pickettline

Team Captain
Feb 3, 2002
Traralgon Vic Australia
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
new york yankees
With the seemingly unlimited amounts of money being touted by some clubs( mine included) and players being offered long term contracts, the three strikes policy of the AFL concerns me as a member who has followed footy for well over 50 years. Given that the AFL will notify the clubs only after strike 2, what would happen if a club offered a player a huge contract without knowing that the player was already one strike away from being finished? Please note, I am not talking about any one in particular and certainly not Martin or Kelly who had been offered deals at North. I would hate to see any club, particularly one in the re-building phase splash the cash and get sold a lemon. Clubs have to do due diligence with any purchase but are not given all of the relevant information required.

MODS please delete if this has already been raised.

With the seemingly unlimited amounts of money being touted by some clubs( mine included) and players being offered long term contracts, the three strikes policy of the AFL concerns me as a member who has followed footy for well over 50 years. Given that the AFL will notify the clubs only after strike 2, what would happen if a club offered a player a huge contract without knowing that the player was already one strike away from being finished? Please note, I am not talking about any one in particular and certainly not Martin or Kelly who had been offered deals at North. I would hate to see any club, particularly one in the re-building phase splash the cash and get sold a lemon. Clubs have to do due diligence with any purchase but are not given all of the relevant information required.

This complaint resurfaces every year, but it misconstrues how the three-strikes policy was established.

The players agreed to be drug tested on the condition of confidentiality. That is the basis for the agreement. It frames drug use as a health issue, and clubs are not immediately notified. Without the confidentiality, and the players' agreement, there would be no testing regime.

If a player breaks the rules and is banned from the game, the club wouldn't have to pay them.

Problem solved.

I wonder who the op is worried about.

Sent from my F3115 using Tapatalk
Like I said, I am not referring to any player, I'm so far removed from the in crowd who hear and get rumours that it is laughable. The piece I submitted was a general question only, if anyone believes I was referring to a particular player they are mistaken.

Never had this thought before but I wonder if the chUMPS are drug tested and things like that - not on the baisis of their decisions made and poor umpiring but what if say one of them had trouble perorming infront of a massive crowd or some sort of sensitivity to lights? Imagine winning a brownlow only to find out an umpire was on illicit or performance enhancing drugs while officiating games and then adjudicating votes

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you're on you're third strike, claim mental health issues and fly to the States.

The policy is a joke.

I'm fine with it being a health issue and support being available, but the self reporting angle is stupid. There is no point having a policy against something if the player doesn't have any personal responsibility for getting in or getting out. Or for ignoring the rules altogether.

Surely contracts would have clauses in them in case a third strike does happen..

I'm not sure about that. For example, with the buddy contract didn't the AFL state that he would be in the Swans salary cap no matter what?

I'm not saying anything about buddy and drugs, but more so the contract.

Soon as a mod sees that beautiful hashtag at the end, they'll probably ban you. Just a heads up :D

Haha, my bad. Was drunk and probably poor form.

On Nexus 6P using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think the AFL (and the clubs for that matter) have absolutely no intention of handing out a 3rd strike. If it went down as in the OP, I'd say they invent some clause that it was 3 at one club.

Clubs would have their suspicions about certain players too, and for that reason may add a clause into certain players contracts.

When it comes to the three strikes rule, the AFL count as follows: one, two, two and a half, two and two thirds, two and three quarters, ....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back