.. then we thought yes jarmans got it and the ball was sailing towards goal and and u could hear the roar of all the crows supporters goin aroundd the ground only for the blood ball to hit the post. The start of the game was just surreal i remember thinking wot the fu<k are we doing here as if were here, our young adelaide crows on the biggest sporting stage/event in australia.. to be honest i dont remember the 2nd or 3rd quarters at all.. and the 4th quarter i remember jarmans left foot snap and also remember my cousins (who are victorians) having a go at the umpire about how jarman was 'cheating' and my mum goin absolutely ballistic at em.. even though the reason we were there was cos of them :D everyting else is just 1 big surreal blur

in 1998 we had 2nd row tickets behind the goals which we got through our gold membership. I remember getting my face painted with vardys number on my cheeks :D.One of my most vivid memories was in the pre-game entertainment when the hunters and collectors were performing 'holy grail' on stage and during it on the big screen it crossed to the crows changerooms and i just remember every crows supporter going crazy it gives me shivers thinking bout it :) also there was one guy sitting next to us who had to leave at the start of the final quarter cos he was too nervous and he came back with 5 minutes to go with a crows back-to-back premiership shirt on, it was truly unbelievable day :D most of the game is just a blur to me unfortunately obviously i remember a few of the jarman goals cos we were up his end and i remember highfiving the players on their lap of honour to the song of 'we are the champions'

i appreciate it alot more now as i was just a kid then.. luckily we got plenty of photos that we will have forever

Aug 12, 2004
Inside 50
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The van Berlos
I was there for both...:thumbsu:

2 very surreal experiences given the significance and excitment of the day. Both times we bussed it over to Melbourne on the Friday night. Heading over for the St Kilda game I was very nervous about the outcome - and just pleased that we were in the GF......then the bus stopped at the Ballarat McDonalds for breakfast - and when we pulled into the carpark, there was a dirty big black Crow sitting in the carpark as if it owned the place. I turned to my wife and said it was an omen.....and so it was.

The next year North had won their last 9 games heading into the GF - had been unlucky to be beaten by St Kilda in the PF in '97 - had won in '96, and had pretty much done a Port Power in 94 and 95 and panicked in the PFs.......so the feeling was that they were due to win it with Carey and co at the height of their powers. With a flag under our belts I was just happy to back up again in another GF.

Then we got to Ballarat for breakfast - and guess what was sitting in the Maccas carpark - I ******** you not ! - so from that point on I was convinced we were going to go back to back.

The buzz around the MCG before the game was that each time the North boys were lining up for goal - we would sing the Club song to try and put them off !!!!.........after having spent most of the morning standing on the footpath outside the MCG pub over the road...;) ....I was more than happy to play along.

Half time we were 4 goals down - I said to a North supporter in the dunnys - "if we get the first 2 we're home".....and the rest as they say is history.

Aug 12, 2004
Inside 50
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The van Berlos
Gets! said:
What was it like?

What were the significant things that were said in the crowd or yelled out to our boys that still remains with you today?

I sure hope we make another GF one day...I will never miss out on the opportunity to go!!!
Both GF crowds seemed about 50/50.....maybe even 60/40 our way which was definately important for our boys

rooboy

Club Legend
Jan 27, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Rabbitohs,Wallabies.
Gets! said:
What was it like?

I was at the '97 GF. My best mates( who with me never missed a game, ********ed, though we would be ) inlaws worked with the Crows, and after trying in vain all week we could not get tickets. Then on the thursday before the game we were told we could have two tickets of the wives of the two guys who worked with the Crows.

We could not believe it. On the day of the game ,we drank to the last second before the game started and then went to find our seats. The seats turned out to be with the players who weren't playing. So I was sitting next to Ormond Allen and had guys like Roo ,Liptak,McCartney etc. sitting behind us.
My mate and I carried on like pork chops ( like we usually did ) all day, whilst all around us the players seemed really calm. But in the last quarter McCartney in particular was carrying on like us.

It was one of the best days of my life. And seeing as I barracked for Westies all my life, it was only the second time I had ever seen my team win a GF.

Just one other quick thing, the Saints supporters were incredible in the way they congratulated us after the game. I don't know that I would have been so sportsman like if we had of lost.

Mong

Premiership Player
Sep 4, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Crows
Mad Dog said:
Both GF crowds seemed about 50/50.....maybe even 60/40 our way which was definately important for our boys

I was there for 97 only but remember it a bit differently. I thought the Saints had more support. 60-40 or maybe even 70-30. When the Saints were kicking goals early in the game, it was LOUD. Austin Jones' goal drew the loudest crowd noise I have ever heard. The Crows fans held their own and made a lot of noise too. By the last quarter it seemed like the Crows had more support, but it was just that we had more to cheer about.

afc9798

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 21, 2002
To the Left of the Right
AFL Club
Adelaide
Gets! said:
What was it like?

Attended both, one in a corporate box (97) and the other in the Great Southern Stand on tickets from the Western Bulldogs that cost me $750. The only word I can think of is surreal as the day just seemed to go so quickly and then we had won.

I noticed with the players, it appeared that many of them didn't know how to celebrate the win and were sort of just following the person who looked most excited and then as it started to sink in, they started to go hard and jujst let the emotion roll. I remember the game, but the whole day was just a blur.

After 1998 at the Glasshouse was a blast. Drinking lukewarm VB and cheering myself hoarse as the players were presented. That walk across the bridge to the Glasshouse was the best, especially when coming in contact with Roos supporters that just didn't want to know at all. Can't wait to do it all again as we should have in 2005 if we had come up against Sydney in the GF. Oh well another year another opportunity.:D

marvin

Premiership Player
Oct 24, 2000
Tired old hack in Melb
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide
**** said:
I was there for 97 only but remember it a bit differently. I thought the Saints had more support. 60-40 or maybe even 70-30. When the Saints were kicking goals early in the game, it was LOUD. Austin Jones' goal drew the loudest crowd noise I have ever heard. The Crows fans held their own and made a lot of noise too. By the last quarter it seemed like the Crows had more support, but it was just that we had more to cheer about.

I'd go along with that.

In 1997, all the buzz for the 2nd half of the year was a StK vs WB grand final. The fact we knocked off the Bullies in the prelim nixed the all-underdog final, and most neutrals threw their support behind the Saints. The noise when Aussie Jones goaled in the 1st, and when Barry Hall kicked 3 goals in rapid time in the second was pretty stunning. Then again, the noise in the 3qtr (especially after Peter Caven! PETER CAVEN!!) and in the last for the DJ Fud show was pretty remarkable.

I recall the 98 final as being a bit quieter - partly because the neutrals didn't really get into it (in one sense, it was never really a contest, more a game of 2 halves), perhaps because the Kangaroos didn't garner the underdog support.

Then again, I spent the 97 GF in the bowels of the old Ponsford stand, and the 98 one in the very top deck of the old Northern Stand, so the sounds were echoing around in 97 and dissipating to the sky in 98.

crows97.jpg

Absolutely awesome. Sat in the back row of the GSS which was a problem for the Fudd show in the last quarter - we didn't get to see all his shots for goal, just the ball going through the top of the sticks.

Just a big heaving mass of Crows fans is all I remember, with the ticketing placing Adelaide and Saints fans bay by bay the goading was immense depending on the state of play.

When Aussie scored his wundergoal in the first quarter they went nuts believing that a second flag was their destiny. When we began to storm home off the back of Jarman, McLeod and Caven - and then put it beyond doubt - we just let loose.

The "we hate you because you're Victorian" chant was immense. It felt as though the entire stand was shaking - and the only retort received was tears.

The C-Grade Australian celebrity spotting on the way to and from the tennis centre afterwards was pretty decent too - Ron Barassi, Brent Williams (a native Melbournite, yet asked me - decked out in Crows beanie and guernsey - how to get to such and such a train station), Matthew Collins, Tasma Walton, Tony Ronaldson, Andrew Startin.

crows98.jpg

Sat in the front row of the GSS this time. I didn't think this one had as good an atmosphere either - what with both clubs supporters' now well used to the MCG in September, rather than the sheer hope and expectation of both sets of supporters the year before.

Apart from the onfield action, the highlights for me were the bluecoats who threatened to chuck us out for throwing streamers, "they cause fights"; and the Kangas skinhead who tried his hardest to break his chair with his bare hands while threatening me after I pointed to the scoreboard.

I don't know whether it was the cockiness of youth or blind faith, but even at halftime I thought we were never in doubt while all the older fans around me (probably Glenelg supporters) wailed and bemoaned the imminent loss.

marvin

Premiership Player
Oct 24, 2000
Tired old hack in Melb
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide
dyertribe said:
I don't know whether it was the cockiness of youth or blind faith, but even at halftime I thought we were never in doubt while all the older fans around me (probably Glenelg supporters) wailed and bemoaned the imminent loss.

20 cents on Sturt.

Alex99

Cancelled
10k Posts
Feb 9, 2004
AFL Club
Adelaide
James23 said:
i was at both of the grand finals, i was 12 and 13 years of age and still remains with me the 2 greatest days of my life.

in 1997 our cousins were MCC members so we got tickets through them and got at the ground at around 430am and lined up.. there werent many crows supporters where we were sitting but we had prime seats right in line with the centre circle. I was having such a good day watching all the other games being played beforehand and the pre-game entertainment i rememebr thinking i didnt want the game to start cos i knew how nervous i was gonna be. My first memories of the game was the crows starting the way they did against the bulldogs a week earlier - point after point after point.. then we thought yes jarmans got it and the ball was sailing towards goal and and u could hear the roar of all the crows supporters goin aroundd the ground only for the blood ball to hit the post. The start of the game was just surreal i remember thinking wot the fu<k are we doing here as if were here, our young adelaide crows on the biggest sporting stage/event in australia.. to be honest i dont remember the 2nd or 3rd quarters at all.. and the 4th quarter i remember jarmans left foot snap and also remember my cousins (who are victorians) having a go at the umpire about how jarman was 'cheating' and my mum goin absolutely ballistic at em.. even though the reason we were there was cos of them :D everyting else is just 1 big surreal blur

in 1998 we had 2nd row tickets behind the goals which we got through our gold membership. I remember getting my face painted with vardys number on my cheeks :D.One of my most vivid memories was in the pre-game entertainment when the hunters and collectors were performing 'holy grail' on stage and during it on the big screen it crossed to the crows changerooms and i just remember every crows supporter going crazy it gives me shivers thinking bout it :) also there was one guy sitting next to us who had to leave at the start of the final quarter cos he was too nervous and he came back with 5 minutes to go with a crows back-to-back premiership shirt on, it was truly unbelievable day :D most of the game is just a blur to me unfortunately obviously i remember a few of the jarman goals cos we were up his end and i remember highfiving the players on their lap of honour to the song of 'we are the champions'

i appreciate it alot more now as i was just a kid then.. luckily we got plenty of photos that we will have forever

I was 13 In 1997 and managed to get to the 1997 grand Final (thanks to a work friend of my mum) and sat in the great Southern Stand on the right hand side behind the goals.

Reading James23 post brought back so many memories and feelings of my own, the grand Final caused so many nerves and unexpected moment, and I guess I didn’t really appreciate it at the time. 8 year on I know that if we get to another one I will soak in every moment.

Apr 10, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
NAFC
this thread is a wonderful read, i was 15 when we won in 97 but watched it at home with mates and family, 98 i had to bloody work (at woolworths) but we had TVs set up everywhere, no work was done because we all stood around watching the game, as did the customers

it makes me want North to back a GF bad because i will definately be at that game!

Feb 3, 2004
in a happy place
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
panthers, ukraine & broncos
I was very lucky to attend both. Essay following ;)

'97 spent the whole week trying desperately to get a ticket - what annoyed me most that week was that my bf at the time had access to the afl finals series tickets where you got entrance to one game at the MCG for each final week. We discussed it and bought two finals series tickets. He lent the tickets to his uncle who lived in Victoria, but there was always the understanding that we would use the two tickets for the GF if the crows made it. The week came and he decided that he would use one ticket but still allow his uncle to use the other one. Nikki was not a happy girl! Tried almost every way possible to get a ticket. In the end decided to still drive over and see if I could get a ticket outside the ground. The night before though we were told that the umpire from SA that was selected to umpire the grand final, his wife was not going to go so I could use her pass. I actually just walked into the ground through the players entrance with the umpires, didn't have to show any ticket or pass! I was then told to walk up a set of stairs into the afl members area and just find a seat. By the time we arrived half way through the under 18 game almost all the seats were taken, but a friendly yellow coat managed to find what seemed to be a spare seat which was in the middle of a group of friends that were melbourne and collingwood supporters that just wanted to watch a good grand final. The noise was great the whole game and being in the middle of enemy territory was interest, but I supported my team the whole game. Half way through the last quarter those melbourne and collingwood supporters were telling me that we had the game won, but I kept telling them that I know my team and we could still lose it from here. I was a little disturbed that the collingwood supporter actually knew our club song and was singing it at me through the last quarter! The end was an amazing feeling, as a South supporter I didn't quite know what to feel, but headed down to the fence to keep singing that song. And that group of victorians hung around through all the presentations and to clap the crows off the ground. So all up getting into the ground for free was nice.

98 - had tickets down the Darren Jarmen end with the family through our gold tickets. We were just the other side of the scoreboard and in the next bay were all the Kangaroos supporters. On the other side of the race behind the goals were the Kangaroos cheer squad. In the lead up to the game I remember them starting their club song and all the crows supporters around them would start on our song and drown them out. In the pre match entertainment I remember the F18's mainly because they did their vertical climb directly above us and the loud bang was something that I really don't want to hear again. We had banter going back and forth the whole game, but the main one was through the first half one guy would keep yelling at us "Get Caven off, he's useless". My little sister has a crows guernsey at that stage and with a number 44 on her back. She is a little thing with a very loud voice, and was 15 at the time. During the last quarter she stood on her chair, aimed that voice at those Kangaroo's supporters and yelled back "Get Carey off, he's useless" :D I can remember not being that worried in the first half, we were still in the game and were waiting to see what blightly would pull out of his bag of tricks. The walk to the glasshouse and the time there yelling was great. Then I remember walking back into the city from there with the other crows supporters, as we were walking down one street and police car came cruising down the road towards us very slowly, and then over their loudspeaker "Go Crows!"
The other main comment we got that night out and about in town were the victorians telling us to 'go home' and our reply was "we are and we're taking our cup with us!" We left Melbourne about midnight and drove all the way back to Adelaide. We were unable to get any accomodation that night and after they had the fire in the gas works that day there was no hot water in the whole of victoria. We were very happy to head home to our own beds and hot water showers. We arrived back home about 8am, (3 drivers in one car helped, plus all those idiots that ring 5aa overnight keep you awake really well as they are just so.... strange), had a couple of hours sleep and then headed to the Showgrounds for some more cheering.

Told you it was going to be an essay.

Feb 14, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Our family have been to both GFs

1997-after the euphoria of being at the MCG for the Crows v Bulldogs Preliminary Final, we drove straight back to Adelaide after the match so we could get on the telephone for GF tickets on Sunday morning. After continually dialling for one and a half hours, I was just about to give up and then heard a voice instead of engaged signal and we had our tickets. Drove over early to go to the GF Parade on Friday, lucky to have accomodation with family although it was a bit of a squeeze with 8 of us in a one bedroom maisonette.
During the whole of the day it seemed so surreal having seen GFs on the TV but to actually be there was completely different. We sat on the top tier of the Olympic Stand in front of the scoreboard with a block of about 500 Crows supporters and one lone St Kilda supporter ! I reeked of alcohol at the end of the match, not because I had imbibed too much bet every time we scored a goal in the last quarter, the guy behind me jumped up holding a glass of beer and it kept spilling over me. Being virtually behind the goals in that memorable last quarter was fantastic. We were all jumping up, hugging each other after every goal in that last quarter -there's nothing like actually being at the game
After absorbing the atmosphere for the next hour we got to the car and drove straight home to Adelaide, getting home at about 2am and then sat up and watched the replay, which we had taped. You really don't feel very tired when adrenalin is still racing through your body !

1998-Became Gold Members. Went to the Prelim Final which was just as satisfying as 1997 although a completely different score. Drove home overnight and lined up outside Rebel Sports for 2 hours to get tickets which were towards the top of the Great Southern Stand on the half forward line-a long way from the play ! Squeezed in with family again. On Saturday morning the kids got in their guernseys and had sprayed their hair red, yellow and blue and stood on the footpath on Camberwell Road waving their flags. Got lots of reaction, mostly positive, from the motorists and most people we met were hoping the Crows would beat North Melbourne.
A little concerned in first half although a lot of their shots in the second quarter were from long range but great in the second half, absolutely privileged to have seen us win back to back flags and soaked up atmosphere for an hour before driving straight home and then watching replay again when we got home

Sorry for the long post -my first one !

Scott

Dec 29, 2000
AFL Club
Adelaide
Got to see both GFs. In 1997, was in the second row in the lower deck of the Ponsford (can see my ugly scone on the GF DVD/Video tape) and everyone around us was Crows. Disappointing about being that far down at near ground level is that we could see jack sh*it when Jarman was get those goals. Just the roar and then we would just jump up and go berserk. Made the hairs (what are left) on the back of my head stand on end. It all happened so quickly I didn't really get to saviour the moment.

In 1998, travelled across for the PF and the plane was like 4 hours late leaving and only got to the ground just before halftime. The plane was chockers with Crows people and when it landed it was a mad rush for the taxis stand and off to the "G". Got in a cab with 3 other people who didn't even know and the only thing we had in common was we were all Crows fans. Great moment. Got up at 3am and lined up for GF tickets at the Arts Centre (the rest of the boys were back in Adelaide having a good old sleep) and got them and the next week it was great again. Remember the gas explosion - no hot food at the "G" on GF day. Was in the Olympic stand where the boys came out and that I was able to saviour this one. Two of the three mates I was with were Roos supporters (they weren't happen Jan) but who give a flying rats toss bag.

I want to experience it again. My local Eagles keep letting me down and I travelled down from Darwin in 1993 to see them win the flag (thought I might never see them in a GF - how wrong thats been - took 30 or so years to see them in a GF and now I've seen them in 4 and the Crows in 2 - I know why the Port people love the GFs - nothing beats them), got absolutely smashed that night and flew back to Darwin the next day.

Dec 29, 2000
AFL Club
Adelaide
Scott Van Persett said:
A little concerned in first half although a lot of their shots in the second quarter were from long range but great in the second half

Bloody good point. If you watch the replay,a lot of those shots were not within 40 metres, most were 40 plus metres and lets remember there was a bit of a breeze around the "G" that day which makes Jars goals in the last quarter even more special!

lincsPJ

Premiership Player
Apr 18, 2005
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
i only got to 97 one.... i was 15 at the time.

remember getting up at 4am for the drive over. best thing about the drive were seeing fellow crows cars with scarves out the windows... pulling into BP at ararat for brekky - seeing more crows supporters. adrenalin galore leading up to the big one :)

then listening to 3aw as we got closer to melbourne and greg champion was on talking up his beloved crows - and singing his song "i love the crows". (i cant remember if he cracked out "come from adelaide" :p)

i got some of the last tickets available - which were standing room under the GSS. but my view was still perfect unless the ball was kicked 25m up in the air!! it was all crows where i was standing. and we made a shirtload of noise. one of the biggest roars was when weed stood up (he was sitting a few rows in front of us).

the moments that stand out in my mind were the 2 DJ goals from the same pocket on the 4Q. i was standing right behind them, willing him to kick it straight at me!

after the game as we were walking over to the tennis centre, ron barassi came up to me and said "go you crowies!!"... unbelievable day. nothing has topped it yet.

rayven

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 26, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
PC racing
saw 97 from home:( but never forget that i knew we were premiers when we went 15 points up in the third quarter. that play that lead to caven kicking a goal showed us as in control and st kilda panicing

98 was worse i was in hospital, if you think thats bad they had scheduled maintaince on the electrical systems when the game was on ,so no power:eek: :(
had to of been a power supporter in charge of maintaince:thumbsdown:
but me smart i got a extension cord from my mum and plugged the hospital tv into the emergency power outlet:cool: , if the nurses caught me i was in it deep as extensions cords from outside the hospital break every bloody occupational health and safty law imaginable

marvin

Premiership Player
Oct 24, 2000
Tired old hack in Melb
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide
kirky said:
Disappointing about being that far down at near ground level is that we could see jack sh*it when Jarman was get those goals.

Trust me Kirky - I was about 8 rows from the back in the Ponsford bottom tier, and you couldn't see Jars from there either (other than on the big screen). We were basically going up on the roar from the other end. However, I can still picture Shane Ellen drifting in all alone on the goal line to mark virtually unopposed as if it happened 5 minutes ago - and I guess the fans down the other end didn't get to see that one. :D

kirky said:
Got up at 3am and lined up for GF tickets at the Arts Centre

I spent the night outside the MCG on Brunton Avenue - and thanking the nice 3AW announcer (well, I'm told it was 3AW) who kept reminding all the drivers going along the road that there was a bunch of Crows fans attempting to get a bit of rest, resulting in us being serenaded by horns all night. It was all worth it 5 nights later.

Jun 21, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
49ers, AFC Wimbledon, Utah Jazz
I was at the 98 grand final, we got off the bus from melbourne from the WB V Adelaide prelim and got straight in line for tickets in rundle mall about two or three days later we got tickets (standing area).

It was great and because the standing area was about 95% crows supporters and with the standing area being enclosed we were so loud that a group of North supporters seated in the rows in front of us complained to police that we were being too loud which was very funny. I remember the first half being very frustrating for both sides due to North playing better football than us, but also frustrating for them as their finishing was very poor.

I remember it being so hard to hear the announcements over the microphone when they were presenting the medals other than that I think it was just so surreal being there seeing Adelaide in a GF that I guess I never took it all in. I also distinctly remember 2 or 3 North supporters that threw their guernseys in the bin after they lost, I couldnt believe it !!!!!

drakeyv2

Club Legend
Jul 30, 2004
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide
Was there in 98 (shoulda, woulda coulda in 97 too but that's another story).

Booked the flights, accomodation & got the tickets on the Monday after the prelim. Paid full tote odds for the flights, had accododation in little bourke st & got the tickets thru a mate at the club.

It was the week the gas plant went up in smoke so you couldn't get a decent meal in Melbourne if your life depended on it.

Had seats on ground level at the start of a section in the GSS. Best seats I have ever had at the MCG.

Had to put up with a ********er North supporter waiving a toy duck around pre game & all thru the 1st 1/2. He wasn't so happy after 1/2 time. Nearly got in a punch up with him near the end after i suggested he ******** off with the rest of the losers. The close proximity of the cops & a desire to bask in glory stopped it from going any further.

I spent 1/2 of the main break convincing my wife that North had blown their bolt in the 1st half & we were a shoe in so she could stop whinging about the thousands of dollars we had blown getting to the game. I then went & smoked about 1/2 a pack freaking out about all the money we had spent to watch us get belted.

After running amock all night after the win we went back to our accomodation & conceived our son, so it was a big weekend all round.

Back