Thoughts on Justin Reeves... ???

Remove this Banner Ad

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
Just watched the video on the Hawks webite on him.

Having worked for Pert at Collingwood and Brian Cook at Geelong, he certainly has some good work experience pedigree.

Was pretty underwhelmed with how he came across in the video though.

Assume he is brighter than he appeared in it...

Does anyone have any personal experiences with him or an informed view?

944861_thumb_326x184.jpg

Just watched the video on the Hawks webite on him.

Having worked for Pert at Collingwood and Brian Cook at Geelong, he certainly has some good work experience pedigree.

Was pretty underwhelmed with how he came across in the video though.

Assume he is brighter than he appeared in it...

Does anyone have any personal experiences with him or an informed view?

944861_thumb_326x184.jpg
He’s a good leader, as with any CEO relies on having quality people beneath him.

I haven't worked with him directly so can't say much with authority - however anyone who has post-graduate qualifications from Melbourne Business School and Harvard Business School has probably not fluked their way through some multiple choice tests.

I haven't worked with him directly so can't say much with authority - however anyone who has post-graduate qualifications from Melbourne Business School and Harvard Business School has probably not fluked their way through some multiple choice tests.
So you say he could be an educated idiot? ;)

Both these 'qualifications' he completed within a single year whilst he was gainfully employed at Collingwood, so likely they were purely cushy management 'courses', not 'qualifications', that the Pies paid him to attend, probably in the off-season. One was whilst he was the Director of Membership and IT, the other, when he was Director of Commercial Operations.

I think we've cleared that up...

Hope it plays out well and he becomes a great asset to the Club, particularly after the recent senior management debacles.

Both these 'qualifications' he completed within a single year whilst he was gainfully employed at Collingwood, so likely they were purely cushy management 'courses', not 'qualifications', that the Pies paid him to attend, probably in the off-season. One was whilst he was the Director of Membership and IT, the other, when he was Director of Commercial Operations.

Hope it plays out well and he becomes a great asset to the Club, particularly after the recent senior management debacles.
Additionally, the entry requirements for these type of courses are based on paying the fees (first), employment history (second) other quals (third). If you have enough of the first you don't need as much of the second or third.

Most MBA courses are one year - particularly executive MBA courses. You can choose to diminish them all you want - I don’t think qualifications from MBS and Harvard are things to be dismissive about.

And the Harvard course he won a scholarship for through the AFL - which I’m sure was at least somewhat meritorious.

Most MBA courses are one year - particularly executive MBA courses. You can choose to diminish them all you want - I don’t think qualifications from MBS and Harvard are things to be dismissive about.

And the Harvard course he won a scholarship for through the AFL - which I’m sure was at least somewhat meritorious.
My friend, I don't want to seem completely cynical, but...

The basic degree from Harvard Business School is an MBA. It's a 2-year, full-time course. They don't offer an exec-MBA option. Admission requirements are high; the course is demanding. Geelong's Colin Carter has a real Harvard qualification.

Reeves would have done one of the myriad of short courses offered by HBS. Here's a list of 70+ of these offerings, showing prices:
https://www.exed.hbs.edu/programs/Pages/program-finder.aspx

I doubt the application forms for these even have spaces for you to put in info like a GMAT score. I know a local real estate agent, with no uni degree, who did one of these HBS courses. They cost US$2.5-3k/day. To spell it out, everybody who pays & turns up passes.

Given that the Samuel Scholarship provides A$20k, you have to wonder whether Reeves did more than a one- or two-week long HBS training course. (Six-week courses cost US$70-80k.)

I've no idea what he studied at Melb Business School. He could have done a 1-year (part-time) exec-MBA, while simultaneously working at the Pies; but none of the puff pieces profiling him mention him having earned a degree at MBS. Like HBS, MBS offers lots of short, lucrative "executive programs"; maybe he did one of these.

The basic degree from Harvard Business School is an MBA. It's a 2-year, full-time course. They don't offer an exec-MBA option. Admission requirements are high; the course is demanding. Geelong's Colin Carter has a real Harvard qualification.

Reeves would have done one of the myriad of short courses offered by HBS. Here's a list of 70+ of these offerings, showing prices:

I doubt the application forms for these even have spaces for you to put in info like a GMAT score. I know a local real estate agent, with no uni degree, who did one of these HBS courses. They cost US$2.5-3k/day. To spell it out, everybody who pays & turns up passes.

Given that the Samuel Scholarship provides A$20k, you have to wonder whether Reeves did more than a one- or two-week long HBS training course. (Six-week courses cost US$70-80k.)

I've no idea what he studied at Melb Business School. He could have done a 1-year (part-time) exec-MBA, while simultaneously working at the Pies; but none of the puff pieces profiling him mention him having earned a degree at MBS. Like HBS, MBS offers lots of short, lucrative "executive programs"; maybe he did one of these.
Exactly. It all depends on the courses. I did one at Harvard for a week. Cost 3k, was interesting, but not well above and beyond what was offered at Melbourne Uni or even some of the courses I attended at Monash.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well you’re being cynical - which I don’t dislike as I’m a cynic myself. However - I’m just playing devil’s advocate for the bloke. I don’t know anything more than what’s on his LinkedIn profile.

Of course any puff piece in the media is going to mention his HBS qualification because Harvard sounds better than Melbourne Uni.

We have no proof these were one year courses - his LinkedIn profile just has the years of graduation.

I just don’t get why we can’t get a bit excited about the bloke’s academic achievements instead of doing the usual Aussie bucket of crab behaviour and tearing his achievements down. He’s our CEO and it’s in all our interests that he gets the job done. How about we get around him instead of play detective in trying to tear him down?

All I was trying to point out in my original post is that I think it unfair to assume the bloke isn’t intelligent because he didn’t speak like a character from an Aaron Sorkin script in an interview on the HFC website.

He was very good on SEN this morning. He covered off a few things which he was queried about.

- Jeff and he had some robust discussions prior to his appointment to make sure they were both on the same page.
Justin, Clarkson and Jeff all have a strong understanding of how the club will communicate to the members and at what times.
Said that although the club has had some change recently he still thinks that we have really strong stability within the business in a lot of departments and that some people just needed to have some 1 on 1 discussions to have the clubs future reinforced with them.

- west waters and reliance on pokie revenue was discussed. Justin said that it’s imortant to remember that WW is also a hotel/restaurant and bar, and that we are very strong on how these venues are managed as a whole, within the community.

- We have plans to be based at Dingley in 2022. Currently budgeting for $70 million to get onsite, but understand that it might move out to be closer to $90 to $100 mill.

- Vickery, is a family friend, and he was aware prior to joining Hawthorn that Ty was dealing with multiple things in his life. Wasn’t surprised to find that he was considering walking away, and left that up to the football department to deal with.

- very disappointed with the AFLW failure, but will continue to push hard for a team of our own and will be working to the future with our Box Hill women’s team.

Well you’re being cynical - which I don’t dislike as I’m a cynic myself. However - I’m just playing devil’s advocate for the bloke. I don’t know anything more than what’s on his LinkedIn profile.

Of course any puff piece in the media is going to mention his HBS qualification because Harvard sounds better than Melbourne Uni.

We have no proof these were one year courses - his LinkedIn profile just has the years of graduation.

I just don’t get why we can’t get a bit excited about the bloke’s academic achievements instead of doing the usual Aussie bucket of crab behaviour and tearing his achievements down. He’s our CEO and it’s in all our interests that he gets the job done. How about we get around him instead of play detective in trying to tear him down?

All I was trying to point out in my original post is that I think it unfair to assume the bloke isn’t intelligent because he didn’t speak like a character from an Aaron Sorkin script in an interview on the HFC website.
It doesn't to me. If I have a choice between employing someone from Melbourne Uni and Harvard, I'd go Melbourne Uni every time, at least on Monday morning around the water fountain you don't have to listen to words like "Tally ho" and "jodhpurs" and "wot!". But then again, I once gave a position to a guy in boardies over a guy in a suit for a post graduate research fellowship, because he was the better interview. (He'd just come from a surfing comp and made the final so he didn't get a chance to change as he didn't expect to get so far into the comp.)

It doesn't to me. If I have a choice between employing someone from Melbourne Uni and Harvard, I'd go Melbourne Uni every time, at least on Monday morning around the water fountain you don't have to listen to words like "Tally ho" and "jodhpurs" and "wot!". But then again, I once gave a position to a guy in boardies over a guy in a suit for a post graduate research fellowship, because he was the better interview. (He'd just come from a surfing comp and made the final so he didn't get a chance to change as he didn't expect to get so far into the comp.)

I’m taking about what reads better to a mass audience though. As prestigious and regarded as Melbourne Uni is - I’m sure the general public would be more impressed to read ‘Harvard’ in a puff piece because there are multiple movies and TV shows that discuss how good Harvard is.

You’re dead on that there’s more to selecting a good candidate though - so let’s hope that Justin has ticked all the boxes the board wanted ticked when selecting him.

How did he turn out?

My friend, most MBA courses are not one year. And I have a qualification from MBS, a full MBA, so certainly don't diminish it.

It's attending (short) 'courses' and then implying you are a graduate of that school that I find a little confusing.

My work sends a lot of people to a course at Oxford University and post attending, I don't recall even a single person updating their LinkedIn profile to show they attended Oxford Uni... probably because they already have degrees, which Justin clearly does not have.

For mine it doesn't matter either way if he went to Uni or not, as long as he does a great job. It seems to matter to him though.

My friend, most MBA courses are not one year. And I have a qualification from MBS, a full MBA, so certainly don't diminish it.

It's attending (short) 'courses' and then implying you are a graduate of that school that I find a little confusing.

My work sends a lot of people to a course at Oxford University and post attending, I don't recall even a single person updating their LinkedIn profile to show they attended Oxford Uni... probably because they already have degrees, which Justin clearly does not have.

For mine it doesn't matter either way if he went to Uni or not, as long as he does a great job. It seems to matter to him though.

The current MBA at MBS is advertised as being one year full time. The executive MBAs are generally in this timeframe as well (12-18 months).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back