nineteen eighty

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2003
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TIGERS
Was thinking about how our mids stack up against some of the better teams given we consistently get beaten in the clearances. Now I know that we don't rely on stoppage clearances and rely on putting pressure on the opposition to create "dirty ball" to win it one possession down. However, that simply did not work in the Prelim where the Pies not only won the clearances (easily) but out pressured us. The combination of pressure and clearances was too much for us to combat on the night.

So back to our mids:

Top end
  • Cotchin
  • Martin
  • Edwards
  • Prestia
  • Lambert

Part time
  • Caddy (I think he's the one now that Lynch has joined us that can go into the middle and win his 20 inside possessions and add significant value to our stoppage play)
  • Menadue (as an outside running wingman)
  • Jack Graham (into his 3rd year next year and should see a step up)
  • Rioli (real wild card for us if he can move into a mid / forward role)
  • Jack Higgins (still a kid so no expectations from me re: midfield role yet)
  • Kamdyn McIntosh (will continue to be valuable with his outside run)
  • Brandon Ellis (as above...should have significant upside in 19 given his down 18 form)

We also have Houli, Short, Castagna and Butler who can run through the middle but I see them more as role players or good running backs (Houli & Short).

The club has recruited inside mids through the draft but I don't see the kids playing any significant role for next year.

Our top end is very good but I do think we need one or 2 others to step up into that bracket. I see Rioli and Caddy being the 2 for next year. Graham potentially can also be a 20 possie player.

Thoughts?

One bull extracting mid is what we need...
We have quality just lack a grunter in the mould of Whako Jacko and/or Tucky..

That's why I think Caddy can come into the midfield and play the role. He's built like a tank. Will need to improve his running over the preseason but I do think he is one that can step up.

Add more Caddy and Dusty, Jack Graham maturing to get possessions, and Snags Higgins looked the real deal at seasons end, and out ddepth should be much better in 2019.

Our drafting was great for our midfield.

If things go right we'll be stronger in the midfield next year, and replace players over the next few years with quality. So not the best maybe, but pretty close.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back