Toast Tiger’s dark days of early 90s make recent success sweeter

Remove this Banner Ad

Grew up in the club from about 8yo (1988). Dad worked at the club and I used to hang out there a bit. Went to the footy with Mal Brown and Campbell all the time and loved that. Guys like Jeff hogg, Tony free, Michael gale and richo were amazing. So nice to me and I love and respect each of them for that.
So so so many times driving home from the game dad would say to me "well, we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory there".
I just thought losing was the Richmond way.
When Benny came on board I resumed my membership and honestly believed from then that we were in the right path.
The flag last year was so satisfying for me because like any other tiger born in 1980, I had only ever known pain, adversity, ridicule and disappointment.
I look at footy differently now because I have seen a flag and I am so grateful for that.

Grew up in the club from about 8yo (1988). Dad worked at the club and I used to hang out there a bit. Went to the footy with Mal Brown and Campbell all the time and loved that. Guys like Jeff hogg, Tony free, Michael gale and richo were amazing. So nice to me and I love and respect each of them for that.
So so so many times driving home from the game dad would say to me "well, we snatched defeat from the jaws of victory there".
I just thought losing was the Richmond way.
When Benny came on board I resumed my membership and honestly believed from then that we were in the right path.
The flag last year was so satisfying for me because like any other tiger born in 1980, I had only ever known pain, adversity, ridicule and disappointment.
I look at footy differently now because I have seen a flag and I am so grateful for that.
My son and nephew were born in 83 and 84 and all they known is pain, the joy in their faces was unreal last year

On a seperate note my oldest grandson hasn’t seen a tiger loss

I was born in the 80’s and never saw success. I just figured it happened for other teams, not mine. By far my lowest point was only a few years ago when we lost to Melbourne after Tommy Hadey died. I thought if we cannot even beat Melbourne in response to one of one of Richmond’s greats dying then we will never ever be good.

Thankfully I was wrong.

It's not only the on field success that makes it sweeter, it's the off field transformation that is the sweetest for me.
During our halcyon days from 1967 to 1982 our club was a fiefdom controlled by Graeme Richmond and Ian Wilson.
They were ruthless to the extreme and built a dynasty... and then destroyed it so thoroughly that we almost went out of the comp by 1990!!
The mid 80's to 2009 were soul destroying apart from two prelims but even those two good years were built purely on passion with no bedrock to support long lasting success.
Contrast that to now and we are quite possibly THE strongest and most viable club in the AFL, most certainly in Victoria.
Even if we don't win the 2018 flag, and it's a distinct possibility, I believe that the Richmond Football Club won't ever be the laughing stock of the league again.

it was this period that cemented my undying love for Richmond. As a kid i had enjoyed regular success, including premierships. Into my teens and twenties I had to endure the horror of the team's ineptitude, bankruptcy and ridicule. Yet we stuck together and now I can bask in the glory of being a genuine great team.

In fact, I don't even really follow AFL that much anymore. I don't even like the game, as it is, much anymore. If Richmond isn't playing I could not give a rat's.

I don't love AFL. I love Richmond. The other 17 teams can go to hell. As can the AFL and all their bullshit. To me they exist to provide a team and competition for the Tiges. Nothing more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As a big footy post, that was a great read. Was pretty surprised when I got to the end and saw it was actually an article from the Hun though. Didn't seem like a professional journalist's work. Apparently the author is their head crime reporter.

Loved this article. Took me back to cold Saturday afternoons and walking out happy if it wasn't a complete blow out after half time. If we got within 4 goals... that was a win.

Always believed we underachieved in the mid 90s, our list was pretty good and should have been more successful. I remember I always had to be in my seat to sing the song at the start, to make sure I got to sing it on the day.. and if I sang it twice I would be talking finals the next year....:drunk:

Was 2 when we won in 1980, so going to the footy to watch the tiges growing up was like a rite of passage. It toughened you up, in fact in my last 2 job interviews I use being a Richmond member as an example of resilience - 100% strike rate using that one. ... but thankfully cant use it anymore and hopefully never again.

I look at my 2 boys and think... wow, you are just gonna love growing up Tigers......:rainbow:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back