Toast Thread of Appreciation

Remove this Banner Ad

Great thread Sop.
I’m grateful I live in Australia and not some backwater like USA or Europe.
Grateful that family/friends are all ok.
And thankful that us north fans are here to support each other - on the shitful year we had.
Now bring me number 5

Great thread!

2020 wow what a year eh?

Thankfully managed to fit in a fishing trip in the midst of bushfires.

The COVID outbreak couldn't have happened at the worst time than it did being my grad year. Work experience programs basically put on hold and online education was tough (disorganised transition), but I thankfully got the marks I was looking for and restrictions eased a bit for students to enjoy things and find work!

I'm also thankful that people followed the govt restrictions and mandatory mask covering as it contributed to allowing ourselves to have fun (especially during summer) in what was a dreadful year. Although the toilet paper impulse purchase was something I think we can all agree is monkey-esque behaviour! :D

2020 taught me about how tough things can get for people and how important it is to not lose it. I'm thankful I didn't contract the virus and end up on a sickbed, remained healthy for the majority of the year and was able to go about it following govt restrictions.

Coming back from trips to the beach living as if things are normal (besides mandatory mask-wearing indoors and limited indoor numbers) would've been a far-fetched idea if we strayed away from doing the right thing.

Can't stop saying thanks to everyone that made the right decisions because it effectively allowed people like myself to still enjoy things (with family) a young lad otherwise would miss out on.

Maintain possession of masks, follow the rules and soon we will all be back at Marvel ready to scream our lungs out. I know this because our crowd numbers wouldn't be affected by the COVID restrictions! 🤣

Great idea for a thread Sopwiths!

It is and has been very easy to lose one self in a sea of negativity, especially given the last 12-13 months we have faced here - bushfires and Covid.

I think in these given times we are best to try and focus on the small things we can control and focus on the positives that I am sure we can clasp on in all our lives.

I for one am grateful for the lessons the last year has taught me. It has taught me that loved ones and friends are sacred and I am grateful none have fallen ill to Covid.

This year has also taught me that life races by quickly and slowing it down allowed me to enjoy it more by appreciating my family and rekindling lost friendships. I picked up the guitar and began reading again.

This year also taught me to look after myself better and after being made redundant allowed me to do that. I worked on average near on 70 hours a week for over 10 years without many breaks. In future I will strike a much better work - life balance.

I am also grateful for the amount of quality time I have been able to spend with my 3 beautiful girls. They grow so quickly!

2020 was the reset I needed. I am grateful for the opportunity to do this.

I am also grateful for living in this wonderful country. We are truly lucky given with what’s happening in the world. I too would like to thank all that have done the hard yards to get us to where we are near Covid free!!

I am also grateful for finding a place like this to share and read others thoughts on the NMFC!

Parts of 2020 I wasn't sure we'd get here with my older teenage son still alive, so his recovery from admission to a psych ward mid-year to where he is now - stable, enjoying his first paying job, and enrolled to get back to uni - is the thing I am most grateful for. Nothing else much matters now, to be honest.

Also appreciate that in early 2020 my partner and I bought a beach house after thinking about it for 20 years, and have taken up surfing. Already got more use out of it than we expected and there is nothing like a morning beach run or swim or surf to feel that the world is a good place. Easier on my body than footy, too.

Hoisin Jackfruit Toasts
giphy.gif
I'm grateful that my boring middle age, middle class existence prepared me so well for the house-bound dumpster fire that was 2020. Particularly because I got to share it with my awesome, patient and sexy wife.

I'm also grateful for having the opportunity to virtually interact with each and every one of you floggos and flogettes on pretty much a daily basis.

I'm also grateful for the 2022 - 2025 era-defining fourpeat of which we are on the cusp.

View attachment 1040430
I'm grateful that my boring middle age, middle class existence prepared me so well for the house-bound dumpster fire that was 2020. Particularly because I got to share it with my awesome, patient and sexy wife.

I'm also grateful for having the opportunity to virtually interact with each and every one of you floggos and flogettes on pretty much a daily basis.

I'm also grateful for the 2022 - 2025 era-defining fourpeat of which we are on the cusp.

🤣 I would have thought the final sentence of your first paragraph should have negated the need for your second paragraph.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

View attachment 1040430

Don't worry, I was sceptical, too. Until I tasted them.

72822714.jpg

Life-changing.

And of course, it helps the planet by cutting down on one's meat consumption. (*ducks*)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That sounds a lot like a euphemism, but I'll work on the assumption it isn't and take your word for the above.
They used to grow it on dad's place in Fiji. Sometimes there is white sticky latex like s**t all thru the inside of the fruit. Perfect for euphamisms but a PITA for cooking. Its so much easier to buy it canned.

Great idea Sop!

I'm grateful that I have been able to hold onto my job and keep up with my thesis writing, despite the shitstorm that went down at Monash last year.
I'm grateful that China did a hard lockdown from Feb-May and everything has basically been relatively normal since June.
I'm grateful that my family got through 2020 relatively unscathed, not everyone was as lucky.
I'm grateful that you lot on BF managed to turn a NMFC s**t storm into some form of entertainment everyday.
I'm grateful that we did a thorough review of the club and had the cahoonies to do what needed to be done.

Looking forward to being able to get back to Aus to see a game or two live, hopefully this year but nothing certain atm.

So I fractured my arm earlier this week. Since Covid started, I've kept a several weeks' supply of "emergency" non-perishable type food in my larder, to be used in case I ever had to self-isolate because of Covid. I am in tremendous appreciation right now to be using that food because of a broken arm, and not a deadly virus. Especially too, because my cousin tested positive for Covid on the same day I broke my arm - Groundhog Day, incidentally - what's up with that?! My cousin is a health care worker in an aged care home in Northern Alberta. 70 residents and 16 staff have tested positive so far, so I guess it was only a matter of time. She's doing okay so far though, recovering at home. I'm grateful for that, and I'm grateful that I don't have her job.

I'm also grateful that I've managed to keep my own self out of the medical system so far, by x-raying myself at work right after it happened, and emailing the rads to a co-worker's brother who is an MD for a confirmation of our diagnosis (radial head avulsion fracture) He recommended an orthopedic consult, but conceded that it wasn't unreasonable of me to want to stay out of the medical/hospital system in these Covid times. Thank you! YES. Sooooo not going there if I don't have to. The risk right now is just too great. So I've opted to just stay home and hold my arm as immobile as possible and let it heal.

It feels like I've sustained my first "sports injury". And by that, I mean that most of the best and most helpful info I've found on this type of fracture has been on sports medicine websites.

So I've given myself two weeks, of course. :thumbsu: Wish me luck, and keep safe everyone. :greenheart:

I appreciate my community. There are some awesome people here.

I also appreciate being alive. Unlike a mate who drowned in a kayaking accident in the Nymboida river last week. Things can go quickly so make the most of it and appreciate the moments you have.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back