Tigers - 2017 Premiers

Possession Football BTFO.

Richmond utilizing an ultra speedy mobile forward line with 1 tall. More numbers at the contest EVERYWHERE on the field. Adelaide's abundance of talls have been rendered useless today.

yep

simple hard work around the ground, leg speed and the willingness to get to contests and then spread was the difference

Apr 18, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Six decades of domination
But but but i thought ross lyon game plans dont win premierships BF ??,especially against free wheeling high scoring teams!

Richmond had forwards who played as defenders.

Lyon had defenders who played as forwards.

fnerd

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 23, 2009
Castilly rock
AFL Club
Fremantle
Richmond had forwards who played as defenders.

Lyon had defenders who played as forwards.
Thats actually not a bad assessment, agree ross hasnt quite got the balance quite right yet but you cant deny the bullies and most definitely the tiges now,that their gameplan hasn't been based on lyon 's football fundamentals

Walter H White

All Australian
Nov 22, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Liverpool
I’m happy Richmond won, but I’m not happy the defensive team beat the more attacking team.

Just encourages the Lyons of the world to double down on their awful style of footy.

But anyway, good on Richmond. They brought the correct attitude and were better coached.

I think Richmond do a bit of both. Freo and St. Kilda under Ross much worse too watch. Roos' Sydney team too. Hawks and Geelong both attacking teams: won 7 of the last 11 flags. Think attacking teams have the runs on the board.

Walter H White

All Australian
Nov 22, 2014
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Liverpool
I’m happy Richmond won, but I’m not happy the defensive team beat the more attacking team.

Just encourages the Lyons of the world to double down on their awful style of footy.

But anyway, good on Richmond. They brought the correct attitude and were better coached.

Although, after the qualifying final I'd have probably agreed. We deserved to lose, make no mistake, but was a terrible game to watch as a spectacle. Tigers pressure was too good. Made for ugly football from both teams. Thought today's game was better quality but Adelaide couldn't hack it under extreme pressure. I'm starting to think fitness and defensive pressure is more of a problem for the aesthetic of the game than pure defensive mindedness.

Farm Boy

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 6, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
congrats shows you how a guy like Hardwick who looked gone and done can turn it around and lead them to a flag

Richmond drafted well. Quality picks in Martin and Cotchin. Those are top level players. But that will only get a side so far. I think Richmond finally identified their weaknesses - and targeted players to strengthen them. Prestia, Caddy and Nankervis. Those 3 guys were the final pieces of the puzzle. When push come to shove those guys stepped up as well.

Thats Wright

Premiership Player
Jan 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Tigers are strangely really rubbish to watch.

Hopefully this kind of piss ant attack of the ball doesn't continue.

Better than the filthy cheat Pies flag though.

King Brown

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Although, after the qualifying final I'd have probably agreed. We deserved to lose, make no mistake, but was a terrible game to watch as a spectacle. Tigers pressure was too good. Made for ugly football from both teams. Thought today's game was better quality but Adelaide couldn't hack it under extreme pressure. I'm starting to think fitness and defensive pressure is more of a problem for the aesthetic of the game than pure defensive mindedness.
I thought every final Richmond played in was a bit of a dirge for at least the first halves. Richmond were coached far smarter than their opponents but I wouldn’t say there was much aesthetically pleasing in how those games went until very late in the game.

Adelaide play a far better looking game style, but I guess unlike the great Geelong and Hawthorn sides of recent times, they’re not able to adjust and get brutal with the best pressure teams.

Aug 19, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Montreal Canadiens, Golden State
Honestly, there have been many times when I thought I'd never ever see this day.

47 years a fan, last 10 a member. Last flag when I was 16 years old.

Still in shock I must admit...but an awesome feeling.

Well done to players, staff, and especially all us long suffering fans.

So, so proud.

Thats Wright

Premiership Player
Jan 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I really don't know. Has this diluted what it means to win a flag.

This plus brad Scott and I really have given up on hope.

Mr Mediocracy

All Australian
Jun 25, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Good on them. On the brink not so long ago and have battled. As I said only days ago they have bought the bit players they need and now they're lifting the Premiership cup.

The Tigers supporters should be proud.

BBC1967

Cancelled
Aug 9, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Love some of the melts here already - give away the Richmondy ( yes you Gerard Wheatley)the ninth, the Tiges are crap posters.
We won - and nobody tipped this.We play hard pressurised football with pace to burn.It is fantastic to watch. If you don't like it go watch a non contact sport. Congratulations to all Tiges players and supporters - all the others well let's see what your team can do next year!

Back