Toast Thurlow should never go back to the VFL again!

Remove this Banner Ad

No they wouldn't.
Think we can win a flag in 5 years?

The saints traded anyone.
Lots of sub 20 selections piled up.

Are they any good? Time will tell.
IF they come through, will they come as a group? You bet your butt.

You don't trade your soul. i.e. Selwood. (it was an example) But if you can't win soon, go hard.

Like Melbourne, that's how you butcher a teams culture. Why would anyone be willing to stick around in that kind of climate.

Also those kinds of trades are bloody hard to orchestrate on your terms. Trade week isn't a video game with helpful AI participants.
Correct! See above.

Think we can win a flag in 5 years?

The saints traded anyone.
Lots of sub 20 selections piled up.

Are they any good? Time will tell.
IF they come through, will they come as a group? You bet your butt.

You don't trade your soul. i.e. Selwood. (it was an example) But if you can't win soon, go hard.
And we're not as likely to do that given our list has very experienced players who lack currency and young players who we need in the future or aren't good enough and as such also have no currency.

We'll go hard alright. We'll go hard at players via trade and free agency.

You mentioned Selwood, Hawkins and Taylor…..then you say you don't trade your soul…….???

Still…hypotheticals are fun….what about this…..

You want trades????…just bring in Neeld or Ayres for Scott……they'll be lining up to leave.

You mentioned Selwood, Hawkins and Taylor…..then you say you don't trade your soul…….???

Still…hypotheticals are fun….what about this…..

You want trades????…just bring in Neeld or Ayres for Scott……they'll be lining up to leave.
I said it to Jubsy. If Ayres ever gets south of Werribee I'll shoot him. Keep that club destroying worm away from here. Him and Ron Hovey nearly killed this club.

Yep, better off developing solid talent in a strong culture than bringing in a bunch of star 18 year olds that don't come on because there's no one to teach them.

t

Yes….dump the old players and just recruit those star 18 year olds...

Those star 18 year olds are always winners…..I mean…..look at Gold coast

..oh…..wait….

I wouldn't do it. Smarter people would.
Those without emotion.
No they wouldn't. Never have franchise players of the calibre of those players been traded by choice. The whole point of list management is to try to acquire players of the calibre of Hawkins, Selwood and Taylor around which a Premiership team can be built.

Sorry Turbo. Thurlow's a gun, BTW. :D

I can actually understand VC's initial point comparing him to Colbert.

If people could just look to his on field ability and not just start frothing at the mouth when his name was mentioned that would probably help.

Colby was an extremely smart, versatile, brave and skillful player... Thurlow looks all of those things as well with more polish by foot IMO

Bring back memories of little blue cap with dark curly hair on stick there tc.
This boy, 4Q??

47569i284881CD8A18CE20

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I could not understand the lack of talk about Thurlow around preseason where people were discussing the future of our team. He seemed to have been forgotten. Great to see him straight back in to the side and looking to be well on the way to securing his spot in the 22.

I could not understand the lack of talk about Thurlow around preseason where people were discussing the future of our team. He seemed to have been forgotten. Great to see him straight back in to the side and looking to be well on the way to securing his spot in the 22.
I'm sure the lack of talk was related from the fact that from mid-December onwards Thurlow was out of action with his lacerated kidney, and no-one knew how long it would be before he got back, or what the effect of the interrupted preseason would be.

Certainly there was plenty of talk about Thurlow before that (witness the start of this thread for some of it). And it's been impressive to see how seamlessly he has fitted back into the team since he got back to training. I'm definitely in the camp that says we've got a keeper with Jackson, with his unflappable composure, beautiful disposal and flair when attacking, one of the stalwarts of our defence from now on.

I'm sure the lack of talk was related from the fact that from mid-December onwards Thurlow was out of action with his lacerated kidney, and no-one knew how long it would be before he got back, or what the effect of the interrupted preseason would be.

It was probably also affected by his less than brilliant performances last season at senior level, when after his debut season we probably expected more.

The main thing is he's back in now, and looking very comfortable. Has to be a positive sign for both now and the future.

It was probably also affected by his less than brilliant performances last season at senior level, when after his debut season we probably expected more.

The main thing is he's back in now, and looking very comfortable. Has to be a positive sign for both now and the future.

He needed to go back to the VFL at get his game plan and confidence back up.

He worked very hard - and did it. The injury was a speed hump for sure but as you say, he is back and looking very, very comfortable.

Go Catters

Thurlow has cemented his spot in the Best 22 already.
Signing him on a 1-year contract was a good idea last year, let him get his body super fit (which he did to a point, now is close to being back at full fitness), give him lots of chances in the side (after 1 game in VFL he was back & got 20 touches against Suns) then if he performs consistently this year (so far so good) give him a longer contract. Seems to enjoy Geelong & the people here too (has girlfriend here, loves golf here & surfing here).
Now up to Geelong to please sign him up as soon as possible on a 3-5 year contract thanks!

It was obviously because he missed 3 months with a kidney injury and everyone assumed he would be a very late starter.

To be fair, he was the sub in quite a few games last year.
Agree, my factual take was he was given limited opportunities in 2014 for whatever the reason only MC will know. Carlton sub = goal, good had an impact, Hawthorn sub = goal ,had an impact, Brisbane full game given opportunity 20 poss and goal = significant impact. Hawks QF sub wasn't put on till well into last qtr when game over= no impact. NM final started and subbed out = no impact.
Aside from NM game he performed well in the small taste we saw IMO.

Some interesting stats from footywire- Thurlow is ranked against other eligible Rising Stars:
Ranked 1st in effective disposals per game- doesn't surprise
Ranked 1st in rebound 50s per game... nice!

He has played 4 of a possible 6 games, but we have won 3 of those 4 games. It will be interesting to see how well he goes over the course of the season and against some of the teams with a stronger group of forwards.

Screen Shot 2015-05-13 at 11.59.20 am.png

some good info here, I'm trawling more from a SC point-of-view, sounds like he's cemented his spot, considering trading him in, any of you supercoaches done that? defence is a wasteland this year.

very handy player.

Looks a total natural at HBF - finds it , has great poise , makes great decisions and uses it so well - especially by foot.
Gaining more confidence every week - keep him on the HBF and don't be tempted to fill a gap elsewhere , if it ain't broke don't fix it.
He will be very special if he stays fit and injury free , will be very hard to beat 1 on 1 after another preseason or two.

some good info here, I'm trawling more from a SC point-of-view, sounds like he's cemented his spot, considering trading him in, any of you supercoaches done that? defence is a wasteland this year.

very handy player.

I might wait and see what effect the return of Mackie and Kelly has on his fantasy scoring first.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back