Thoughts on Hamish McLachlan in the booth tonight?

Remove this Banner Ad

Trys way too hard - not that the other commentators don't. Huddo is the only decent caller going these days. Tim Lane and Quarters were ok.

Trys way too hard - not that the other commentators don't. Huddo is the only decent caller going these days. Tim Lane and Quarters were ok.

I always thought Tim Lane tried to come up with too many Shakespearean lines try and sound intelligent.

Quarters was alright if it wasn't a Hawthorn game. But then I imagine it's the same with Huddo and Geelong.

Bring back Rex Hunt!

Not sure if majority is serious. What happened tonight, for the first time on a Friday that I can recall, is that the commentators ACTUALLY CALLED THE GAME. Why? Because Bruce wasn't there to * it up. Dennis was kept in check and it was most refreshing. No weird sexual themes, no sycophantic crooning, no awful vaudeville, no floundering for a word and no butchery of the English language. Say what you like about McLachlan being dull (which he was), he did not use terms like "sweeper upperer" which immediately puts him ahead. Leave him there for the rest of the season.

I find the bloke really confusing to listen to.

Commentary should just be that...clear, concise and enthusiastic commentating on the game.

When you have to stop and try and work out whether his calling makes sense, you know he's rubbish.

"about the place"
"kicks it back to where it opened up"

Can't remember the others but there were plenty. He also struggles to call the unfolding game and add some theater to it, it's just one monotone, usually on three second delay struggling to find the right words to describe the basic of plays.

Has to improve, you'd hope...but I'm sure Denis was cringing most of the night.

I thought he was an improvement on Bruce but that's not saying much.

It was just nice to have a different combination of commentators, the Bruce and Dennis show is really starting to wear thin.

This has a whiff of "yay, Channel 7's got the footy back!" about it. If Bruce or Dennis ever shuffle off and we're left with Hamish as the king of the castle I'm disabling the speakers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find the bloke really confusing to listen to.

Commentary should just be that...clear, concise and enthusiastic commentating on the game.

When you have to stop and try and work out whether his calling makes sense, you know he's rubbish.

"about the place"
"kicks it back to where it opened up"

Can't remember the others but there were plenty.

This. You spend the whole match trying to figure out what he's saying. Mostly because he seems to start sentences without knowing how to end them, and then tries to figure it out halfway through. I'm sure live commentary is a tough thing to do well, but surely there are some better options.

His commentary skills aren't good at all, but it was a less irritating package on Friday night than usual. Dennis was better without Bruce and their weird banter and it didn't have the general gumbyness that is the Saturday arvo team.

He's doing as well as you'd expect a guy whose brother is 2IC at the AFL.

Like the work experience kid at his Daddy's business, he's pretty average but will continue to get a gig because no-one's prepared to tell him he's shite.

Think he's great. Not sure how many times he's called a game on television but there is definitely something there. Has been quite refreshing having a different combo on a Friday night.
Is that you RompingWins?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back