A-League

Do you support expansion

• Yes, for the good of the league

Votes: 65 82.3%
  • No, the league is fine the way it is

Votes: 14 17.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2018/04/03/phoenix-brink-league-expansion-looms

The formal commencement of the expansion process has added further pressure on the Phoenix, whose licence agreement expires at the end of season 2019-20 - the same season when two new teams will join the competition.
Further extensions will only occur if the club hits certain 'metrics' around attendances and increased broadcast rights, but not even Phoenix co-owner Gareth Morgan is optimistic about reaching them.
If they don't, it paves the way for another expansion outfit to replace the Phoenix in season 2020-21.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

piss them of they ad nothing 2 the aleagye.

We need FFA out of the picture to survive.. Yes we're doing poorly at the moment, but so is the rest of the league in crowd figures, TV ratings etc.

We're just a scapegoat for the FFA. They'll all say: "Good on the FFA for getting rid of the Nix. Now our league will be better off", when it's only one club out of 7 or 8 who are dragging the league's numbers down.

http://dailyfootballshow.com/were-n...ington-phoenix-must-stay-scott-galloway-says/

Wellington Phoenix defender Scott Galloway believes the value the Kiwi club can add to the A-League should outweigh the negatives as its future is again thrown up in the air.

AAP reported on Tuesday that once more, Wellington’s position in the A-League was under threat, failing to meet key “metrics”.

“They have metrics to hit, and we’ll continue to work with Wellington Phoenix to see whether or not they’re interested in improving their club to a point where those metrics become achievable,” Head of A-League and W-League Greg O’Rourke is quoted as saying.

Wellington have endured a torrid season on and off the field, sitting bottom of the table with the head coach post currently vacant.

Chris Greenacre is filling the role while a replacement for Darije Kalezic, who stepped aside in March, is sought.

It has proven another underwhelming season for a club that has not reached the finals since the 2014-15 season.

Nix home games have been played in front of dwindling crowds at an average of 5,809 this season while TV ratings continue to be problematic.

This is far from the first time the Nix’s position in the competition has come under the microscope since their inclusion in 2008.

The club battled to have its licence renewed in 2016, when it and FFA ultimately agreed to a conditional 10-year plan dependent on meeting the “metrics” O’Rourke spoke of.

Australian full-back Galloway, who moved to the Nix from Central Coast Mariners before the 2017-18 season, hoped any decisions over the club’s future would take more than just the current season into consideration.

“A lot of people have their own opinions … just because it’s been a bad year this year, you can’t just throw it in and say they don’t deserve to be in the league,” he said on Wednesday’s Daily Football Show.

“There’s been other teams that have had really bad years in the competition … performance brings the crowds.

“When everything’s going well, obviously a lot more fans are going to turn up, but it’s like that with every single club in the league.

“You’ve got to look at what it brings and what it brings to young footballers, opportunities that it gives.

“We do compete. Results might not go our way, but we’re not just a walkover in the league.

“The fans that have stuck by us through thick and thin have been amazing and you can’t thank them enough, and to have fans like that, it shows how special the club is and what the club does for the environment around and the local community.

“Even New Zealand football, just to have a team in there, it’s a pathway for New Zealand players and Australian players and all.

“It’s something I feel would be very disappointing if they let go.”

Galloway is one of up to a dozen Phoenix players fighting for new deals beyond the conclusion of the season.

He inked a one-year deal when moving to New Zealand and has since battled through a season interrupted by injury.

The 22-year-old is eyeing a strong conclusion to the season with two games remaining, starting with former club Melbourne Victory on Sunday.

“I’ve got two games left, I’ve got to put my best foot forward, even for myself just to finish the season strong,” Galloway said.

“For me it’s been a bit of an up and down year with injury at the start and trying to find a bit of fitness again.

“There’s two games left, two big games, obviously (there’s) not much to play for but respect for ourselves now.

“For me, it’s just about concentrating on my own performances and doing what I can from the team and going from there after that.”

The FFA is just lurching from one crisis to another. Originally they needed to Socceroos to prop up the A League, then the A league to prop up the Socceroos. Decisions being made to change focus and spin the narrative they are in control.

The game desperately needs a circuit breaker and to split the league away from the FFA.

On expansion I'm no fan brining in failed teams like the GC. The league needs some new energy, fans that are desperate for involvement in appropriate stadiums (10k not 30k). To me Tassie is perfect for that. Will a 2nd Brisbane team or 3rd Sydney or Melbourne team bring that? I doubt it.

piss them of they ad nothing 2 the aleagye.

We need FFA out of the picture to survive.. Yes we're doing poorly at the moment, but so is the rest of the league in crowd figures, TV ratings etc.

We're just a scapegoat for the FFA. They'll all say: "Good on the FFA for getting rid of the Nix. Now our league will be better off", when it's only one club out of 7 or 8 who are dragging the league's numbers down.

Is there a rivalry between Auckland and Wellington? If they rebranded to NZ FC or whatever and split the games between the two cities would it help drive up interest? What a are junior participation rates like in NZ? They have over 400,000 residents in Wellington and can't get more than 6k to a game. I wonder if they won a few championships if the Kiwis would get onboard.

Is there a rivalry between Auckland and Wellington? If they rebranded to NZ FC or whatever and split the games between the two cities would it help drive up interest? What a are junior participation rates like in NZ? They have over 400,000 residents in Wellington and can't get more than 6k to a game. I wonder if they won a few championships if the Kiwis would get onboard.
Yes and no. Auckland City V Wellington in a professional league would work wonders for crowds, but I think the main rivalry is between the North and South islands, but because Christchurch is on a dangerous fault line.. It's so unsustainable.

The Wellington fans complained about moving this last game to Auckland, they're not going to want to share matches with Auckland, especially when you'll only get 4k there tomorrow. Which is understandable, I think as you don't want to alienate the loyal fanbase and make them feel undesired. So while Auckland's crowds may go up 1-2k, Welly's will go down again. Besides, Auckland has had its chance to prove itself time and time again, and just doesn't deliver crowds-wise.
I couldn't tell you about the participation over there, sorry. Rugby is still preferred, I'd say.
Oh, and NZ FC doesn't go down well with the Yellow Fever at all..

Kiwis are very much fair weather fans. Even in rugby league and union. All we need is a few wins next season to start getting everyone back slowly but surely.

Yes there's a big rivalary between Auckland and Wellington. The nix play games in Auckland and try and avoid wearing the Wellington regions colours of yellow and black.

Yes and no. Auckland City V Wellington in a professional league would work wonders for crowds, but I think the main rivalry is between the North and South islands, but because Christchurch is on a dangerous fault line.. It's so unsustainable.
That's not true. The main rivalry is between the three big cities Akl, Well & Ch.

The Wellington fans complained about moving this last game to Auckland, they're not going to want to share matches with Auckland, especially when you'll only get 4k there tomorrow. Which is understandable, I think as you don't want to alienate the loyal fanbase and make them feel undesired. So while Auckland's crowds may go up 1-2k, Welly's will go down again
Good point. A wellington team want draw well in Auckland ever. The NZ Warriors (see the name) works well around the whole country wearing Black, Silver & Red which are national colours (maori link to the red). Even calling them the NZ Phoenix won't get Aucklanders to support them when they wear black and yellow. It'd be like a combined NSW/QLD side trying to get Qld support wearing blue!

I couldn't tell you about the participation over there, sorry. Rugby is still preferred, I'd say.
Union is definitely the clear #1 but soccer isn't far behind league. It all depends on location really. League is strong in South Auckland and the Pacific community and is #1 there, soccer is stronger across the rest of the country especially with anglo & europeans but does have to contest with union for their support. It's angle is being a safer less physical sport to play so youth participation is very high. Large parts of Auckland have ex-pat Britts which is where a smart club administrator would look to tap into. Liverpool, Spurs, Rangers & United all have massive supporter events over there.

Sage: Expand the A-League to Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia and Hong Kong

Perth Glory owner Tony Sage wants to see the A-League represent Southern-Asia and beyond, starting with his plans to host a match in Borneo.
Sage has grand plans for A-League expansion, including increasing the scope of the competition from Australia and New Zealand to represent at least four of Australia's northern neighbors.

As a result, Perth Glory have signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the Serawak FA (Malaysia) to host an A-League match on the island of Borneo.

FFA has granted approval, all that's missing, says Sage, is a willing opponent.

“It will be fantastic to play in Malaysia,” Sage told The World Game.

“Why the FFA looks inwards for expansion, when we have over 300 million football-mad supporters in Asia seven hours to our north, is beyond me.

“It just takes bold decisions and a bit of politicking with the AFC (to make things happen)."

Sage believes the potential increase to broadcast revenue from expanding the A-League into other Asian countries is too good to pass up.

“I’d bring in four teams over the next two stages of the expansion process - one from Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia and Hong Kong," he said.

“It would greatly enhance the numbers of people watching and following our football and, most importantly, boost our broadcast revenue.”

https://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news...apore-malaysia-indonesia-and-hong-kong-489205

Interesting.. don't see how it helps Australian footballers or football in Australia in general. Will help with TV audience through I guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sage: Expand the A-League to Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia and Hong Kong

Perth Glory owner Tony Sage wants to see the A-League represent Southern-Asia and beyond, starting with his plans to host a match in Borneo.
Sage has grand plans for A-League expansion, including increasing the scope of the competition from Australia and New Zealand to represent at least four of Australia's northern neighbors.

As a result, Perth Glory have signed a Memorandum of Understanding with the Serawak FA (Malaysia) to host an A-League match on the island of Borneo.

FFA has granted approval, all that's missing, says Sage, is a willing opponent.

“It will be fantastic to play in Malaysia,” Sage told The World Game.

“Why the FFA looks inwards for expansion, when we have over 300 million football-mad supporters in Asia seven hours to our north, is beyond me.

“It just takes bold decisions and a bit of politicking with the AFC (to make things happen)."

Sage believes the potential increase to broadcast revenue from expanding the A-League into other Asian countries is too good to pass up.

“I’d bring in four teams over the next two stages of the expansion process - one from Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia and Hong Kong," he said.

“It would greatly enhance the numbers of people watching and following our football and, most importantly, boost our broadcast revenue.”

https://www.fourfourtwo.com.au/news...apore-malaysia-indonesia-and-hong-kong-489205

Interesting.. don't see how it helps Australian footballers or football in Australia in general. Will help with TV audience through I guess.
Didnt work with the NBL.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Have posted in the General thread but is appropriate to also post in here.

A-League: Wellington Phoenix looks finished as rival franchises eye licence
David Davutovic Exclusive, Sunday Herald Sun
4 minutes
WELLINGTON Phoenix is exploring the option of selling at least a partial stake to one of the expansion hopefuls, as their A-League future appears doomed.

Under-siege Phoenix owners are believed to have held talks with two expansion groups in recent days about a sale with offers rangingfrom partial to a full buyout.

But the Kiwi club’s owners are leaning towards a “merger”, as they look to cash inbefore their A-League licence expires in 2020.

The South-west (Campbelltown) bid is believed to have held formal talks, with the consortium keen to become the A-League’s next expansion club.

The Sunday Herald Sun understands that any purchase below 50 per cent does not need to be ratified by FFA, although the governing body could not confirm this.

Southern Expansion (The joint Sutherland-St George-Illawarra bid) denied holding talks last week, but confirmed that they made an offer to buy Phoenix six months ago.

May 24 is the date set by Football Federation Australia for formal Expression Of Interest submissions, with at least 10clubs/consortiums expected to apply.

Wellington Phoenix appear to be on borrowed time in the A-League.
South Melbourne also made a play to buy Wellington 11 months ago before talks broke down with the former NSL championsreluctant to pursue a hybrid model.

Negotiations centred on buying a 25 per cent stake for $1.5 million with games split between Wellington and Lakeside Stadium while South would have fielded W-League and youth teams.

“We had preliminary, forthright discussions with Wellington about what South Melbourne could offer, especially regards to bringing a W-League and youth league component,’’ bid chairman Bill Papastergiadis said.

FFA announced that they would expand by two teams in 2019-20, although confusion reigns around expansion.

“The FFA have not been formally advised of discussions. It’s important to understand that their licence is territorial to Wellington and New Zealand and expires at the end of 2019-20,’’ A-League chief Greg O’Rourke said.

“Transferring that licence to Australia would need to be considered by the FFA both to the points of valuation and geographiclocation and importantly the current process of expansion, which has just begun.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/f...e/news-story/0c8bbddfad2d275cfe41cc281799ffed

Rob Morrison (our CEO?) will hopefully talk to Jason Pine on the radio tonight, I'll post the updates when someone in NZ on the Yellow Fever gives me the link :D

jd2010 It's on at 3-4pm, Radio Sport, if you're interested!
I'm back in Aus now but I'll jump on their site around then and see if they post any updates. Is that NZ time?

Good chance it's lip service type material

Back