Thursday night footy

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm definitely for it, and I'm certain we will just about get a full year of it soon.

I acknowledge that as far as live attendance some don't love it (I live not far from Adelaide Oval so no skin off my nose), but plenty of timeslots have issues, whether it be Sunday Twilight with school / work on Monday, Saturday arvo versus local games, etc.

Keeping as many games in their own spots as possible should be the goal.

Only thing is I hope when it eventually becomes a mainstay, that the games are spread out equally among all teams - none of this certain teams getting a disproportionate amount, give me Suns, give me Freo, give me everyone.

Like it.

But I enjoyed it more a few seasons ago when it was only for a block during the colder months.

Really broke up the week well.

Not that it doesn’t now but I’m finding with the more Thursday games on, the more garbage games I end up watching for no good reason other than they’re on TV.

Attending isn’t that great to be honest though. Hard sell to a lot of mates to go on a Thursday.

Mostly prefer the round starting on a Friday night (they should have 4-5 double headers a year for these, east and then west).

Thursday night footy obviously has a place, but I think it should be in moderation. Half a dozen per season (never in split rounds) and spread out would be ideal.

Would be a massive overkill if it was every week, there’s a lot of people it inconveniences and it would get tiring.

How would having 19 teams change things?

19 teams would mean at least 1 is having the bye. This would mean greater flexibility with scheduling and open up things for more Thursday night games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As I mentioned in my original post that was just my view and the view of many people I know.

If the Thursday slot works for others then good luck to them. Just from my experience it doesn’t work well due to work commitments the following day.

It is also impossible to attend Thursday night games as well due to travel. Particularly in Sydney traffic, if it’s a Thursday at the SCG you either need to like within a 15km radius or so to attend or travel 2 hours.

Would be over an hour travel time home after the game for myself which means probably wouldn’t get home till after midnight which makes it impossible.

just hire a helicopter

Love a Thursday night game, but can understand no game this week due to 2 games on Monday.

Should be a permanent fixture outside of weekends such as this and Queens Bday etc.

Hate Thursday night footy and think it’s purely a commercial gimmick for the networks.

It just does not work outside of those few who either live close to the grounds or don’t have work/school the next day.

It doesn’t work for many with young families to either attend or watch on tv.

It doesn’t work if you have to travel 1 hour or more to and from the game.

It doesn’t work for majority who work Friday business hours to attend games.

And it doesn’t even work to watch the full game for many at home where once again it gets too late on a school/work night.

Just my view but just scrap it from the fixture. It’s just a cash grab as part of the network agreement.
If it's in any city that isn't Melbourne or Sydney, then anyone in the suburbs of said city (Adelaide, Brisbane, Gold Coast, Perth) do not live more than 10-15 minutes away from the stadium. As someone who lives in Torquay, and has lived in Melbourne - you can and will make the time if you want to go.

It only doesn't work for outliers, it works for the majority. I'm an outlier living 1.5 hours from Melbourne and I'd still happily watch a Blues game at the G on a Thursday night.

I'd rather sleep in thanks for your concern though

laughs in parent

Love Thursday night footy. Being a regional fan means attending night games is difficult unless it's a Saturday or you take a day off work. Having the AFL to come home to after footy training on a Thursday is an absolute treat. As already mentioned, it makes for more chat on Friday at work about the previous nights game as well.

The fixture should be as such

Thursday 7pm
Friday 7pm

Saturday 2pm
Saturday 5pm
Saturday 8pm

Sunday 12/1pm
Sunday 3/4pm

8th game would be Friday 10pm (proper Friday night game for WA), Saturday at 2pm or Sunday 6pm/7pm (prime time here in the east).

9th game would be a rolling bye (two teams per week), PH game (like Anzac Day) or Saturday 2pm

With that fixture, every game would have clear air except for the occasional double up at 2pm on a Saturday, which is the traditional timeslot and the only time multiple matches should be played (imo).

The WA timezone should be used more than it is. No reason why the eagles/freo can't have proper night matches that start at 7/8pm local time on a Friday night (not sure it would be worthwhile doing on a Saturday night which is a dead night for ratings). A few well-placed Sunday twilight games over there (4pm start which is what clubs do here in VIC regularly) against the big teams would draw good coin for them too (it's the highest rating time on TV - just look at the numbers Bounce and MAFS do).

An example using the Round 7 fixture

Thursday 7pm: Bulldogs v Essendon [7]
Friday 7pm: Swans v Lions [7]

Saturday 2pm: Melbourne v Hawks [Fox]
Saturday 2pm: Adelaide v Giants [Fox]
Saturday 5pm: Geelong v Freo [Fox]
Saturday 8pm: St Kilda v Port [Fox]

Sunday 1pm: Blues v North [Fox]
Sunday 4pm: Pies v Suns [Fox]
Sunday 7pm: Eagles v Richmond [7]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back