Thoughts on the immediate future?

Remove this Banner Ad

Smokin

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 9, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
I was speaking to a couple people today from the Carlton footy club. I dont need to say who they were or what they do.

Anyway, their thoughts on what now should happen both suprised me, but in a way I agree and it was sort of refreshing.

In a nutshell:

1) Bite the bullet - mentality must switch to a rebuilding one. Accept the fact the next 2-3 or so are gonna be long and tough.

2) Play many more young players from now on. Give them game time and look to the future.

3) Change the off-field mentality. Lappin should never have played round one - too many players at Carlton get away with murder, and its happened for far too long. Basically - get with the times.

4) Of Coaching panel - Brittain, Stix and Diesel are the 3 most influencial. That must be changed - not necessarily get rid of the coach, but other experienced "outside" people are needed. Coaching staff who wont slap drunks on the wrist - but embarass them and make them play magoos footy. (basically questioned the hardness of the 3 aformentioned people - interesting).

5) Its time for Elliott to go. Perfect time to say Jack - youve had a long and fantastic time here, but its time to move on.

6) Obviously - use the draft properly, look to youth and forget quickfix solutions. This mentaility is outdated. The harsh reality is that Plunkett (and Whitnall but he is established) is the only youngster with real promise to be a champion player. They are sort of "making do" with the rest while rivals Essendon and Collingwood have definite young class to look forward to.

7) There are a fair few who must go at the end of this year.

What do you guys think?

I actually said that its only 2 games - lets relax for a sec. However Im not there, and apparently things are stale at the Club. Changes are needed for the club to propsper.

It is just a good time re-asses proceedings and look to the future.

Also interesting was their opinion of the quick-fix mentality. While some considere it to work- but they came from the angle that quick fix means that sure, Carlton are always thereabouts 8-4 teams with the odd good year, however it doesnt lend to dominant periods for a club.

Also "great players" in the 90's covered the problem a bit - suddenly guys like sos, stix, deisel, Bradley (next year) & Dean are gone.

What do you Carlton fans think - is it the right time to bite the bullet?

Are big changes needed at Carlton like Collingwood to an extent had to go through?

What should be done bigfooty bruvas and sisters? what should be done?

For years carlton has crucified their draft picks, i once remember Jack Elliot once saying "Carlton never rebuilds". Carlton never really gives their young players an extended run, they are too focussed on quick fixes. Brett Backwell was an example of a young midfielder that dominated at Vfl level, wins a liston trophy at the age of 21 but yet they delist him, surely if he is good enough to win the liston he deserves the opportunity to develop at afl level. An example of a player that has taken longer than expected to develop into a top class midfielder is darren Hulme, carlton youngsters are starved of opportunities, compare that to brisbane and essendon, they play their young players and give them every opportunity to succeed. Carlton need to look at their list and give others an opportunity, an example is Michael Davis who is on the rookie list, he is a hard, smart and highly skilled midfielder, carlton have nothing to lose and only to gain in giving him a shot.

Come on blue bags we need you to be up around the top to have a highly sucessful comp.

I am a brisbane supporter.

2) Play many more young players from now on. Give them game time and look to the future.

Whitnall/Camporeale/Houlihan were all given consecutive games, young. They have all gone on to be good. Do we see a pattern emerging?

3) Change the off-field mentality. Lappin should never have played round one - too many players at Carlton get away with murder, and its happened for far too long. Basically - get with the times.

Agree BUT it DOES hurt the team if we leave them out. So there's got to be a solution, but missing games is not necessarily it.

4) Of Coaching panel - Brittain, Stix and Diesel are the 3 most influencial. That must be changed - not necessarily get rid of the coach, but other experienced "outside" people are needed. Coaching staff who wont slap drunks on the wrist - but embarass them and make them play magoos footy. (basically questioned the hardness of the 3 aformentioned people - interesting).

A bit of outside influence would not go astraythough Don Hanly is from StKilda.

5) Its time for Elliott to go. Perfect time to say Jack - youve had a long and fantastic time here, but its time to move on.

I actually like the way Elliot stands up for the club BUT he makes too many people HATE Carlton, and thus we get less new members - bad.

6) Obviously - use the draft properly, look to youth and forget quickfix solutions. This mentaility is outdated. The harsh reality is that Plunkett (and Whitnall but he is established) is the only youngster with real promise to be a champion player. They are sort of "making do" with the rest while rivals Essendon and Collingwood have definite young class to look forward to.

Yeah, and the two aforementioned redheads didn't even come through the draft...

7) There are a fair few who must go at the end of this year.

Any one brave enough to put down a few names? [

I'm not saying it's right or wrong but getting recycled players like Williams,Spalding and Rice won us a flag in 95.Lets face it if you don't get picked up in the top 20 in the draft you will most probably be a average player(yes i know there a exceptions so please don't mention tham all,this is just a general observation).Over the past 10 years we have finished well up the table and only got on average 1 pick in first 20 choices so we are never going to pick up the best players possable.Also doesn't help with teams not winning 5 games in a year.Say we did go for only youngsters from now on,it doesn't guarantee us success 5 years down the track either.Look at Hamill,we developed him and he pissed off.

The Aaron Hamill episode is the perfect illustration of why Elliott must go.

times have changed and a foot club president can't be so rude and abrasive anymore.

Nobody should have to put up with what Hamill copped from Elliott (in a most public way as well) and accordingly, Hamill voted with his feet and walked away in disgust.

Something is rotten in the state of Carlton, and it pervades the entire club culture.

Like Collingwood had to a few years ago, you must seek to renew the whole operation and drag it kicking and screaming into the modern age of professional football clubs.

It starts at the top. The Prez sets the tone, and atm BIG John looks and sounds like something from a bygone era.

Complete renewal is the way forward - start with Elliott and work your way down.

cheers

i said in years end up trade material

i agree its time for a change ,but 2-3 years is a bit too long ,the reason im saying this is because some of our players are at their peek, and by the time new blood is performing these players will bee too old or worse after 4-5 years end up trade material,eg camporale,lappin,koudafiedis,allan ,i think honstly we need too get rid of players like hotton,christou,mansfeild,manton,etc, they need to be replaced by young blood, i feel that mcernern from nth melbourne is just another quick fix thats gonna go wrong,our backline should be strenthen because our midfild is good and our forwards just need a bit of a kick start, i beleive our forward line has great potential, our problem will be in defence,this will be evident this year,when forwards will kick records against us, this will happen i can just see it ,it started with st kilda going ramparde and ended up with the swans kicking record scores.collingwood forward line is not that good but 1 or 2 of them might have a feild day beware!!! essedon,brisbane,port, are gonna kill us!!when they play us even melbourne,richmond,and adelaide will trouble us this year.:mad:

Chin up!

Oh, for God's sake... please draw out some positives. It's only Round 2, remember? Our players are just low on confidence, they will bounce back. And Georgee... saying that Campo, Lappin and Kouta are trade material proves that you're probably not really a Carlton supporter.

Essendon won't kill us because we match up on them well, and the main reason behind it is confidence. If we have this tool, we'll be a good team again. All we lack is confidence and fitness right now... and I assure you they will come back sooner than you can say "Georgee is outweighing the positives with the negatives".

Originally posted by georgee
i agree its time for a change ,but 2-3 years is a bit too long ,the reason im saying this is because some of our players are at their peek, and by the time new blood is performing these players will bee too old or worse trade material,eg camporale,lappin,koudafiedis,allan ,i think honstly we need too get rid of players like hotton,christou,mansfeild,manton,etc, they need to be replaced by young blood, i feel that mcernern from nth melbourne is just another quick fix thats gonna go wrong,our backline should be strenthen because our midfild is good and our forwards just need a bit of a kick start, i beleive our forward line has great potential, our problem will be in defence,this will be evident this year,when forwards will kick records against us, this will happen i can just see it ,it started with st kilda going ramparde and ended up with the swans kicking record scores.collingwood forward line is not that good but 1 or 2 of them might have a feild day beware!!! essedon,brisbane,port, are gonna kill us!!when they play us even melbourne,richmond,and adelaide will trouble us this year.:mad:

This the non Carlton supporter again who claims to have supported them for 30 years, yet has the spelling and grammar of a 3 year old.

Record scores????? St Kilda kicked 89 points against us and Sydney 111!!! That's getting real close to the record:rolleyes:

we expect a lot!!! dont we???

spelling has nothing too do with being a carlton suporter,and i said our champion players after 3-4 years might end up being trade material!!!
ive followed carlton fo over 30 years and i do expect alot from them ive seen them win 4 premerships and loose 3 at personaly the essedon 93 lose was and still is the worst ive ever expereience im still spewing about it!!! im telling it as i see it and the swans did kick a record against us how many times have we being thrashed at home ? not too many.
all im saying i do not see any positives coming out of our backline
it will be our down fall if we do not make the eight!! last year our backline had silvani which gave the others suport, and mackay who had a fantastic year plus our great midfeild that kept our backline statisticly the best last year!! so stop bagging me and talk about the club and our problems remember we are carlton not fremantle!!! and lets face it we have problems!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back