Tiger Old Timers if you could trade 2019 for a victory in the 1982 Grand Final would you do it?

Remove this Banner Ad

I went in 1982 and walked out with the most empty feeling that I hadn't had before and haven't had since.

Most disappointed I have felt after a game of football so I might be tempted to trade.

We smashed them two weeks earlier and we had recovered so well after their mosquito fleet slammed on 3 quick goals in the rain soaked opening minutes of the game.

It really depends if it changes 83 onwards.
I was 9 in 82. I remember watching the broadcast and it sucked. I clearly remember they played eye of the tiger on the closing credits. So yeah it sucked, but not as much as what was going to happen in the next 37 years.
Win 82 and not end up on a path to save our skins and yep you'd be a fool not to take it.
But if it's a straight swap, you'd need something special to replace the marlion story, dusty winning the norm Smith (though of course rioli wins in 82), and shitting on the plastics.
I don't ever want to swap beating Geelong in 17 and 19 either!

1982 set us back 37 years. If we win that day it is arguable that many of the dark days immediately afterwards, do not eventuate. But I loved every moment of the 2019 grand final, so I am at a loss

1982 set us back 37 years. If we win that day it is arguable that many of the dark days immediately afterwards, do not eventuate. But I loved every moment of the 2019 grand final, so I am at a loss
I was going to say the same thing about '82. That loss seemed to be the watershed that turned us from the then powerhouse team into a 37 year joke. Maybe the burn from that loss led to those disastrous trade and financial decisions - but who knows? I do know that a Carlton supporting girl invited me to watch the 1982 gf at her house telling me it would be just the 2 of us and we could celebrate together afterwards no matter who won. However, when I arrived there were a few other people there including a Carlton supporting bloke who was obviously keen on her. The day still started off well for me on all fronts, but it all ended badly - & I even missed the stripper (I can't remember how).

However, I would not trade 2019 for 1982. I've got a heaps better bird now than that Carlton supporter (and she barracks for the Tiges), the tigers are up and the blooze are a joke. Bliss.

I was going to say the same thing about '82. That loss seemed to be the watershed that turned us from the then powerhouse team into a 37 year joke. Maybe the burn from that loss led to those disastrous trade and financial decisions - but who knows? I do know that a Carlton supporting girl invited me to watch the 1982 gf at her house telling me it would be just the 2 of us and we could celebrate together afterwards no matter who won. However, when I arrived there were a few other people there including a Carlton supporting bloke who was obviously keen on her. The day still started off well for me on all fronts, but it all ended badly - & I even missed the stripper (I can't remember how).

However, I would not trade 2019 for 1982. I've got a heaps better bird now than that Carlton supporter (and she barracks for the Tiges), the tigers are up and the blooze are a joke. Bliss.
Yeah but what happened to the Carlton supporting girl?!?!?

1980 win, 1982 loss ~ wilderness. History can't be changed
2017 win 2018 loss, 2019 win: 2020 ?? 2021 ?? RFClub is vastly different to 1982. Harmony at board level, coaching level and among the player group. Heaps of members etc etc etc. RFClub is well positioned to win a few more & remain a powerhouse. I'd take the stability at the club now over a return to the club of the 80s. I reckon we have 2 more flags in this administration/list. Then I hope we a Geelong like, always in the 8, competitive every year.

That’s bs , lots of wrong turns that can be put to mismanagement, I don’t believe the gf win would have erased all that

Theres no way, all a 1982 victory would have done was embolden an already pretty inept and arrogant boardroom making a lot of bad decisions. Even if 82' was victorious I still think it was the last death throws of a troubled club internally. 17' & 19' are just the beginning, I feel the clubs in the best position right now, from top to bottom than its ever been, I wouldn't swap 1982 for what we've built now for anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon the rot was in too deep in by 82. Perhaps if we'd won we might have avoided the Mal Brown etc garbage. But the 'we're too tough brigade' was in charge. And they refused to learn about the modern game. I reckon in 3 years we'd have been on the slide, perhaps even harder.

That's why I went 2019. It's us on the up, rather than the last throw of the dice of a once great club. 2019 was a reward for playing the kids, trusting our be good to one another and nasty to the opposition approach, and always build for the future whilst staying humble mindset.

Nothing beats a GF win! Eat your inept brown paper bagged hearts out Carlscum! :thumbsu: :p:thumbsu:

Carlton are where we were 25 years ago. And perhaps are about to dig in deeper. I hoep so. I feel some sympathy for them. But I get more pleasure from their pain that anything.

I wasn't exactly around so I can't be a proper judge
But from the stories I hear, I feel like it wasn't really a matter of 'if' s**t hit the fan, it was 'when'. It was the same ruthless policy that got us 5 flags, that ended up nearly destroying us. Eventually something was always going to happen that triggered it all.

Yeah but what happened to the Carlton supporting girl?!?!?
Remember that I was in my early twenties, but - I only took up her offer to go to her place as it seemed I was on an easy sure thing (like I hoped the Tiges were) however I wasn't really that into her. We remained occasional drinking buddies (work drinks) but shortly after that GF I started seeing another girl for a while. I don't think anything happened between her and the bloke who was into her - but who cares; they both went for the blooze. I hope they, and other blooze fans, have been enjoying the last decade or so of footy. I know I have.

Agree. In 1982, Carlton were a far better team than us - they did what we did last year - got into good form in the latter half of the year and ran that to a flag (I know we got them in the 2nd semi, but that just gave Carlton a look at us, and they changed a few things around for the GF. Hate to say it, but Parkin was a better coach than St Francis).

1972 - we were far and away the better team. We were hot favourites - rightly. Carlton went for the desperation 'make some moves and hope they come off'. They did, plus they kicked goals out of their arse all game - they couldn't miss. They could not stop us scoring (we still kicked 22 goals), but the whole game was played on their terms - which meant not the way we wanted it. It was basically a flat-out sprint from the start.

1982 - we got done by a better team.
1972 - we got done because we got sucked into playing their game.
Not sure they were a better team ...
Malthouse plays I recon we win ..
He was the general down back ...the back 6 were lost without him ... those little Carlton foward shits were s**t scared of him ....

As we know he become a great coach ... he was the same in our backline ... I’m go to my grave believing that .... HE PLAYS WE WIN 😂

but that was a long time ago ..much happier with more recent memories

This is a question for the older Tiger supporters who lived through the 1982 Grand Final loss. If you could trade in the 2019 victory for a victory in 1982? (2017 is obviously off the table) would you do it? I still haven't ever watched a replay of 1982 and I think what made waiting for 2017 so much worse was the fact that we threw away our last premiership opportunity. I remember I think Maurice Rioli once musing that even after so many years he still didn't quite know how we lost it. I think if we win another premiership this year or next I might be able to make myself watch 1982 again, but having said that, would you do it? (And yeah having asked a question like this who'd want to be Collingwood supporter!)
Who the $&#* are you calling old you &+%¥@ ÷¢#© !!! Cheeky ®£×$@!!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back