Analysis Throw Back Thursday Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Agreed. Mitch was a good bloke. First met him back in 2013, was a bit shy but genuine. His biggest enemy was his own confidence and it evaporated under Leppa.

Nick Hayes is an interesting one. I'd draft him back actually. Carving up.

I reckon Golby was another that would have kept improving under Fagan, he was starting to play really well under Vossy before Leppa came in.

Kill me in remember Golby and used to think he was a good player. Really sad we delisted him because he was young and got a good lot of games as well. Golby > Anyone.

Kill me in remember Golby and used to think he was a good player. Really sad we delisted him because he was young and got a good lot of games as well. Golby > Anyone.

Now playing for Port Melbourne. Interesting for any VFL watchers to tell us how he has been going?

The Polk-barrel game is my favourite of the post-premiership era. Was already a good game, but that last quarter was surreal. And did I imagine it, or did Josh Green's critical cameo end up on the cutting room floor?

Edit: Also, how bad is the paddlepop?

Yes.

Bad....really bad:thumbsdown:

Seems appropriate that this should be in this thread.

Beau was a gem in the early 2000's, a lot like Josh Drummond in that getting Beau on the park was a struggle. Only 91 games over 11 years at the club, but importantly 2 premiership medallions to his name.

Talking of the old days...

I went to see the USA vs. PNG International Cup game and I was surprised to see Darryl White helping out! Had a quick chat to him; he knows some of the boys through the local comp up north and they asked him to help out and DJ, of course, said yes. Was always one of my favourites and is still a top bloke!

Had to explain to my 6 year old that, even barely trying, Darryl could sit on a guy's head to take a speccie!

Holy s**t, that's some simultaneously wonderful nostalgia but also pretty sobering. Harwood, Berwick, Lester, Rich and Rocky the only players still on the list from that win. Considering it's been 5 years and two of those are still fringe they should probably consider themselves lucky to have had such a long career.

Here's to better days and smashing the Dees this Sunday.

Holy s**t, that's some simultaneously wonderful nostalgia but also pretty sobering. Harwood, Berwick, Lester, Rich and Rocky the only players still on the list from that win. Considering it's been 5 years and two of those are still fringe they should probably consider themselves lucky to have had such a long career.

Here's to better days and smashing the Dees this Sunday.

I thought Berwick was delisted?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Lions Insider must have been reading the over 50's thread created by 3KZ is Football where this game has been discussed all week. The game style of that second half by the Roys would not have been out of place in today's modern football such was the speed and efficiency the Roys were moving the ball around. My favourite, Mickey Conlan was on fire in this game, but then again, most of the side was on fire.

Whilst it has been a while since we last rolled Port (2016), we've had some epic battles with them over the years since both clubs were formed (Lions merger and Port entering the comp in 1997) and if I'm not mistaken, I think our first two games were draws in 97/98, although my favourite was that remarkable comeback win at Footy Park when we were 9 odd goals down (can't remember what year that was).

Must admit, not sure why when that video was edited that three consecutive points made the cut of a two and a half minute clip.:huh:

Whilst it has been a while since we last rolled Port (2016), we've had some epic battles with them over the years since both clubs were formed (Lions merger and Port entering the comp in 1997) and if I'm not mistaken, I think our first two games were draws in 97/98, although my favourite was that remarkable comeback win at Footy Park when we were 9 odd goals down (can't remember what year that was).

Must admit, not sure why when that video was edited that three consecutive points made the cut of a two and a half minute clip.:huh:

Their Youtube title calls it the 2002 Prelim
tbtpf.JPG

But it is of course, the 2001 Qualifier
tbtqf.JPG

Still can't forget the very first Q Clash and what a debacle the umpiring was that night to the extent that it appeared there was a clear directive by the AFL to ensure the Suns got that win.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back