Toast Tiger Dylan Grimes part of vintage crop

Remove this Banner Ad

Haven't tried it. Will definitely. By concentrating on Pinot and Chardonnay they have focussed on the right grapes for the area.
Chardonnay could be good. I won't bother with the Pinot.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thank You Dees,Hawks,Terry & Francis.

Dylan Grimes’s mother believes Francis Jackson should receive credit for building premiership side
Dylan Grimes barely spoke for days after being overlooked for the draft, and some coaches said he was useless. Now the stopper has become a backline supremo. And according to his mum, it is all thanks to one man.
Jon Ralph, Herald Sun
Subscriber only
|
December 15, 2019 6:03pm
Close

FOXSPORTS1:26
Bold Buckley talks new Roos
AFL: North Melbourne Kangaroos chairman Ben Buckley says the club grew impatient with slow growth and sloppy performances, resulting in a recent overhaul.

MORE IN SPORT

Pies, AFLPA rally behind Beams in latest fight

Newnes reveals why he turned his back on Saints

Rising Star’s brother trains with Carlton

similars

The email lobbed in the Herald Sun inbox from Dylan Grimes’ mother Cathy only days after this year’s premiership triumph.
Why doesn’t Richmond recruiter Francis Jackson get any love for building this premiership side, she asked?
Francis was this week feted with Richmond life membership as the recruiting boss who secured 16 players in the 2017 premiership side and trio more in this year’s bunch of flag heroes.
Stream over 50 sports Live & On-Demand with KAYO SPORTS on your TV, computer, mobile or tablet. Just $25/month, no lock-in contract. Get your 14-day free trial and start streaming instantly >

Dylan Grimes excelled in the absence of Alex Rance this year.
Dylan Grimes excelled in the absence of Alex Rance this year.
And yet as Grimes’ mum Cathy Coonan says, the criticism came thick and fast when Jackson called out names like Richard Tambling instead of luminaries including Lance Franklin.
Incredibly, Richmond was so cash-poor in Jackson’s early years that he was a part-time recruiter whose main job was working as a teacher at Brighton Grammar.
Yet when rivals ignored Grimes, Francis and then-coach Terry Wallace saw enough in the spindly defender to invite him down to the Tigers.
This year Grimes was football’s most improved player, a supposed dour stopper who became a backline supremo.

Richmond was once the club where high draft picks came to die, and yet alongside Jackson receiving life membership was one-game premiership star Marlion Pickett.
Footy’s laughing stock now leads the charge when it comes to inventive and bold recruiting.
MORE AFL NEWS:
Pies, AFLPA rally behind Beams in latest fight
Top five draftee feared Dees tackling machine
Newnes reveals why he turned his back on Saints
“Terry Wallace’s son played with Dylan at the Northern Knights and when he missed out Terry and Francis invited him down,” Noonan recalled yesterday when the Herald Sun finally called her about that email.
“He had been told Hawthorn would take him in the early 40s and instead they called out G.R.I.M … but it was Grimley instead of Grimes. It was (Northern Knights teammate) Sam. Melbourne said they would take him as their last pick and they chose not to do that.
“He was absolutely gutted to the point where he basically took off. I didn’t hear from him for days.
“He would leave home before we all got up and come home after we went to bed.
“That was on the Thursday. He finally acknowledged my text on the Sunday morning. I had said it wouldn’t define him and that I loved him and he said, “Thank you mum,” which made me cry.
“It was an awful time when he didn’t get in but through Francis and Terry he did the training and they took him in the pre-season draft.”
Dylan Grimes could have been a Hawk or a Demon. Picture: Michael Klein.
Dylan Grimes could have been a Hawk or a Demon. Picture: Michael Klein.
In those early 2000s footy was still an arms race and yet Richmond were paupers.
“Richmond pretty much flew him where they could but they couldn’t afford accommodation for him or for him to hire a car so he did a lot of it out of his pocket,” she said.
According to recent one comparison of those years, Collingwood’s recruiting budget was 15 times larger and yet Jackson found players like Shane Edwards (pick 26) as well as their array of current stars.
Jackson is now a recruiting officer as part of a team led by the recently promoted Blair Hartley with a list that includes Alex Rance (pick 18), Jack Riewoldt (pick 13) and the previously unwanted Sydney Stack and Kane Lambert.
Richmond’s only top-10 pick in the last nine national drafts has been Nick Vlastuin (pick nine).
And while every recruiter has busts the misfires like Reece Conca (No. 6) and Ben Lennon (No. 12) have been overwhelmed by the weight of value picks.
Coonan watched on this year and watched a son typecast as dour blossomed on-field and lauded for his leadership and work-life balance as he builds a Macedon winery with partner Elisha, who he married last month.
“Some coaches had told him horrible things, that he was useless. And to see him rise up and take on those challenged and become such a strong player in the league … well he won the league’s most courageous player award. That’s a pretty special moment.”

OK, a God among men. And a cool backstory.

FJ did a very good job. Plus some great development and a good game plan = 2 premierships.

FJ definitely deserves some credit. Especially after all the shade tigs2010 threw his way ;)

FJ definitely deserves some credit. Especially after all the shade tigs2010 threw his way ;)

FJ was one of the early adopters of stats and targeting certain aspects (e.g. kicking) in draftees. He ended up with a huge chunk of the current team. But our development changed from appalling to very good over the same period.

Reckon he'd be pretty chuffed about where we are right now.

And Grimes rocks.

Lol we do like rewriting history.
In Jacksons first 10 yrs i couldnt be bothered going any further Jackson had 81 picks that is N/D, PSD, Rookie. 10 of them went on to play in the 2017 premiership. Some of these 81 picks were mature types and may not be attributable to him but the fact they are in the three drafts i have included them. I have not included trades as i have never thought that an area of resposibility although im sure as our head recruiter he had input.
So out of all those picks he found 1 premiership player per yr.
Of those 81 my own opinion is only 13 were half decent players. There are probably 3 or 5 others that people could argue about and id be okay with that.
the 13 players are
1/ Deledio, 2/ Cotchin, 3/ Martin, 9/ Vlastuin, 13/ Riewoldt, 15/ Ellis, 18/ Rance, 26/ Edwards, 31/ McIntosh 35/ Astbury, Grimes psd, King (r), Miles (r)

In anyones language his first 10 yrs were appalling just three players in all drafts after pick 35. With only basically hits with a percentage of top 30 picks.
iM happy to do the remaining few yrs as well but im sure it continues in the same sort of vein

I hate seeing history rewritten. I understand we had issues but at the end of the day recruiting came down to him and he was lucky to keep his job imo. If we had continued in the same sort of vein then we would have never won a flag. finding just one good player a yr our good players would have been too old before we found enough others. We were so poor for so long because of recruiting and Jackson has to take responsibility for that.

OK, a God among men. And a cool backstory.

FJ did a very good job. Plus some great development and a good game plan = 2 premierships.
Bloody oath FJ did, working as a part timer recruiter for the Club! Not enough Kudos to FJ!!!
The KeyBoard recruiters with hindsight will all have done better than FJ's 2 out of 3 GF's!

In Jacksons first 10 yrs i couldnt be bothered going any further Jackson had 81 picks that is N/D, PSD, Rookie. 10 of them went on to play in the 2017 premiership. Some of these 81 picks were mature types and may not be attributable to him but the fact they are in the three drafts i have included them. I have not included trades as i have never thought that an area of resposibility although im sure as our head recruiter he had input.
Of those 81 my own opinion is only 13 were half decent players. There are probably 3 or 5 others that people could argue about and id be okay with that.
the 13 players are
1/ Deledio, 2/ Cotchin, 3/ Martin, 9/ Vlastuin, 13/ Riewoldt, 15/ Ellis, 18/ Rance, 26/ Edwards, 31/ McIntosh 35/ Astbury, Grimes psd, King (r), Miles (r)

In anyones language his first 10 yrs were appalling just three players in all drafts after pick 35. With only basically hits with a percentage of top 30 picks.
iM happy to do the remaining few yrs as well but im sure it continues in the same sort of vein

I hate seeing history rewritten. I understand we had issues but at the end of the day recruiting came down to him and he was lucky to keep his job imo. If we had continued in the same sort of vein then we would have never won a flag. finding just one good player a yr our good players would have been too old before we found enough others. We were so poor for so long because of recruiting and Jackson has to take responsibility for that.
I couldn't be bothered going any further after your rewriting history jibe against FJ!

I couldn't be bothered going any further after your rewriting history jibe against FJ!
No jibes mate just Facts and more facts. you only need look for yourself. One thing for sure about recruiters they can be judged on their picks and the truth is Jackson had a million of them for very little success. Fact after 7 yrs of Jacksons recruiting we were labelled worse than fitzroy simply because we had so few hits in the nd /rookie psd.It took 10 yrs just to make a final only to be beaten by the team that finished 9th.
He was roundly laughed at not only by us but buy his peers in the footy community.

In anyones language he was horrid and we finally did something about it in 2016. At any other club he would have been long gone.

Imo any key board warrior with half a clue would have had just as many hits as FJ IT WOULDNT BE HARD THERE WERE SO FEW.

the 13 players are

I don’t think Francis Jackson was there when Deledio was recruited. It seems he was employed in 2005 but not sure if he inputted to that year’s draft.

So from 2006 he has definitely had a strong input to our drafting. One way of measuring a recruiter’s effectiveness is as you have done, to count up the amount of picks the club had in a period and then to count how many of the players selected met a certain standard, in this case you have selected “half decent” as the standard. We could also select “elite” as the standard, or 100+ games or some other measure. What your method doesn’t account for is just how good the good selections have been. As our recent history has shown if you build a strong very strong core to lead the team it is possible to rapidly fill the team up with good role players later.

I am sure this has been argued ad nauseam on this forum but to get Riewoldt, Edwards, Cotchin, Rance, Martin, Astbury, Ellis, Vlastuin, Mcintosh, so 9 individual premiership players with 1 Premiership Captain, 3 Coleman Medals, 2 Brownlow Medals, 2 Norm Smith Medals, 5 All Australians, some of those multiples, from 17 first or second round picks in the period Jackson was chief recruiter(and much of that in a hampered capacity,) seems to me a very respectable return. If you think some other recruiting department did better throughout that period, let’s have their list of achievements to compare.

Those 8 drafts also yielded King, Grimes, Houli, who have been significantly useful, to say the least. So if I have this right, in his 8 drafts in charge we net 4 absolute decorated champions(Cotchin, Rance, Riewoldt, Martin,) 5 unquestionably key contributors to multiple premiership teams, Edwards, Astbury, Vlastuin, Houli, Grimes, and Ellis, Mcintosh, who were at the very least useful premiership contributors, and the inimitable Jake King. So by my reckoning that is 12 strong players from 8 drafts at the rate of 1.5 per season, which is getting much closer to the amount you need to sustain a strong team than the one per season you stated he achieved.

2014 netted Soldo, Lambert, Castagna, Butler, Short.

2015 we got Rioli, Broad, Chol

2016 Bolton, Graham, Garthwaite.

2017 Higgins, Coleman-Jones, Balta, Naish, Baker

2018 Pickett, Collier-Dawkins, Stack, Ross, Turner

So since 2014 we seem to have been averaging around or above 3 half decent players recruited per season and I am sure Jackson has played his part in that.

Now I am not sure where his responsibilities started and ended in each year as the recruiting department became better resourced, so hopefully somebody can illuminate us about that. But when we needed future stars and leaders from high draft picks, as far as I can see he has produced those admirably, and later where we needed talented role players we have produced those seemingly at will.

I just think that to be credibly critical of Jackson you need to show rivals who have done better with less and as matters stand right now, I am not sure you could.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back