Cryptozoology Thylacine (Tasmanian Tiger)

RobbyRoy

Norm Smith Medallist
May 3, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Victory
There was an article the other day, separate from the ABC's, that showed a colour video of a fairly recent sighting. It's rough as guts but I can't really put my finger on what else it could be, which is how I tend to initially attack these subjects.

If anyone is able to help me out and find the video that would be appreciated.

medusala

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 14, 2004
Loftus Road
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Certainly they survived post 1936, there are enough reliable sightings to indicate a few were kicking around for another fifty years or so. Hydro Tasmania employees used to see one at a power station in the southwest (note: not in the national park and not in typical Tiger territory, to be fair) but I think sightings for that specimen stopped in the 1970s or 1980s.

North east used to have quite a few sightings in the time line you named.

Put it this way, Tasmania has circa 2/3rd the land mass of England and a very small fraction of the population. Possible they exist? I would say maybe.

Ask the average Tasmanian how many tiger snakes or wedge tailed eagles they have seen. Or platypus. Or yabby.

Nugett

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
My grandfather who had a farm in the North West of the state used to swear that they were still alive and out there. He believed that they were still roaming about between Preolenna and Smithton. Mawbanna which is 20km’s south of Smithton is the location of where the last Thylacine was shot by Wilfred Batty. So it possible, I think unlikely that they could still be out there in that region.

I know that if I ever saw one, I would never tell anyone that I found one, or saw one.

Why is it every time someone claims they have videos or photos of the Thylacine, it's always grainy or out of focus? Why can't there be undeniable video or photo proof?
Maybe, like BigFoot, the remaining thylacines are naturally blurry?

Looney

Premiership Player
Apr 28, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
At the end of the day, the only way you can prove existence of Thylacine or Bigfoot is to capture a live specimen. Otherwise, people can always say it's fake.

Aug 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
The prevalence of sightings seems to suggest it's still alive.

I was listening to a video and they were talking to this elderly indigenous lady who had seen them right throughout her life 3-4 times. Says that First nations people know there are 6 different sub species. The biggest and most dangerous is the black one which she related had once killed a First nations person. Look at Wikipedia and says there are actually seven sub species so sounds right. Interesting

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
They are all gone sadly.

People always go with the sightings aspect but the thing that should be far more prevalent if they were about is the noise part of their presence.

You might not see them, their prints or their poo but the chance of hearing them would be much greater.

My grandfather who had a farm in the North West of the state used to swear that they were still alive and out there. He believed that they were still roaming about between Preolenna and Smithton. Mawbanna which is 20km’s south of Smithton is the location of where the last Thylacine was shot by Wilfred Batty. So it possible, I think unlikely that they could still be out there in that region.

I know that if I ever saw one, I would never tell anyone that I found one, or saw one.
About two weeks ago a mate of mine who used to live in Tassie told me he saw what he swears was one on Olivers Rd near Mt Roland. It crossed the road in front of him while he was driving. He is from Scotland and was training at the Maritime College. This would have been in the 2000s.

CD Xbow

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
About two weeks ago a mate of mine who used to live in Tassie told me he saw what he swears was one on Olivers Rd near Mt Roland. It crossed the road in front of him while he was driving. He is from Scotland and was training at the Maritime College. This would have been in the 2000s.
I really hope they are still alive. There is an article about the Tasmanian Pademelon on the ABC and in it, a biologist talks about how many Tiger sightings are actually Pademelons.

According to Dr Hocking, most Tasmanian tiger sightings are pademelons, and he says: "There's a good reason for that."

"They have proportionately longer forelimbs compared to wallabies and the bigger kangaroos," Dr Hocking says.

"That helps them walk on all four limbs."

While foraging for moss and shoots, paddies spend most of their time on all fours, like a thylacine, and that resemblance continues when they hop.

"When they hop, they tend to be a lot more horizontal [compared to other wallabies] to the ground. They have a fairly flat back with their tail sticking out off the ground behind them," Dr Hocking says.

"When they move fast, they don't bounce up and down, they move in a straight line.

"So, you see this flat back with the long tail protruding out the back.

"It's not surprising that most thylacine sightings are actually pademelons … they look pretty similar."

Wait there's more! Not content with mimicking our most famous cryptid, the Pademelon is also responsible for sighting of another famous cryptid, the Lesser Southern Drop Bear, pictured below.

d6b694139d6a90b77eeab588990c9b89

The article is worth a read, it's got some amazing imagery. I've also posted it in the science thread.

Talk of all these cryptids has got me excited about the latest cryptozoological findings, the Greater Tree Climbing Ammonite. I'll post some images soon.

I really hope they are still alive. There is an article about the Tasmanian Pademelon on the ABC and in it, a biologist talks about how many Tiger sightings are actually Pademelons.

According to Dr Hocking, most Tasmanian tiger sightings are pademelons, and he says: "There's a good reason for that."

"They have proportionately longer forelimbs compared to wallabies and the bigger kangaroos," Dr Hocking says.

"That helps them walk on all four limbs."

While foraging for moss and shoots, paddies spend most of their time on all fours, like a thylacine, and that resemblance continues when they hop.

"When they hop, they tend to be a lot more horizontal [compared to other wallabies] to the ground. They have a fairly flat back with their tail sticking out off the ground behind them," Dr Hocking says.

"When they move fast, they don't bounce up and down, they move in a straight line.

"So, you see this flat back with the long tail protruding out the back.

"It's not surprising that most thylacine sightings are actually pademelons … they look pretty similar."

Wait there's more! Not content with mimicking our most famous cryptid, the Pademelon is also responsible for sighting of another famous cryptid, the Lesser Southern Drop Bear, pictured below.

d6b694139d6a90b77eeab588990c9b89

The article is worth a read, it's got some amazing imagery. I've also posted it in the science thread.

Talk of all these cryptids has got me excited about the latest cryptozoological findings, the Greater Tree Climbing Ammonite. I'll post some images soon.
Since I posted that someone told me of a sighting they made not far from here in northern NSW. Could be a Pademelon based on what he said. It was around the Nightcap range. But I've seen cats bigger than blue heelers in there so it could have been a big tabby cat.

Both guys mentioned the stripes. Also the way the guy in Tassie mentioned it running across the road in front of him .. well I guess he'd have to see it move. I'll ask him if he has ever seen them (Pademelons_) and chase it up a bit. I grew up in Tassie and we used to go camping up in the central mountains. Us and another family mostly sometimes others. Sometimes one of the parents would take us driving at night thru little bush tracks and fire trails.

We saw so much stuff. Never seen anything like it on the mainland and I have spent alot of time in the bush. There were so many different animals, mostly just eyes and flashes of fur. LOL - honestly we could have seen a thylacine and we wouldn't have known.

CD Xbow

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Since I posted that someone told me of a sighting they made not far from here in northern NSW. Could be a Pademelon based on what he said. It was around the Nightcap range. But I've seen cats bigger than blue heelers in there so it could have been a big tabby cat.

Both guys mentioned the stripes. Also the way the guy in Tassie mentioned it running across the road in front of him .. well I guess he'd have to see it move. I'll ask him if he has ever seen them (Pademelons_) and chase it up a bit. I grew up in Tassie and we used to go camping up in the central mountains. Us and another family mostly sometimes others. Sometimes one of the parents would take us driving at night thru little bush tracks and fire trails.

We saw so much stuff. Never seen anything like it on the mainland and I have spent alot of time in the bush. There were so many different animals, mostly just eyes and flashes of fur. LOL - honestly we could have seen a thylacine and we wouldn't have known.
We tend to see what we want to see, so a brief look a pademelon could be interpreted as a Tiger. You are absolutely right about cats, average feral cats get a third larger by the second generation. I don't think the increase continues because we'd have some ferals as big as houses. Some sightings appear pretty credible, so I still hope it's out there.......I want to believe.....

We tend to see what we want to see, so a brief look a pademelon could be interpreted as a Tiger. You are absolutely right about cats, average feral cats get a third larger by the second generation. I don't think the increase continues because we'd have some ferals as big as houses. Some sightings appear pretty credible, so I still hope it's out there.......I want to believe.....
You know about the Gippsland feral cat yeah? 18 years ago now.

sdfc

Premiership Player
Feb 15, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swans
Thylacines shared Tassie with humans for millenia.

Maybe its not the species that's the problem, just the culture.
If they'd never lived on the mainland or were the only species driven to extinction by humans over the millenia you may have a point.

Nugett

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Shot to extinction by the mid-1930s and yes, Benjamin was the last recorded thylacinus cynocephalus, dying of a broken heart in either Richmond Zoo, Tasmania or a zoo in Richmond, Tasmania, 1936, not certain which. We certainly don't deserve it to be extant after what we did to it in quite a short period. Settlers blaming it for sheep losses it had nothing to do with. A bounty pretty much secured its doom. What an incredible animal, what a ******* moronic way to go.

It was Beaumaris Zoo. Near government house, around the Botanical Gardens.

Back