Toast Thurlow should never go back to the VFL again!

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't remember a young player coming into our side being a better user of the ball by foot. And it's not just out in the open stuff. It's with a moment to sum up a situation and an opponent about to tackle him to the ground. He is exceptional.

I am a massive Boris fan. Massive. Will go hard at anyone who says his 300th is not important - and have done. Will not be the same when he's gone.

When I saw Thurlow in his debut against Essendon a few years ago my interest was peaked. Thought we had something to work with - down the track.

He went back the magoos and did some learning.

These last 2 weeks, my sadness at Boris' eventual retirement has been dulled by Thurlow's effort. His kicking is SO good - better than Boris' at this stage of their respective careers. His penetration and accuracy is sublime. His attacking style of CHB is there. Much like his mentor.

Knowing he is coming into the CHB spot makes the loss no less - but it does deaden the blow.

Not saying Thurlow will be Boris #2 - not putting that pressure on him - but as one to come into the shoes, he's one hellofa candidate….

Great effort Jackson

GO Catters

then Rivers probably goes out as Bews and Thurlow have given us exactly what we have been missing for a long time.

You're s**t stirring again Bobby….Rivers has been superb and there is no way in the world he goes out of the side. One of the first picked IMO.

The last 2 weeks he has been an absolute rock, and was BOG against Richmond IMO (14 marks) and was in our best half dozen against the Pies.

Solid as a rock is Rivers. Has been a great pick up for the Cats .

then Rivers probably goes out as Bews and Thurlow have given us exactly what we have been missing for a long time.
The other is Guthrie who has begun drifting back across half back flank in recent weeks. It was the position in which he made a name for himself, and having all three explosive defenders, along with Taylor, Lonergan and Blicavs helping out when need be, just unsure where Mackie squeezes in.
Perhaps on the wing in place of Murdoch?

not wanting to grab a specific bite out of context, but after the last 2 weeks, the only place Rivers is going is the SCG for the next game.

GO Catters

I'd rather see anyone back than Stokes, he's soft at it of late but worse than that he slows the play up so much. Had he been involved last night we would not any seen any of that dynamic play IMO. He's that s**t.*

*OK a little hyperbolic...

Given the injuries sustained by the old brigade of late (Bartel, Mackie, Stokes, etc) and the need for the young guys to get as much experience as possible so that they can more quickly play like they did versus the Pies on Friday night, the time may have come for Stokes and Mackie to make their way back via the VFL to make sure they are completely right.

But yes, Thurlow is looking great.

not wanting to grab a specific bite out of context, but after the last 2 weeks, the only place Rivers is going is the SCG for the next game.

GO Catters
I hope he goes to ANZ Stadium this week instead! Even if he spectates at the Swans v Carlton SCG game in Round 9 (if he must). ;)

Given the injuries sustained by the old brigade of late (Bartel, Mackie, Stokes, etc) and the need for the young guys to get as much experience as possible so that they can more quickly play like they did versus the Pies on Friday night, the time may have come for Stokes and Mackie to make their way back via the VFL to make sure they are completely right.

But yes, Thurlow is looking great.

With Mackie's footy savvy, marking ability and general talent I'd love to see him line up as the med/tall forward we seem to lack with Kersten doing nothing as usual.
Mackie as a forward or defender could be interchanged with Jackson Thurlow giving us multiple options unlike Kersten who can't go anywhere else.
Mackie will at least gain 10 plus possessions as a forward unlike the other guy's poultry efforts, I do think we can strengthen our lineup this way.

to be fair Meto, Kersten did get 7 possession against the pies, and 10 is not a whole lot more than that. Whilst apparently those who've gone back over the tapes have noted the Kersten was often presenting very well on an open lead and wasn't used but made lots of space behind him for others to work in.

Kersten does harry and chase quite well. his biggest problem as someone put it is that he turns like the QE2

With Mackie's footy savvy, marking ability and general talent I'd love to see him line up as the med/tall forward we seem to lack with Kersten doing nothing as usual.
Mackie as a forward or defender could be interchanged with Jackson Thurlow giving us multiple options unlike Kersten who can't go anywhere else.
Mackie will at least gain 10 plus possessions as a forward unlike the other guy's poultry efforts, I do think we can strengthen our lineup this way.

Mackie was (partly) moved to the back line because as a forward he did not get 10 a game.

to be fair Meto, Kersten did get 7 possession against the pies, and 10 is not a whole lot more than that. Whilst apparently those who've gone back over the tapes have noted the Kersten was often presenting very well on an open lead and wasn't used but made lots of space behind him for others to work in.

Kersten does harry and chase quite well. his biggest problem as someone put it is that he turns like the QE2

I think it was the grand total of 5 the week before,... so let's say 6 a game, Mack's been a 20+ player for along time and can switch to defence.
Just makes sense because Kersten's a mere luxury.

20 in defence is not the same as 20 in attach meto. I encourage you to watch Kersten's game. He pulled off some really nice moves and was presenting exactly as we would want all day. Its not his fault if he isn't used. As his team mates grow to trust him more I confident he will begin to impress.

20 in defence is not the same as 20 in attach meto. I encourage you to watch Kersten's game. He pulled off some really nice moves and was presenting exactly as we would want all day. Its not his fault if he isn't used. As his team mates grow to trust him more I confident he will begin to impress.

Kersten did some good stuff during the game but may be a bit one dimensional for today's game. Time will tell.
To the OP ....Thurlow is a lock in as far as I am concerned. His kicking is a definite asset to the team.Good game sense as well.
Stokes is an interesting situation, Gregson continues current form and he could find it difficult to force his way back.

Last edited:
Thurlow should never go back to the VFL again!

Nonsense. All players should be selected on form.
If in the future Thurlow's form does not justify AFL selection, then he should be sent to the VFL to regain form as should anyone else on the list.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many more games of 5-7 possessions with minimal impact do you tolerate, he's not earning his spot that must be obvious so how long's your piece of string?

Shows how highly his foot skills are rated by the fact he takes our kick in at such a young age. I noticed one stage in the 3rd Friday Caddy ran thru a point, Jacko called for the ball to take the kick.. Caddy ignored him and took the and lobbed a slight hospital ball to Guthrie.. I hope it was made an example of that if Thurlow is there he takes all the kicks. He is such a beautiful flat kick of the footy, perfect for kick ins as they get where they are meant to go with speed.

I had no idea he was still eligible for the rising star... Gregson was fantastic Friday but Thurlow would be stiff to miss after his last 2 games.. whichever one misses it's only a matter of time before they get a nod as well.

You're s**t stirring again Bobby….Rivers has been superb and there is no way in the world he goes out of the side. One of the first picked IMO.

he's been terrific for a period of two weeks but he isn't as important as what Lonergan or Taylor are to the side. Take out Lonergan, we get a forward slot 5 goals against us. Take away Taylor, and we are a shell of our selves. Take out Rivers, we can manage fine without him.

Kersten's turning circle might be due to him not trusting his dicky knee, 4quarter. And don't forget he has one leg shorter than the other, so he might turn better in one direction than the other.

Last edited:
How many more games of 5-7 possessions with minimal impact do you tolerate, he's not earning his spot that must be obvious so how long's your piece of string?

I'd give him 2 more weeks. He wasn't bad last week, just didn't take his chances with some uncharacteristic misses. If we can persevere with Cockatoo we can persevere with Kersten.

I am a massive Boris fan. Massive. Will go hard at anyone who says his 300th is not important - and have done. Will not be the same when he's gone.

When I saw Thurlow in his debut against Essendon a few years ago my interest was peaked. Thought we had something to work with - down the track.

He went back the magoos and did some learning.

These last 2 weeks, my sadness at Boris' eventual retirement has been dulled by Thurlow's effort. His kicking is SO good - better than Boris' at this stage of their respective careers. His penetration and accuracy is sublime. His attacking style of CHB is there. Much like his mentor.

Knowing he is coming into the CHB spot makes the loss no less - but it does deaden the blow.

Not saying Thurlow will be Boris #2 - not putting that pressure on him - but as one to come into the shoes, he's one hellofa candidate….

Great effort Jackson

GO Catters
The hairs are up on the back of my neck, Daz! Stirring stuff. Dead right, I'm a biased Tassie boy and I love him.

Thurlow should never go back to the VFL again!

Nonsense. All players should be selected on form.

If in the future Thurlow's form does not justify AFL selection, then he should be sent to the VFL to regain form as should anyone else on the list.

Of course you are right... but I guess they way I see the intent of the OP is .... Thurlow is not served by spending much more time in the VFL... for his progress and development he now needs AFL games

Shows how highly his foot skills are rated by the fact he takes our kick in at such a young age. I noticed one stage in the 3rd Friday Caddy ran thru a point, Jacko called for the ball to take the kick.. Caddy ignored him and took the and lobbed a slight hospital ball to Guthrie.. I hope it was made an example of that if Thurlow is there he takes all the kicks. He is such a beautiful flat kick of the footy, perfect for kick ins as they get where they are meant to go with speed.

I had no idea he was still eligible for the rising star... Gregson was fantastic Friday but Thurlow would be stiff to miss after his last 2 games.. whichever one misses it's only a matter of time before they get a nod as well.
And it's no coincidence that our kick-in effectiveness has improved since Thurlow has started taking them. I think we had Smedts, Duncan and Enright doing it in the first couple of weeks and we really struggled to clear the ball from D50. Since then it seems to have improved dramatically (of course, against weaker opposition too).

I can't remember a young player coming into our side being a better user of the ball by foot. And it's not just out in the open stuff. It's with a moment to sum up a situation and an opponent about to tackle him to the ground. He is exceptional.

Selwood was an exceptional player in his first year but the only knock on him was that he missed some easy shots at goal from set shots. To his credit he has eradicated that from his game.
Now Gregson missed one that he should have got on Friday, but he does look by foot. That long goal was a beauty.

With the damage that can be done these days by turnovers you just cannot afford to have players who are poor users of the ball. They will kill you.

Of course you are right... but I guess they way I see the intent of the OP is .... Thurlow is not served by spending much more time in the VFL... for his progress and development he now needs AFL games

If that is the intention I would agree but with my qualifier.
I do get disappointed when young players get dumped after one or two poor showings while experienced players get a pass. Cue Walker.

I would like to see Kolodjashnij and Gore get a few games on the trot, but at 3/3 I don't think that it will happen any time soon without a few injuries.

If that is the intention I would agree but with my qualifier.
I do get disappointed when young players get dumped after one or two poor showings while experienced players get a pass. Cue Walker.

I would like to see Kolodjashnij and Gore get a few games on the trot, but at 3/3 I don't think that it will happen any time soon without a few injuries.

Each player is different. I think my opinion was stated earlier in the year when I said that Bews and Thurlow had little to gain by more time in the VFL.
Now one might state that Walker is the same..probably is but one needs an opening as well in the AFL. I think I have been fairly forth right on where I stand on Walker.
Kolo and Gore... ideally a game or more would be great but I also think you must be ready , or demand a game etc. Considering both are in the 1st and 2nd year there is time for both to demand selection.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back