Tiger Family World Cup Cricket Chat (Opposition Welcome)

Remove this Banner Ad

Well who would have thought, Australia just don't seem to have turned up at all v the might and power of the 'gland.

Aus win toss, bat, lol.

England say they would have batted too, lol lol.

Starc magically lost all ability in the last two matches lol lol lol.

Strange indeed.

Lollygate?

Your post reinforces my point. Not sure that was your intention though. But let's see if we can get someone to be brave enough to answer this question:

Do you think Dhoni did his absolute best to win that match v NZ? If so, any possible explanation for leaving a ball with 31 balls left needing 53 to win?

Last batsmen. He could and has won with boundary hitting, no point throwing away a slim chance of winning by swinging at balls outside his hitting zone.

If he was trying to lose then a big swing at a good length delivery is a lot easier than trying to dig in and bide your time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You sit there with your conclusive proof that Dhoni was throwing the game and every other nationality are corrupt yet us aussies could not possibly stoop that low,

Melbourne threw the game against us for the tom Scully pick, the AFL condoned that match fixing, and you don’t think the 2016 grand final can be questioned.

Warner selling pitch secrets to bookies. But not actually engaging in match fixing... as that’s un Australian. Unlike sandpaper if to win an ashes series, as * the Poms.

Yeah our batting is better, maybe the bookies have got to finch and warner
Not as much as they got to Starc with the pies he served up $$$$$$$$$$$, and Stoinis well he doesn't have to play cricket ever again with the payout he got for playing crap, sucked the bookies in big time did ol Marcus, he forgot to tell them he is crap $$$$$$$$$$$, Maxwell was paid to slog slog then spoon fed a catch to cover $$$$$$$$$$

And Finch throwing the ball to Smith for an over $$$$$$$$$$$$ Finchy rolling in it.

Any selectors who didn’t want Wade picked should be sacked on the spot imo
Hindsight is a great thing but with his current form and experience, he is obviously the better choice than Handscomb who seems to crumble under pressure. Handscomb didn't look comfortable out there at all and was never going to make a good score with his foot movement as stagnant as it was. The selectors just don't like Wade for some reason and it may have cost us.

Hindsight is a great thing but with his current form and experience, he is obviously the better choice than Handscomb who seems to crumble under pressure. Handscomb didn't look comfortable out there at all and was never going to make a good score with his foot movement as stagnant as it was. The selectors just don't like Wade for some reason and it may have cost us.
Wade has been the in form batsman of domestic cricket for the best part of the last 12mths, piling on runs in every format of the game. Perhaps his international record isn’t great but he’s never been in this sort of form. The fact he hasn’t gotten a single game - in the lead up to the World Cup or in it - is quite ridiculous.

Warner selling pitch secrets to bookies. But not actually engaging in match fixing... as that’s un Australian. Unlike sandpaper if to win an ashes series, as fu** the Poms.

Not sure how to take this post

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last batsmen. He could and has won with boundary hitting, no point throwing away a slim chance of winning by swinging at balls outside his hitting zone.

If he was trying to lose then a big swing at a good length delivery is a lot easier than trying to dig in and bide your time.

You obviously have faith in Dhoni. However, your post is in my opinion based on a few incorrect beliefs, namely:

- That Dhoni was the last batsman, he had Jadeja firing at the other end on 66 not out off 50 balls,
- That the ball was outside his hitting zone. It was a short of a length ball about 18-24 inches outside off stump. This is in every batsman's hitting zone when well set and no slips in place, certainly in Dhoni's,
- That trying to score off this particular ball would somehow equate to having thrown away the match in the event he was dismissed. That is patently wrong.
- That they had a slim chance of winning. I wasn't watching prices at the time but would estimate the market would have given them at least a 35% chance of victory,
- That a batsman in trying to ensure his team loses needs to get out as soon as possible. A batsman can just as easily ensure a loss by staying in and not scoring at a sufficient rate, as happened here.
- That when needing 52 to win from 31 balls the only precious and scarce resource is your wicket. This is patently wrong as you could protect both wickets easily by not playing shots and not even come close to winning because you run out of balls to face,
- That Dhoni somehow has a greater ability than others to recover situations where massive run rates are required off the final few overs. He doesn't, and never has had. He has lost way more matches from these situations than he has won(naturally, who wouldn't as it is very difficult) but more tellingly he has lost way more matches from these positions than the markets expected him to win.

The leave of that 31st last ball was only one of the many things Dhoni got wrong in the late part of that innings, but I have focussed on it because it is so obvious to see that leaving a ball in that situation has the average expectancy of reducing your chances of victory. And a leave is an unarguably deliberate action....if genuinely trying to maximise his team's probability of victory, there were three courses of action available to Dhoni:

1 very low risk option of trying to ease the ball for a single,

2 slightly higher risk option of swinging hard enough for the ball to reach the boundary in the event it missed all fielders, but also opening up the possibility of scoring a 2 or a 3,

3 higher risk option of slashing indiscriminately in the air, risking getting caught, but also opening the stronger possibility to score 4 or 6.

If option 3 was considered imprudent, and I can accept it may be for the reasons you gave, then options 1 and 2 are what you go to in that situation, not a leave.

*en pommies

Boundary countback is a shite way to end that. Like having a tie in a golf.playoff and giving the win to the longest drive

fu**en pommies

Boundary countback is a s**t way to end that. Like having a tie in a golf.playoff and giving the win to the longest drive
Totally agree... super overs with different players until a winner is found, or even like local cricket where higher on the ladder wins (England) or head to head during the tournament (England) but not wickets lost! :p

what an absolute * up of a way to finish a world cup.

I didn't care who won but the fact a winner has been declared that neither won the main game or the super over is a joke.

If they are going to do a count back it should have gone back to the fact that NZ still had wickets in hand but England were bowled all out.

not some bullshit about most boundaries.

That would be like if there was a tie in the NBA just going back and seeing who hit the most 3 pointers..

just keep playing super overs until there is a winner.

what an absolute fu** up of a way to finish a world cup.

I didn't care who won but the fact a winner has been declared that neither won the main game or the super over is a joke.

If they are going to do a count back it should have gone back to the fact that NZ still had wickets in hand but England were bowled all out.

not some bulls**t about most boundaries.

That would be like if there was a tie in the NBA just going back and seeing who hit the most 3 pointers..

just keep playing super overs until there is a winner.
Spot on.
Should have been wickets lost.
Gee Stokes is a good player though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back