Tiger Family World Cup Cricket Chat (Opposition Welcome)

Remove this Banner Ad

Loving the World Cup so far - is going to be a bit dull until the semis but shaping up to be a good finals series - itā€™s on at a good time for evening viewing over here in the West too

Good distraction from a mediocre footy season for the mighty tigs!

Loving the World Cup so far - is going to be a bit dull until the semis but shaping up to be a good finals series - itā€™s on at a good time for evening viewing over here in the West too

Good distraction from a mediocre footy season for the mighty tigs!
Hate to be a bowler! Big scores being posted!

England lose to Sri Lanka,magnificent line and length bowling spell from Malinga,his yorkers stopping Englandā€™s batsmen,something our 2nd tier of Aussie bowlers can aspire too.

England face the top 3 teams in their next 3 matches.

Cmon Aussie!

Does anyone on this thread seriously believe these World Cup games are genuine? Do you really think a professional bowler would serve up thigh height full tosses and half track junk ball after ball in the last few overs the way Henry did if he was trying to bowl properly? No bigger cricket lover than me but do yourself a favour and switch the garbage off. Every single match is completely bent.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does anyone on this thread seriously believe these World Cup games are genuine? Do you really think a professional bowler would serve up thigh height full tosses and half track junk ball after ball in the last few overs the way Henry did if he was trying to bowl properly? No bigger cricket lover than me but do yourself a favour and switch the garbage off. Every single match is completely bent.

Yeah

I'd rather believe that they are genuine than be that cynical!

I'd rather believe that they are genuine than be that cynical!

Your faith is admirable. But you want to have faith in the right things in life. I am in a much better position than most to judge this, although my post is based solely on my judgement, not on certain knowledge. But just ask yourself throughout any of these matches, do the actions of all players, batsmen, bowlers and fielders appear natural. Ask yourself why it might be the batsmen can score easily, then suddenly hardly at all, then easily again then the scoring slows again. And why bowlers can be bowling perfectly well then suddenly bowl utter garbage for a time. Same for fielders. Ask yourself about what the commentators are saying. Is it ever truly insightful, or truly critical? Have a look at the email Michael Holding exposed, where he revealed all commentators are told what they can and cannot talk about, by someone from the ICC. Why do you think this would be? And why do the ICC make a big thing of banning phones in the dressing rooms, but everyone in there has unfettered access to the internet on laptops - and I am not kidding about that. Why then people from the dressing room are allowed to run messages out to the players on field under the guise of tending to injuries, drinks, fresh gloves, new bats etc? Why a dozen or more full time employees of the anti corruption unit have never unearthed and a single example of corruption?

I am afraid the great sport is deceased. RIP cricket.

Last edited:
Just watching Bangladesh v Afghanistan and OMG!!!! A bowler just bowled a bad ball
It must be rigged... šŸ˜³

You can mock a point I did not make but that you impute to me...or you can consider the points I did make. It is your life, your mind, your choice. You can believe what is easy to believe, what is being sold to you by people with a vested interest, or think it through for yourself. I have no vested interest in you believing one thing or the other, I am merely trying to alert you to something that is obvious to me, and that I am in a position to see better than just about any casual observer. I do this not for my benefit, for I already know. I do it only for the benefit of yourself and others here and maybe because the more people who know, the more will switch off and the more pressure there will be on those running the sport to clean it up.

When Rashid Khan, considered THE best short form bowler in the world bowled 9 overs 0-110 against England, did you believe this was somehow because he was just having on off day? Do you think on an off day a bowler in 54 attempts cannot produce a single signature delivery, the like of which he bowls at will on any other day? But instead he produces a stunning array of slow short deliveries, slow full deliveries and full tosses such that you or I would have no trouble smashing him at will. Do you ask then why England come out and lose to Pakistan and Sri Lanka, and the England coach casually explains that the batsmen took it a bit easy in this apparently crucial match v Sri Lanka and they didn't do the things that were needed to win on this pitch, as if this happened by accident, and nobody questions him as to why they would be so lax in such a big match? Do you care to ask yourself why Micky Arthur, coach of Pakistan is asked why Haris Sohail slowed down in his last three overs at the crease v South Africa when he was in the position where a set batsman is compelled to attack, and Arthur evaded the question completely and instead told the questioner what he should be noticing instead of this very inexplicable slow down?

Or do you carry on buying what is being sold to you because it seems vaguely like a sport you were once fascinated by because you were intrigued by the characters, the contests, the conditions, the tactics, the skills, the daring, the self denial and so on?

If you mock me after dismissing my points without consideration, or worse, after imputing to me a point to you can then heroically dismiss, you do yourself no service, and give me nothing to inspire better clarity. This is why I disliked your post, not because I dislike you, as I have seen other posts you have made that were good. I disliked it because it was crap.

Last edited:
You can mock a point I did not make but that you impute to me...or you can consider the points I did make. It is your life, your mind, your choice. You can believe what is easy to believe, what is being sold to you by people with a vested interest, or think it through for yourself. I have no vested interest in you believing one thing or the other, I am merely trying to alert you to something that is obvious to me, and that I am in a position to see better than just about any casual observer. I do this not for my benefit, for I already know. I do it only for the benefit of yourself and others here and maybe because the more people who know, the more will switch off and the more pressure there will be on those running the sport to clean it up.

When Rashid Khan, considered THE best short form bowler in the world bowled 9 overs 0-110 against England, did you believe this was somehow because he was just having on off day? Do you think on an off day a bowler in 54 attempts cannot produce a single signature delivery, the like of which he bowls at will on any other day? But instead he produces a stunning array of slow short deliveries, slow full deliveries and full tosses such that you or I would have no trouble smashing him at will. Do you ask then why England come out and lose to Pakistan and Sri Lanka, and the England coach casually explains that the batsmen took it a bit easy in this apparently crucial match v Sri Lanka and they didn't do the things that were needed to win on this pitch, as if this happened by accident, and nobody questions him as to why they would be so lax in such a big match? Do you care to ask yourself why Micky Arthur, coach of Pakistan is asked why Haris Sohail slowed down in his last three overs at the crease v South Africa when he was in the position where a set batsman is compelled to attack, and Arthur evaded the question completely and instead told the questioner what he should be noticing instead of this very inexplicable slow down?

Or do carry on buying what is being sold to you because it seems vaguely like a sport you were once fascinated by because you were intrigued by the characters, the contests, the conditions, the tactics, the skills, the daring, the self denial and so on?

If you mock me after dismissing my points without consideration, or worse, after imputing to me a point to you can then heroically dismiss, you do yourself no service, and give me nothing to inspire better clarity. This is why I disliked your post, not because I dislike you, as I have seen other posts you have made that were good. I disliked it because it was crap.

I think youā€™re overthinking it. The pitches are complete highways. Have been for years. If thereā€™s any cheating going on itā€™s the ICC removing green and bouncy wickets as much as possible to suit batting and spinning sides.

Forget the rest of it. Even Starc and Cummins are struggling to get hauls.

Is there corruption going on beyond that? Yeah probably. But itā€™s not every single ball bowled like youā€™ve implied.

BTW you didnā€™t really make many points backed by fact or data. Not a lot of inference but plenty of supposition.

I think youā€™re overthinking it. The pitches are complete highways. Have been for years. If thereā€™s any cheating going on itā€™s the ICC removing green and bouncy wickets as much as possible to suit batting and spinning sides.

Forget the rest of it. Even Starc and Cummins are struggling to get hauls.

Is there corruption going on beyond that? Yeah probably. But itā€™s not every single ball bowled like youā€™ve implied.

BTW you didnā€™t really make many points backed by fact or data. Not a lot of inference but plenty of supposition.

How does overthinking work? Do you mean I take too much notice of what I am watching?

I have watched almost all televised cricket for about twenty years. It was my job to watch, and notice. Over the course of that time you come to observe certain patterns and even a pattern to the things that occur outside the most observed patterns. Rarely would I see something in a genuine contest that I did not understand, and if I did, then I sought to understand it by seeking further information or observing how the players or venue performed from then on. Very very rarely you would just have to accept that something remarkable can happen against all sane expectations.

Nowadays and especially since about one year ago, I have noticed these inexplicable things occurring against all sane expectations much more often. Almost always when it happens, there is a noticeable lack of skill or intent on the other side of the equation. So Morgan smashes 17 sixes in an innings v Afghans, many off Rashid, you think wow, that is off the charts, nobody in their right mind could expect that. Then you look at the balls he struck them off and it suddenly doesn't look so amazing....then you wonder what possible explanation could there be for this champion bowler to bowl in that manner....

So what part of that is being overthought? At what precise point should an observer switch his brain off and just have faith that this sport that is known to be corrupt has magically cured itself? The same sport that is run from a country known to be more corrupt than anything you or I have ever been exposed to. The same sport that has both laughable safeguards against corruption from outside influences, but absolutely NO safeguard against institutionalised corruption.

Or, if it hasn't cured itself and IS riddled with corruption, why would the corrupting forces, given control of all the elements required to corrupt the sport in the first place, why would they not corrupt every passage of play?

Am I overthinking it, or you are not thinking it through? Is that not what corrupting forces would rely upon, people not noticing?

Or a human being had an off day!

Or, now we know why Dusty Martin, a champion footballer, had such a poor start to the season... on the take!

How does overthinking work? Do you mean I take too much notice of what I am watching?

I have watched almost all televised cricket for about twenty years. It was my job to watch, and notice. Over the course of that time you come to observe certain patterns and even a pattern to the things that occur outside the most observed patterns. Rarely would I see something in a genuine contest that I did not understand, and if I did, then I sought to understand it by seeking further information or observing how the players or venue performed from then on. Very very rarely you would just have to accept that something remarkable can happen against all sane expectations.

Nowadays and especially since about one year ago, I have noticed these inexplicable things occurring against all sane expectations much more often. Almost always when it happens, there is a noticeable lack of skill or intent on the other side of the equation. So Morgan smashes 17 sixes in an innings v Afghans, many off Rashid, you think wow, that is off the charts, nobody in their right mind could expect that. Then you look at the balls he struck them off and it suddenly doesn't look so amazing....then you wonder what possible explanation could there be for this champion bowler to bowl in that manner....

So what part of that is being overthought? At what precise point should an observer switch his brain off and just have faith that this sport that is known to be corrupt has magically cured itself? The same sport that is run from a country known to be more corrupt than anything you or I have ever been exposed to. The same sport that has both laughable safeguards against corruption from outside influences, but absolutely NO safeguard against institutionalised corruption.

Or, if it hasn't cured itself and IS riddled with corruption, why would the corrupting forces, given control of all the elements required to corrupt the sport in the first place, why would they not corrupt every passage of play?

Am I overthinking it, or you are not thinking it through? Is that not what corrupting forces would rely upon, people not noticing?
Overthinking is when you spend so much time thinking about a pattern that has appeared, that you create a convoluted, unhelpful explanation for it when there just isnā€™t one there.
For example, by overthinking it Iā€™m sure anyone could explain this correlation

DD7B09E9-1986-4FA9-81D4-1FB044B76FA7.png
When really, itā€™s no more than a funny correlation that has appeared by random chance.

Back to cricket, Iā€™m no ICC defender, they act with limited integrity at the best of times, but to suggest they are going as far as wording up players is simply ridiculous, if only because of how many people would have to know about it. Much like the whole flat earth theory or faked moon landing theory, there are too many people for the secret to be realistically kept. Players have bad days sometimes. Shane Warne took 0/147 once. Don Bradman made 7 ducks in his career. And now more than ever, if youā€™re a little bit off, youā€™ll be punished for it. Iā€™m not surprised that Rashid, against the most dynamic batting line up in the world, with likely no support in the field or at the other end, could go 0/110 if he had a bad day.

Overthinking is when you spend so much time thinking about a pattern that has appeared, that you create a convoluted, unhelpful explanation for it when there just isnā€™t one there.
For example, by overthinking it Iā€™m sure anyone could explain this correlation

View attachment 698151
When really, itā€™s no more than a funny correlation that has appeared by random chance.

Back to cricket, Iā€™m no ICC defender, they act with limited integrity at the best of times, but to suggest they are going as far as wording up players is simply ridiculous, if only because of how many people would have to know about it. Much like the whole flat earth theory or faked moon landing theory, there are too many people for the secret to be realistically kept. Players have bad days sometimes. Shane Warne took 0/147 once. Don Bradman made 7 ducks in his career. And now more than ever, if youā€™re a little bit off, youā€™ll be punished for it. Iā€™m not surprised that Rashid, against the most dynamic batting line up in the world, with likely no support in the field or at the other end, could go 0/110 if he had a bad day.
Proper answer, well done. :thumbsu:
Unlike my flippant offerings... :oops:

View attachment 698151

You guys are Richmond supporters and I love you for it, so some of these arguments are going to need a little deconstruction if you will indulge me. Let us start with this one because it is full of obvious flaws.....

View attachment 698151

There are a few things here. This is an extremely bad example of the fallacy of reasoning that was described by the Latin phrase post hoc ergo propter hoc (after this therefore because of this.) Why it is such a bad example is because you would struggle to find a person mad, sane or undiagnosed who believed that there could be any causal link between the amount of films Nicholas Cage made every year and the number of drownings from people falling into a pool in that year merely because you can create a graph that follows a vaguely similar pattern only if you condense the scale on one axis so as to make a 20% increase in drownings appear to match a 100% increase in Nicholas Cage films.

Also, to give this example of a very wayward attribution as one that would result from overthinking, is to assume that the more a person thought about such a thing the further from the truth they would get. In my experience, the reverse is more often true. To be sure, what you are describing appears poor reasoning, but why would we call poor reasoning "overthinking?"

However, I think your point here is that I have created a convoluted, unhelpful explanation for changes I have observed in cricket when there just isn't one there. So to believe this you would have to believe that institutionalised corruption in cricket does not, or could not exist, because that is my explanation for the changes I have seen. Yet I am sure all posters here are aware that corruption is an ongoing spectre looming over cricket. So if the corruption is not institutionalised and players are being approached all the time as the ICC claims, why has there been barely any action against those doing the approaching? Hint: it is pointless approaching players to corrupt cricket matches because they are already all working for another regime. Any time you see poor old Sreesanth, or Jayasuriya arrested or charged, it is because they have either been fitted up or are working on behalf of rival gangs or both.

The ICC anti-corruption chief, prior to this World Cup made one of the most hilarious statements I have ever read.

If you can read that and keep a straight face you must be Elliot Goblet. He actually said they have disinvited the known corruptors to the World Cup and these known corruptors have promised him they are not coming to the World Cup. Oh, and he said if any more pop up they will also be spoken to, and presumably disinvited. My god these corrupting monsters must be quaking in their boots.

So if that is what the ICC is doing about corruption I might ask how could anyone believe the sport is not institutionally corrupt?

Back to cricket, Iā€™m no ICC defender, they act with limited integrity at the best of times, but to suggest they are going as far as wording up players is simply ridiculous, if only because of how many people would have to know about it.

Is it? Why the above farcical rubbish then and all the other things I have alluded to and believe me there is a whole lot more that others have done a lot more work on than I have. Say you were a cricketer on a huge contract and you were told if you want to keep your contract you do as you are told. And you say f*** you I am playing properly. Then say you are told it may be in the interests of your health to do it and keep your mouth shut, besides you will be well looked after. And you might be a brave person with high integrity. So you say f*** you do your worst I am playing properly. So then they say we have some information about your behaviour that your wife or partner may be interested in....and if that doesn't work, we know you have a mum and dad and family, you utter a word we may not be able to guarantee their safety....

When cricket matches of the magnitude of the WC are played, ten years ago it was known that turnover in illegal markets alone would amount to a billion $US or more. Presumably that is even bigger now. There are known to be powerful subcontinental criminal gangs involved. If you are up against that are you talking up? Do you think that of say 1000 people one would speak up? When by keeping your mouth shut all stays rosy in your world, you get lucrative contracts, and god knows what other dividends.

I am not suggesting the ICC is wording up players because I do not think it would work like that. I am suggesting someone is, and the ICC is under strict instruction to not interfere, and clearly all the home boards would be as well. Anyway, I have said more than enough on this, but you should watch with open eyes and an open mind.

Back to your post because the next bit needs a some attention as well....

Much like the whole flat earth theory or faked moon landing theory, there are too many people for the secret to be realistically kept.

You may wish to edit this sentence because it appears to contain a big non sequitur amongst some questionable assumptions. What exactly is this flat earth theory you speak of and how would too many people knowing about it have jeopardised anyone or anything? To my understanding the legitimate academic world is almost in total agreement that the world was never believed to be flat by learned people in the Middle Ages as we were falsely led to believe when we were at school. So you might want to go to college on that one for your own benefit.

Moreover, it is a result of very poor reasoning, you might say "overthinking" to suggest that because some people(falsely we assume) believe the moon landing to have been faked therefore any conspiracy involving large amounts of people is impossible to keep secret. It is well documented this has been mastered for long periods by for example organised criminal gangs the world over for at least the last century and I am sure well prior to that.

Shane Warne took 0/147 once. Don Bradman made 7 ducks in his career.

Those outcomes fall within a normal range of expectations, so they do not help to explain why someone like Rashid suddenly bowls a spell of 54 balls without a single signature ball where he had performances immediately before and after where he bowled them at will. That is outside a normal range of expectations. Haris Sohail not trying to score boundaries in the final 3 overs of the innings v South Africa is also outside a normal range of expectations, and if I sat and watched every match with you no doubt I could furnish you with many other examples of things falling outside a normal range of expectations.

And now more than ever, if youā€™re a little bit off, youā€™ll be punished for it.

If we were to watch the tournament in its entirety together, I could also show you innumerable examples of performances that are a little bit off and not punished at all. So what do you base this sweeping statement upon?

Iā€™m not surprised that Rashid, against the most dynamic batting line up in the world, with likely no support in the field or at the other end, could go 0/110 if he had a bad day.

I am also not surprised Rashid did this because I have seen him do similarly inexplicable things before. And those times he wasn't up against the "most dynamic batting lineup in the world." Where you will presumably say this is within a normal range of expectations, I will say find me precedents for the best bowler in the world at his peak being plundered like this in a big game on the world stage....prior to corruption becoming rampant in the sport...the closest you will likely get is Mick Lewis in Jo'burg when Aus failed to defend 434, but he was probably not even the best bowler for his state at that time.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back