thoughts from last weekend and the weekend approaching...

Remove this Banner Ad

thegur

Team Captain
Oct 8, 2001
west virginia
The game against Freo was encouraging, I'll take the four points any day, however it was far from convincing.

Worrying points -

Depsite their lack of rotation through the midfield, Bell, Cook and Haselby were great against us, we are going to face a similiar standard group next week, one would hope that we don't let Buckley get the ball as much as we did Bell (Jones to run with, maybe with Banners?)

the way some of our defenders play their man. Did anyone else get the impression that we relyed on mistakes by Freo forwards at stages?? I know people have already mentioned McI ntosh v Croad, but I can distinctly remember thinking to myself numerous times "thank god ------ is so *hite, cause he should have taken that mark (gone back and had a shot at goal)".

to quote Dennis "worrying how much of the ball we had compared to the lead".

how much the heat will take out of our game. They played last Thursday while we played in the heat on Sunday, not the most ideal preperation.

Medhurst outclassing Taylor in the second half.

Merenda was quite poor IMO.

Encouraging points -

T-Wil's leads. his attack on the ball, his kicking. Someone asked me to list all the things I think he has going for him, well last Sunday was basically it. Been to lazy to write until now! but the type of play that sums it up was in the 3rd qt when he hit the pack so hard, that it took the two Freo players out (due to the speed and force of his legitimate lead) and Fido? just roved the crumbs and slotted it through. And managed to bounce back after a quiet patch.

Collica is class.

the midfield rotation seemed to work well even though they had plenty of it. The delievery to T-Wil, Scotty would have loved it!!

Tuckey is important to our line-up, and unfortunately for Siera, it could spell the end of him. Although Cox and Gardy have the ruck sewn up and look very imposing, we need Tuckey to counter the agile ruck (Richmond's Ray Hall etc..), also gives an opition around half-forward. A little bit off the track, I went and saw the scum play the cats on Sat nite. Point one, Kingsley gave the scum trouble as well, it's not just us!! Point two, Geelong were terrible off half-back, literally 75% of disposals over 30 metres from the defensive 50, were turnovers or became a ball-up, very frustrating to watch when you are supporting them, got me thinking, who would our targets be for that clearance, and after last weekend, being able to say Gardiner, Embley, Tuckey on the long pass or our running midfield fills me with a greater degree of confidence.

wondering why? -

Amount of game time seen by Glass.

As for next week,

very keen to see Judd get a game. He is ready, although some players require extended condtioning at a lower level, I think, like Kerr, he can be thrown in immediately, in fact, I think given his physical condition, is a better prospect at THIS time of the season.

Collingwood are a different kettle of fish. IMO, they are a 6-12 team as opposed to Freo 12-16, which means our game has to be raised this week, remembering back to last season, they flogged us at Colonial, actually probably our second worst defeat of the year. A real test for us, IMO, to be a top 8 team, we need to beat teams like Collingwood, because they are the other type of teams challenging those spots.

Jak v Rocca? McIntosh v Cummings, Not sure about Tarrant, he is rather toey and can take marks and kick goals, maybe slightly too tall for Collica, ideally for Glass (or Gaspar), but are either ready? Could be a real challenge for Glass. Like I said Banners/Jones on Buckley, Clinton King had a blinder on Cuz last year.

think that is about it..

depending on how busy i am later in the week determines whether i can get a T-Wil banner to the game! But in all seriousness, we need an encouraging performance this weekend.

rant over

thegur

Originally posted by thegur
depending on how busy i am later in the week determines whether i can get a T-Wil banner to the game! But in all seriousness, we need an encouraging performance this weekend.

I was thinking of making a banner of my own -- to be put up when WCE are winning:

Where'd all the pies go, scotty?

Sort of make fun of his weight and at the same time ask whats happened to collingwood

IN MY OPINION......................

Players get pumped for a derby and often look tired the week after. our Derby was played in high heat and humidity which will have an effect. We also have less than a week for recovery and a 5 hour plane journey to contend with. Pies wiull have had a week and a half to recover and no traveling at all.

If the boys put up half a good show on the weekend I'll be proud of them.

Maybe Woosha will be tempted to put some fresh legs in the team.

Originally posted by Frodo
IN MY OPINION......................

Players get pumped for a derby and often look tired the week after. our Derby was played in high heat and humidity which will have an effect. We also have less than a week for recovery and a 5 hour plane journey to contend with. Pies wiull have had a week and a half to recover and no traveling at all.

If the boys put up half a good show on the weekend I'll be proud of them.

Maybe Woosha will be tempted to put some fresh legs in the team.

That's right and probably a good reason to retain Chambers in the side. Neither Judd nor Humm will have fresh legs having played on the Monday.

We were terrible against Collingwood last year and I expect us to play much better this year.

The long break may not help Collingwood much though, it always seems to be difficult to get going after any more than an 8 day break.

I think Collica may get the job on Tarrant. He will certainly be at least Plan B (ie if Glass doesn't work out). Who will take Nick Davis?

Definitely a good idea to rotate Banners and Jones on to Buckley, hopefully they can shut him out. I know Bell wasnt tagged for the derby but if we let Buckley get 39 possesions he will hurt us a lot more than Bell did.

Collica is all class, Medhurst was running rings around Taylor after Taylor had the ascendancy early but then the switch came and Collica just shut out Medhurst. He should get the job on Tarrant, IMO Tarrant isnt as good as everyone touts him to be, certainly not in the top 50 in the comp.

Who from Collingwood will run with Cousins? They wouldnt be stupid enough to not tag him would they? I'd also love to hear what there saying about Fletcher, i bet there a little worried. :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back