Autopsy Three things you learned from round 1

Remove this Banner Ad

1. That absent rhyce shaw we have very little run from defence.

2. That absent jpk we have no one who can consistently win the ball from a stoppage.

3. That absent Tippett we rely on some real part time rucks and pyke can't run a full game out

1.That we're the same ol' Swans - No, not the 2012 premiership team, the one trick, nervous, quick to give up 2013 swans.

2. We're gonna miss some of the casualties Of the Buddy deal

3. Laids might turn out to be a nice pick up, and good on him.

1. Didn't learn anything. We're the same flat-track bullies as last season. Any team that comes in fired up against us will win. We start fumbling, can't extract, when we do the balls bombed forward with no target. I'm writing off the Hawk and Freo games already. Collingwood will be fierce in rnd2, if we don't match their intensity it's another loss.

1. On paper we looked a very formidable team. Just add water & we went soft & mushy.
2. Time to get rid of the big beards boys. Trim them down at least. Look serious.
3a. The whole ROK & K.Jack thing. Did K. Jack break rules when he spoke out against losing the CoLA?
3b. GWS will trouble any team that doesn't go into a game against them giving them the respect they deserve.
3c. Give Buddy a chance to click. The signs were there. He dropped a few marks, missed a few shots but is having a crack

1. Didn't learn anything. We're the same flat-track bullies as last season. Any team that comes in fired up against us will win. We start fumbling, can't extract, when we do the balls bombed forward with no target. I'm writing off the Hawk and Freo games already. Collingwood will be fierce in rnd2, if we don't match their intensity it's another loss.

Fumbles are contagious, especially on a wet day. As soon as we started fumbling I knew we were in big trouble because it meant we had lost our composure. Struggled to even clear the ball outside defensive 50 in the last quarter. Never write off any game though (yesterday should have taught you that!), Round 2 is a brand new day.

1. Midfield got hammered. Aside from Parker/Mitchell/JPK, the other midfielders should be on the chopping block, horrid display.
2. Buddy was decent despite the weather. His pressure was great, 3/4 run down tackles. Shame the delivery wasn't good.
3. We MUST play 2 genuine ruckman. I'm sorry LRT, I love him but I just don't see a spot for him this year.

4. Never sitting in front of kids again. Kid behind us unloaded all his breakfast and lunch everywhere. Had to move down to ground level for the 3rd quarter while they cleaned it up.

All in all, horrible day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1.jetta looked reluctant to take the game on. His skills were good as always, but we need his run and carry back

2. We are the worst inside 50 delivery side in the league . All we do is hack and hope

3. Seriously lack of skills in the backline hurts us. Grundy, rampe, and Laidler is heart in the mouth stuff when ever they have the ball

1. Few guys in this team believe their own publicity.

2. No plan besides bombing it long.

3. I was uneasy about the $10 mill over 9 years, I am much more than uneasy now. It really has the potential to be a massive turning point for the club and not in a good way.

1. Better delivery to the forward
2. Defence played okay individually but poorly as a unit
3. C**** f***** up my multi

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
1. We bombed to Franklin as if he was Tippett. They are very different players with extremely different strengths and weaknesses.

2. We didn't know how to handle a team out-tackling us when we didn't expect it.

3. GWS have developed the fitness to run out games. While they won't play to that standard all year, they've addressed their primary weakness. Looks like they're about where GC was last year.

The bombing into the forward line is horrible, but if your going to do it can you at least once try and kick it to the advantage side of your team mate and/or try and bypass the lose man.
It can't be that hard to have a quick look and see which side of the contest the forward is standing on and where the lose man is positioned.

1. Buddy is the new Big Bad Bustling Barry. Defenders get a free pass to scrag and hold and they'll end up getting the free kick.
2. The goal of having Shaw and Mal play on the wings is well and truly out the window. No system exiting the defensive 50 made it a long long night for us.
3. ROK as the sub was about as smart as having Seaby. As soon as I saw that I knew that Horse was having a bit of a laugh this game.

1. Great to see Shaw fit and firing again, but I'd like to see him in that defensive role again i.e. 2012 GF. His ability to intercept in a dangerous defensive situation and then drive the ball out of defence effectively is a huge key to keeping an even balance within our defence, and it is a strong characteristic of our side when he is playing. When he is unavailable, that team characteristic is much rarer (McVeigh, Malceski & Smith also do this but when Shaw plays we are structured far better to implement it).

2. Amongst the disappointment of McVeigh, Hannebery and Kennedy performing well below par, it may have been easy to miss but Parker and Mitchell reminded us that they are genuine AFL midfielders, love em both.

3. Laidler's a gun, 100% effort for four quarters (couldn't say that about many players on Saturday)

4. You can't just cruise around with no accountability and expect to win games of football. The league is tighter than it has ever been, there are arguably 17 teams that are capable of playing finals footy this year, the lads obviously needed to learn that lesson, better for it to happen in round one than later in the year.

5. People are overreacting. We will bounce back.

Last edited:
1. Its Round one.
2. Its Round one.
3. Its Round one.

but seriously....

1. Rhyce Shaw can hold his head high and i hope after the game he sprayed his team mates efforts.
2. You learn alot more from a loss then a win and this is a great wake up for our so called superhero's, At the end of the day its great to have a wake up call like this in round 1 then round 22 and shatter our confidence before finals.
3. GWS are no pushovers they might only win 1 more game for the rest of the year but they will not be losing by very much each game. The next 5 years its a real possibility we will see a Gold Coast vs GWS grand final.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back