AFL Club
Richmond
Tiger supporters confirmed bandwagoners
1654823193153.png

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
I reckon fewer working in the CBD is a big issue with thursday nights. its much easier to get to a game (with work the next day) when you can walk there from the office rather than having to actually head into the city. its a bit different to Friday, which can become a full night out in its own right due to no work the next day.

Pus the obvious difficulty with kids getting to bed after 12 and having to go to school.

I think we have to accept that outside of absolute marquee games (like the season opener), thursday is for tv and will rarely have bumper crowds, until the cbd gets back to the same working numbers as pre covid.

offtherails9

Norm Smith Medallist
May 30, 2012
-
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I don’t think Melbourne has ever really been a good location for TNF since it was brought in, apart from a few early season games.

The middle of the year ones that I remember from say 14/15/16 etc were more your Melbourne based club/upper ladder team against an interstate team.

The best places for Thurs Nights back then was Sydney and Adelaide. Add in a few in Brisbane while they’re going well and that’s the way to go I think. If you’re going to do TNF in Melbourne do it at Marvel ffs.

Edit - Jesus they’ve got the next 3 at the G. This won’t go well and public sentiment will change. Dees v Lions will see 15k. Hopefully the Blues fans are up and about enough to go next week. Geelong isn’t a bad place for it either hopefully in a few more weeks.

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
I don’t think Melbourne has ever really been a good location for TNF since it was brought in, apart from a few early season games.

The middle of the year ones that I remember from say 14/15/16 etc were more your Melbourne based club/upper ladder team against an interstate team.

The best places for Thurs Nights back then was Sydney and Adelaide. Add in a few in Brisbane while they’re going well and that’s the way to go I think. If you’re going to do TNF in Melbourne do it at Marvel ffs.

Edit - Jesus they’ve got the next 3 at the G. This won’t go well and public sentiment will change. Dees v Lions will see 15k. Hopefully the Blues fans are up and about enough to go next week. Geelong isn’t a bad place for it either hopefully in a few more weeks.
One big thing is that its a hell of a lot easier and quicker to get from the burbs to the stadium in places like perth, adelaide and brisbane, than it is in melbourne. even inner suburbs that could easily be 1hr+ by either car or pt, which is a big turn off in s**t weather and a 7am wakeup the next day.

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
One big thing is that its a hell of a lot easier and quicker to get from the burbs to the stadium in places like perth, adelaide and brisbane, than it is in melbourne. even inner suburbs that could easily be 1hr+ by either car or pt, which is a big turn off in s**t weather and a 7am wakeup the next day.
Not Perth as it would be 510pm local time start

nick1408

Club Legend
Dec 12, 2010
Why?
AFL Club
Richmond
I wonder if any teams request the Thursday night slot (barring public holidays and the Richmond-Carlton round 1 game) or if it is thrust upon them?

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
Used to love friday and thursday night footy as a neutral.
Go to game, meet up with "the boys", cheeky bumps here and there maybe, mad fun.

As if anyone would do that now?
Ticketing is campaignery, expensive, drink lines massive, and the product is garbage.

Umpires. Can't ******* get anything right and the rules are all over the shop too.
It's shitty to watch.

Moyaswell just meet up with the boys and maybe go to a pub to watch it or just play video games instead because it's better and more fun.
When AFL is less s**t maybe crowds will come back if it's not too late.

zacz

Rookie
Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Not necessarily true in Perth. Unless you live close to the city Perth suburbs are very spread out north to south. Its over 100km from the southern suburbs south of Rockingham to the Northern suburbs north of Joondalup.

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
Not necessarily true in Perth. Unless you live close to the city Perth suburbs are very spread out north to south. Its over 100km from the southern suburbs south of Rockingham to the Northern suburbs north of Joondalup.
how long does it take to get in, cause i can tell you it can take over 1hr from just 10km from the city in melbourne. and how many people from joondalup would be going? Geelong to melbourne is only 75km, its not really a good example to be using people from an entirely other city.

also, google says joondalup to perth is 30km

zacz

Rookie
Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
how long does it take to get in, cause i can tell you it can take over 1hr from just 10km from the city in melbourne. and how many people from joondalup would be going? Geelong to melbourne is only 75km, its not really a good example to be using people from an entirely other city.

also, google says joondalup to perth is 30km
Honestly it can be similar at peak times which is when the game would be held in the west. There is only one major freeway heading north south and it gets backed up.

Last edited:

Mr north man

Premiership Player
Mar 12, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not Perth as it would be 510pm local time start
Play Thursday Night games in SA unless you have a public Holiday the next day in Victoria.
I love in the next football tv rights to have double headers Friday night games a 7:30pm game on either Channel 7 or 10 from Victoria or interstate then a 8pm game from Victoria @ Marvel or interstate on Foxtel or streaming service.
Then Saturday have 4 to 5 games on a Saturday with a 2pm,3pm,5pm7pm and 8pm
Then Sunday’s have a 1:40pm,2:30pm and 4:40pm-WA game or QLD game depending if you have 18 or 20 teams.
Then with the Bye round have the 1st bye in round 10 then the 2nd bye in Round 20 no more split rounds.
Stick with 22 games and finals over a 29 week season.
Always play the Grand Final replay the week before the season starts as a stand alone games and always play the Grand Final on a Saturday afternoon at 2:30pm.

And that's why I partially think the AFL will show Thursday night games each week.

Also, the AFL tv deal will end by 2024. From 2025 onwards, you can see Thursday night games each week.

Might be why additional teams look attractive. You can keep the current setup + Thur night games each week.

Mar 24, 2017
Blackburn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Might be why additional teams look attractive. You can keep the current setup + Thur night games each week.
The current fixture with overlapping games is too crowded. Broadcasters want stand alone games. Their spread our fixture with no clashes is why the NRL matches aFL in the ratings. So 19 teams is better than 20. 11 extra games spread over the bye rounds so no new slots.

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
What I'm reading in this thread is people with kids expect the world to revolve around them because they are so special and so awesome for society.
I couldn’t care less when the games are scheduled but I’m a little bored of people whinging about crowd numbers in every thread when it’s quite clear the AFL care more about the broadcast revenue than how many people walk through the gate.

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
Posted elsewhere but

over rounds 16-17 its school holidays in Vic, Qld and NT.
over rounds 17-18 its school holidays in NSW, WA and ACT
Over rounds 18-19 its school holidays in SA and Tas

So round 16 Thursday night could have been Vic (carlton v saints at marvel) - big game in context of the top 8, big tv audience and more chance of higher crowds
and round 17 Thursday night could have been NSW (sydney v bulldogs at scg) - big game, get sydney tv market
and round 18 Thursday night could have been WA (Freo v sydney at optus) - big game, again get syd market and WA
and round 19 Thursday night could have been SA (port v geelong at adelaide oval) - big game, get SA market

its not hard travis auld you muppet. he screwed over the suns in his time here, he is lauded as a replacement for gil but has no idea - grab a calendar you muppet

offtherails9

Norm Smith Medallist
May 30, 2012
-
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Posted elsewhere but

over rounds 16-17 its school holidays in Vic, Qld and NT.
over rounds 17-18 its school holidays in NSW, WA and ACT
Over rounds 18-19 its school holidays in SA and Tas

So round 16 Thursday night could have been Vic (carlton v saints at marvel) - big game in context of the top 8, big tv audience and more chance of higher crowds
and round 17 Thursday night could have been NSW (sydney v bulldogs at scg) - big game, get sydney tv market
and round 18 Thursday night could have been WA (Freo v sydney at optus) - big game, again get syd market and WA
and round 19 Thursday night could have been SA (port v geelong at adelaide oval) - big game, get SA market

its not hard travis auld you muppet. he screwed over the suns in his time here, he is lauded as a replacement for gil but has no idea - grab a calendar you muppet

Those four games are perfect for TNF mate. Dunno why they've gone against what had worked for them and scheduled all of them in Melbourne this winter.

Back