MRP / Trib. Tigers appealing 2 staging charges

Remove this Banner Ad

May 17, 2004
Punt Rd ‘17? ‘19?
AFL Club
Richmond
I’m really pleased about this as they were as knee jerk misguided decisions you could possibly see

Vlastuin especially so to be coathangered by an oppo 6”6 and not be expected to flinch while running at speed, FMD ,,,you flinch when riding your bike and a gum leaf whips your face
If grimesy says he was shoved off balance I believe him, it was clear that arm out stretched vertically was a last ditch attempt to spoil incoming ball

Last edited:

The AFL has already written our argument for us: "the image shows Hurley throw his head back and immediately clutch for his throat. It has to be acknowledged he quickly looks for whether the umpire has seen this ... the immediate response was genuine and spontaneous. And if there was no contact to his throat at all, as Mr Lynch suggests, it was a somewhat miraculous piece of quick thinking to clutch at the very area it sure looked like contact was made to. He had to, in a millisecond, this would look to somebody as if this was a blow to his throat ... that is, you might think, rather unlikely."

Very happy with this. Vlastuins is a joke and I hope that we are able to use past examples as an argument. First bloke to get fined when a correct 50m penalty was given.
The amount of challenges this week is a reflection that clubs believe the mrp have no system and make decisions that change week to week.

I’m really pleased about this as they were as knee jerk misguided decisions you could possibly see

Vlastuin especially so to be coathangered by an oppo 6”6 and not be expected to flinch while running at speed, FMD ,,,you flinch when riding your bike and a bum leaf whips your face
If grimesy says he was shoved off balance I believe him, it was clear that arm out stretched vertically was a last ditch attempt to spoil incoming ball

Very pleased to hear this. And while the AFL is sacking people, throw Christian to the lions. The Grimes one was tough to tell from the footage so unless he had something better than we saw he is just guessing. The Vlastuin fine is a disgrace. It was a 50m penalty every day of the week, so anything done to “fool” umpires is irrelevant anyway, but as has been stated here, any player is going to flinch in that scenario.

You would have to think both appeals will succeed.

Is there a definition for staging?

Would like to know what we are up against.

Vlaustin's will be thrown out quicker than Lynch's. As mentioned above, to not react when collected at speed, high, when not expecting it. Seriously. The guy should be applauded for his brave mark, running back with the flight into no mans land.

Grimes not so clear. Would argue that it's easy to fly forward when you already have momentum and get a push. Vision not great and expect he put some mayo on it.

Can we use video evidence of actions that have been waved thru in the past? Dangerflop would be a great help, that one in the prelim...

Thank god we are standing up for ourselves here.

Like i said said in another thread

Grimes was in the perfect position to spoil the ball
He got a push
Hes running at full pelt
And if you watch the vision he trips over Vlaustin's feet at the end

And the Vlaustin one well * me bloke copped a fist to the jaw like others said the afl council wrote our argument for us, it will be fun though watching him contradict hiss own argument from the lynch case.

I am stoked about this. Two reasons -
1 - they have been hung out to dry by the AFL and the media. We should be challenging these decisions. Pure frenzy media BS. And the decision would of justified every troll who threatened and abused our players (in their minds).
2 - We get another Lynch type thread like we had last night. Delicious.

giphy-2.gif

giphy-1.gif

1-1.gif

Very happy with this. Vlastuins is a joke and I hope that we are able to use past examples as an argument. First bloke to get fined when a correct 50m penalty was given.
The amount of challenges this week is a reflection that clubs believe the mrp have no system and make decisions that change week to week.
The Vlas decision both undermines the umpires decision to award a 50m penalty for LATE and HIGH contact and serves to legitimise a coat hanger as a reasonable act to spoil
Certainly looks high to me
0A426D43-84A5-46FC-BBCF-61EAD7564749.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Vlas decision both undermines the umpires decision to award a 50m penalty for LATE and HIGH contact and serves to legitimise a coat hanger as a reasonable act to spoil
View attachment 944759

The AFL want to protect the players head at all times :drunk:

The "potential to cause injury" here with an out swung arm at pace giving high contact is far more realistic than what Dusty did to the bore or Lynch did to hurley

Vlaustin's will be thrown out quicker than Lynch's. As mentioned above, to not react when collected at speed, high, when not expecting it. Seriously. The guy should be applauded for his brave mark, running back with the flight into no mans land.

Grimes not so clear. Would argue that it's easy to fly forward when you already have momentum and get a push. Vision not great and expect he put some mayo on it.

Can we use video evidence of actions that have been waved thru in the past? Dangerflop would be a great help, that one in the prelim...
When staging was first brought in as an AFL rule Christian defined it as being exaggerating impact in order to influence an umpires decision. In Grimes situation either he was pushed or he wasn't, a free for a push according to AFL rules is not given by the amount of force but the act of pushing illegally.

Therefore if the umpire is doing his job correctly then he should have noted the push and regardeless of whether he did a triple somersault and landed in the handstand position after the push the underlying fact is that the free should be paid regardless. If vision shows no push at all then he has a case to answer.

As usual the AFL has stuffed this up after taking the lead from soccer, they call it simulation. If a player simulates a trip they check for contact, if no contact then they are deemed guilty. I can't see why the umpire can't be asked whether he saw a push prior to Grimes falling forward, if he states he only went on the action of Grimes following the incident and footage isn't conclusive then in my book the pushed player gets the benefit of any doubt.

Clear bias against by the MRO, if Hurley doesn't get fined for staging how do either of Vlas or Grimes? Because Richmond is why.

Current MRO is not capable of adjudicating objectively needs to be moved on.

The one where there was a tiny contact to his shoulder, on the side?

After he kicked the goal he went to Dusty was a sh*t eating grin and told him all about it. Yeah play that one to them to show them real staging.

View attachment 944759
You couldn’t possibly be human when running at pace, and receiving above contact and not flinch
Yeah this one in particular was crap.
I'm happy if the discussion was about the merits of the 50 meters, I don't believe it was deliberate and obviously did not really harm Vlastuin but such unexpected contact would certainly have made him react that way.
That they chose to call it staging and hit him up with a fine is just plain wrong.

Grimes - I reckon he did get a push but it looks like he made sure the ump spotted it IMO - the fact he then stumbled over Vlastuin's foot makes it look worse.
Sadly Dylan has a little form....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back