deck

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2004
Melburn
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool, SF 49ers, FSU
I don’t think that’s actually the case but whatever floats your boat.

They only need 50% of the General AFL audience to watch anyway to get high ratings. Works for half but not the other.
So your saying that a majority of people have switched off the TV at 9.30pm to go to bed. Yet the media industry continues to use the 7.30pm - 10.30pm slot as where the majority of people have the TV on.

I would guess that the majority of people with kids would struggle to sit down in front of a TV until 8.30pm.

Jul 12, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles, Lakers, Bayern, Trojans
Enjoy wasting hours of your day before work when you can't do anything instead of having those after work?
And you realise once you do it once you adjust, you still do sleep in, just from 4am to 5am instead.
Depends if you're a morning person or an afternoon person I guess. Each to their own

Blue1980

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 9, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
I suspect I'm in the minority but love a Thursday night game. But I've always been very laissez-faire to my Friday working attitude. Nor do I have kids to worry about.

Works better for me and I assume many others who want to go to Thursday night games who are working in the office Tuesday to Thursday and home on fridays.

Tackle Bag

Club Legend
Dec 5, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Richmond have the next two Thursday nights. That’s two home games I can’t make it to with my family. I might not have spent extra to get a better than average membership if I’d known we would be playing Thursday nights.
Thursday’s aren’t for crowds though I guess

Apr 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The AFLPA don't like the short breaks.

Would the majority of fans be happy for 18 minute quarters if that meant Thursday night footy every week.

Always has to be some give and take in these situations.

PrinceCharles

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 18, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
The AFLPA don't like the short breaks.

Would the majority of fans be happy for 18 minute quarters if that meant Thursday night footy every week.

Always has to be some give and take in these situations.
How's it different from now? Blues went from a Sunday game to a Friday game a few weeks ago.

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
One of the best nights I've had at the footy was an early season Sydney/Geelong Thursday night match. The sun was still setting as the game started and there was a real party atmosphere - probably helped by the fact we gave the Cats an absolute bath that night. But I love it being on TV as well - any night where I can avoid having to float in and out of the lounge room while reality TV is on is a win for me. The "Festival of Football" during covid where there was a game every night for a month was the best!!!

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
One of the best nights I've had at the footy was an early season Sydney/Geelong Thursday night match. The sun was still setting as the game started and there was a real party atmosphere - probably helped by the fact we gave the Cats an absolute bath that night. But I love it being on TV as well - any night where I can avoid having to float in and out of the lounge room while reality TV is on is a win for me. The "Festival of Football" during covid where there was a game every night for a month was the best!!!
That festival was amazing. I wasat metricon two dozen times that season

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
How about Thursday night footy, Friday night footy, three Saturday day games, two twilight Saturday games and two Saturday night games.
Super Saturday footy and Sunday is free up for reserves and state league and local footy to not compete for crowds with the AFL.

Mar 3, 2022
AFL Club
Adelaide
Why not have a game every night and make clubs use their squads?

AFLPA can just bitch at clubs instead.

Have a 38 round season where everyone plays each other twice.

Festival of footy was the absolute ****.

More matches means for TV dollars.

Trent the flight Steward

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 30, 2006
Cessnock
AFL Club
Geelong
How about Thursday night footy, Friday night footy, three Saturday day games, two twilight Saturday games and two Saturday night games.
Super Saturday footy and Sunday is free up for reserves and state league and local footy to not compete for crowds with the AFL.
Thursday night footy should only occur during school holidays.

Also not sure if you've ever being to local footy, but it's on Saturday arvo not on a Sunday.

All night games should start at 7pm

Also I'm not sure how we end up with more Thursday night games if Tassie enter, as there's still the same amount of games on the weekend

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Thursday night footy should only occur during school holidays.

Also not sure if you've ever being to local footy, but it's on Saturday arvo not on a Sunday.
I used to play on Saturday when was involved but some local footy could be more on Sunday if AFL footy made it an AFL level free day of footy so lower levels could not lose crowds to the AFL footy.

Also I'm not sure how we end up with more Thursday night games if Tassie enter, as there's still the same amount of games on the weekend
Ok, so you not sure.
Correct, there will still be 9 AFL matches on weekend but there will be 19 teams once Tassie team in it so someone will always be on a bye.
That club on a bye is opportunity to always play on next Thursday and then you only need one more team to find that had at least five day break to fixture for that Thursday match. At present you always have two teams that played on weekend before so harder to fixture.
Much easier with 19th team, hence more Thursday night footy for those that want it.

Back