Thursday Night Footy in 2019 - 12 games on the agenda

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the ratings have shown definitively that Thursday night footy is indisputable success and that ratings have been exceptional. You are never going to make everyone happy but for the AFL & Broadcasters; another prime time slot to market the product and sell to sponsors is a win. For me - I just like watching footy so if I have another opportunity to sit down, relax and watch Carlton lose another prime time game then hell! Bring it on! :p

Meanwhile we get to see Carlton getting belted on a Thursday or Friday night like 10 times a year.

The AFL really needs to take a page out of the NFL fixture where most of their primetime games (Fri night in AFL/Sun night in NFL) have the best teams and matchups. Carlton playing once Fri night is fine but not 4 times.

Obviously taking one saturday arvo game away and putting it on thursday, thursdays are fine as long as the tigers are not playing. From a selfish point of view, thursday night games ruin my pre match and after match drink.

Will be mostly a foxtel game one would think as friday night, sat night and sunday arvo are the three C7 games. Easy to work C7 into the thursday telecast during the bye rounds but just a tad harder in the 9 game rounds.

I was skeptical at first but have really warmed to Thursday night footy. Indeed, I almost prefer that there was a Thursday game every week, double headers on Friday night (even simultaneous in different states, insurance policy against s**t games) and little or no footy on Sunday, so you can do other stuff (not that footy should stop you, but when organising with mates, etc)

I was skeptical at first but have really warmed to Thursday night footy. Indeed, I almost prefer that there was a Thursday game every week, double headers on Friday night (even simultaneous in different states, insurance policy against s**t games) and little or no footy on Sunday, so you can do other stuff (not that footy should stop you, but when organising with mates, etc)
What you have described is the footy rights deal and timeslots in 2028

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ok the problem I have with it

This might seem an odd one ...a lot of grass roots footy clubs have their final training sessions ...Thursday nights...traditionally selection night at grass roots level ...and amateurs

So one hand players will like it ...as they sit down after training and couple of beers and watch the footy ...food ...so it’s good for clubs I suppose as most have a tv on the wall these days ...

So that’s the good

Does this impact families ....the afl wants us to live s**t and breath footy .....and to be honest this isn’t healthy ....it borders in saturation of the market ....we need to get people away from the tv a bit more and talking interacting ...I love the game I do but we shouldn’t saturate it into people’s lives ..

I know this is different slant on it but I think we need to be careful with it ...more footy nights isn’t akways better

Obviously taking one saturday arvo game away and putting it on thursday, thursdays are fine as long as the tigers are not playing. From a selfish point of view, thursday night games ruin my pre match and after match drink.

Will be mostly a foxtel game one would think as friday night, sat night and sunday arvo are the three C7 games. Easy to work C7 into the thursday telecast during the bye rounds but just a tad harder in the 9 game rounds.

I would think it would stay free-to-air due to there being no other alternative on for the Thursday evening. Surely the AFL wouldn't have gotten us used to the Thursday time slot, upped the the amount of them due to the great ratings, then subsequently shut out a large number of those viewers by making it exclusive to pay-tv.

I would think it would stay free-to-air due to there being no other alternative on for the Thursday evening. Surely the AFL wouldn't have gotten us used to the Thursday time slot, upped the the amount of them due to the great ratings, then subsequently shut out a large number of those viewers by making it exclusive to pay-tv.

The reality is the current TV deal provides for 3.5 FTA games a week. If channel 7 get all the Thursday night games then presumably there will be more Satudurday nights and Sunday arvos with no FTA football...unless 7 and foxtel can negotiate a different outcome which presumably involves 7 giving foxtel money

The reality is the current TV deal provides for 3.5 FTA games a week. If channel 7 get all the Thursday night games then presumably there will be more Satudurday nights and Sunday arvos with no FTA football...unless 7 and foxtel can negotiate a different outcome which presumably involves 7 giving foxtel money
Wonder if Ch7 can buy foxtels 2.10 sat game and move it to Thursday?

Great for TV - sucks attending games particularly if you have kids.

Then again, my son and myself were part of a 90,000+ crowd in awful weather so I've only got myself to blame.

C7 only have 3 slots, which slot are they going to take away to accommodate the thursday night, outside of the bye rounds it will be a foxtel slot unless C7 increase their FTA to 4 games like it used to be.

Should set aside a thursday night for each rivalry, put a Derby, Showdown, Q-clash and GWSvSYD match on 4 of the 12 games.

C7 only have 3 slots, which slot are they going to take away to accommodate the thursday night, outside of the bye rounds it will be a foxtel slot unless C7 increase their FTA to 4 games like it used to be.

I'm sure it absolutely will be that. Would be a strange business decision to provide more football in a timeslot demanding it that historically rates well, only to then remove it from the eyes of the free to air population. There will be little bits of information to figure out between channel 7 and Fox but I'm sure it will get done.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back