Toast Thread of Appreciation

Hello Bigfooty Collective!

This morning I thought I would start a thread of appreciation. 2020 was a year like no other we've ever had to endure, and I know there's been some losses suffered by posters on here, and I know there's been some really difficult times had by some as well, and that those things we endured haven't necessarily neatly wrapped themselves up just because it's a new year by the Gregorian calendar.

There's also a lot going on in our world right now that is pretty dark, frightening, and causing a fair degree of combativeness and polarisation. Where I live, it feels like it's difficult on more days than not for people around me to find much to be positive about. And when I read some of the threads on this forum, particularly the US election thread, and on many days the Covid thread, it feels the same. All the attention seems to get focused on every negative aspect, and picking apart and criticising every single thing. That's not to say there isn't anything that deserves criticism, or warrants feeling worried or angry about. On the contrary, there's an endless supply. But where does that leave us in the end? Does it solve anything?

So what I'm proposing is a thread to try and counter that a bit. A thread where we can talk about the things we're appreciative for - last year, this year, or today. Or tomorrow. It can be anything, anything in the whole world. Just, what are the things, or one thing, that you appreciate in your life right now? And if you can't think of any, then what do you wish for? That counts too. (And yes, people can post about how they want North to win another flag as many times as their heart desires! All is welcome.)

I'll start us off of course, and I'll revisit this thread many times in an attempt it keep it buoyant throughout the year. 2020 was hard, but hopefully 2021 can be transformational. Or at least the beginning. And I feel like giving appreciation for the things we do have, and pouring some energy to positivity, is a good way to shape that beginning, and carry with us forward.

Shine your lights everyone. And appreciate each other's. ☀:greenheart:

Last edited:
Okay, for me today-

I appreciate TOD being part of my life, and the road that brought us together.

I appreciate being able to have kept my job through Covid, having a roof over my head secure throughout it, a regular pay cheque and enough money to buy groceries, when so many people in this world don't have that right now.

I appreciate not having contracted Covid-19, and everyone I love having not gotten it either.

I appreciate Maj getting a chance to play footy again, and this time with his brother.

I appreciate our former coach being given a new start already, even if it is at the Gold Coast, and healing from the overwhelming challenges he faced last year.

I appreciate all the posters on here who make me laugh. Some of you are funnier than you will ever know. And I mean that in only the best way.

I appreciate ferball, for forever linking goats and black holes in my brain from this day forward.

🐐🐐:) :goat: :goat:

Started two new jobs at the beginning of July last year. Big risk, but so far has paid off big time. Work increased throughout lockdown, but more importantly I’m enjoying work for the first time in about 15 years.

(I’m now a private speech path working alongside a good mate who stated his own business and on non-speech days I’m building dry stone walls for a growing organisation in central Vic).

Not everyone has had it as good as me. But hang in there, life prevails.

disco_cowboy

Club Legend
Feb 18, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Great idea for a thread Sopwiths North

I am grateful that I was able to land another job after being made covid redundant.
I am grateful that I didn't put on weight during the lockdown period and kept my general fitness up.
I am grateful that I have had good friends around me to go and kick a footy with or drink beers in the park.
I am grateful that I found BF and that I now have people who are just as obsessed with footy as i am so I can stop annoying my partner with it.

Jan 23, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Good idea this thread,

The club which is the real reason that bought us all together. Pace, pace and pace with good skills. We made some tough calls ( MaJ) have strengthened our off field team as well. I am excited for our clubs future and ours as supporters.

The people that post in here are a pretty good bunch, see no point if you all were miserable pricks. Not saying there aint miserable pricks among us.
Standing upright is a positive.

I appreciate the fact that while there are a million and one (and building) reasons to loathe Donny Trump, I do take great comfort from the fact that he has taught me, at least, to believe that in fact we won 14 games and lost 3 in 2020, before sweeping all before us to win another flag. Apparently not fake news! :);)

DunderHead

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I was reminded today of the Ben Brown thread and how many times the same people had the same discussion about why Ben Brown had to be traded.

it was interesting > then infuriating > then unbearable > then funny.

Thank you to everyone who made that happen. You know who you are.

I appreciate the fact that while there are a million and one (and building) reasons to loathe Donny Trump, I do take great comfort from the fact that he has taught me, at least, to believe that in fact we won 14 games and lost 3 in 2020, before sweeping all before us to win another flag. Apparently not fake news! :);)

We were unbeaten after two rounds. It was a glorious thing. There was no way we wouldn’t win the flag. Then BBB gets the first two goals against Sydney. There was no way Sydney could come back. It was a beautiful landslide! Then, suddenly, opposition goals appeared from NOWHERE!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

We were unbeaten after two rounds. It was a glorious thing. There was no way we wouldn’t win the flag. Then BBB gets the first two goals against Sydney. There was no way Sydney could come back. It was a beautiful landslide! Then, suddenly, opposition goals appeared from NOWHERE!

Apologies Sopwiths North. I’m sure this wasn’t the direction you intended this thread to go.

Egga

Cancelled
North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2016 Daw & Anderson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Nov 10, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Jul 26, 2007
The Tree
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Coney Island Warriors
Excellent stuff, Sopwiths. Loving the positive mental attitude. Refreshing change from the Bigfooty norm.

'The Grateful Thread'. (Jerry Garcia would approve.)

Stuff I'm grateful for circa now......

- Sopwiths (for being a wonderful, compassionate, patient, whip smart, smoking hot person)
- Still having an income despite the shitshow that was 2020
- TOD Jr passing his VCE, and in a f'ed up year to boot
- Air-con
- Music (Scottish pirate-metal included)
- AFL pushing on despite the Covid stuff
- 76'ers topping the Eastern Conference table (enjoying it while it lasts)
- Re-runs of Derry Girls and Eastbound And Down
- Hoisin Jackfruit Toasts from Coles
- That I'm 50 and not lonely and bitter

So today we had the power knocked out in the middle of surgery. !!! Ended up okay though, we got through it. Not the first time it's happened, we're on a poor section of power grid, so we get a fair bit of outages every year, but this is the first time we had a patient actually mid-surgery when it went out. Doc had to wear her halogen light head-lamp that makes you queasy, and I had to pray to the oxygen gods that the ratio of isoflurane to O2 would hold, and the Co2 still vent with the H-vac system down, but apparently it did, until the power was restored. Phew! So, appreciation! 🙏

But then this arrived!!

p15.jpg

With five others just like him! They were rescued from a drug house, and I gather the mother is no longer alive, unfortunately. They're about 8 days old. One of my coworkers is fostering them. She's a chronic insomniac, and so she pretty much always has an orphaned litter of something that needs feeding every 2 or 3 hours. Puppies, kittens, squirrels, skunks, raccoons, you name it. She's done this for decades. I have so much appreciation for what she has done for so many animals over the years. If life gives you insomnia, foster puppies! 🌛💜

Themanbun

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 19, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Great idea for a thread. So much went wrong for so many this year so let's bring some gratitude and positive energy to the world.

I thank God that despite 2020 being a **** year for so many people, I managed to keep the fundamentals intact: I still had an income, my wife and I never have to consider long distance ever again (last stage of visa approval done and dusted!), everyone I am close to is safe and sound, that we have enjoyed relative stability in our part of the world, and of the people I know who caught COVID, thankfully they were able to recover.

Back