News Tigers' Astbury finds purpose in isolation

Remove this Banner Ad

Only 130 games.
Feels like he's been at the club with over 300.lol
He just could not get onto the field those first few years, gotta admit I didn't think he'd make it, too slow, too broken.

Glad to be proven very wrong as I now think he's our most underrated and important player.

He just could not get onto the field those first few years, gotta admit I didn't think he'd make it, too slow, too broken.

Glad to be proven very wrong as I now think he's our most underrated and important player.
There's a few underrated in our side.😉🏆

We need to talk about Astbury. He’s been the side for 2 weeks and our backline has looked slow (plus taken Baltas job)

He is a defender, and calls for it in the back pocket for kick ins. His main function is stop slow moving forwards.

Its controversial, but if there is no obvious match up for him, we can go to another runner in Markov or Broad for smaller quicker types instead.

We need to talk about Astbury. He’s been the side for 2 weeks and our backline has looked slow (plus taken Baltas job)

He is a defender, and calls for it in the back pocket for kick ins. His main function is stop slow moving forwards.

Its controversial, but if there is no obvious match up for him, we can go to another runner in Markov or Broad for smaller quicker types instead.

I think he is playing well Astbury. His run down tackle of Coleman was such a brilliant piece of footy. If there is a problem it is that it leaves us under-utilising the astounding talents of N Balta.

The decision making around this stuff gets really tricky at this time of year. You could argue with the formation we played, you add Lynch, tighten up the disciplines, get the extra game into the players who missed loads of footy, Nankervis, Atbury, Houli, Edwards, Prestia, that the improvement from these areas gets us right back to the cutting edge.

Or you could say the dynamic around the backline is not completely right, and the second ruck in Chol is struggling, and you could potentially deal with both issues by inserting Broad/Markov, releasing Balta to second ruck/third tall forward duties, and leaving Chol in the hotel.

You get one go at these decisions. The first thing we need to decide though is do we need to take the punt of altering Balta’s role or not?

Sort of broad choices:

1. Minimal change, same backline.

In Lynch
out Chol

In this scenario you have no obvious second ruck and would have to improvise

2. More disruptive, more risk, possible better balance

In Lynch & Broad/Markov.

Out Chol and some unlucky player, Aarts?

Move Balta to second ruck/third tall forward, very risky, potentially very rewarding.

3. Top Heavy, overkill the key positions, stretch the opposition

In Lynch
Out Aarts?

In this scenario you release Chol into a much better role as 3rd tall forward and second ruck, both him and Nankervis can be kept much fresher, which should tell as the match progresses. Both are really good kicks so capable of doing damage. We lose one of our mighty short people but can possibly use Edwards and Graham to fill the breach there.

It is not absolutely clear to me the best way to go in all this. But that first assessment is the key one for mine. Do we need to risk some disruption to try to get an extras edge?

I think he is playing well Astbury. His run down tackle of Coleman was such a brilliant piece of footy. If there is a problem it is that it leaves us under-utilising the astounding talents of N Balta.

The decision making around this stuff gets really tricky at this time of year. You could argue with the formation we played, you add Lynch, tighten up the disciplines, get the extra game into the players who missed loads of footy, Nankervis, Atbury, Houli, Edwards, Prestia, that the improvement from these areas gets us right back to the cutting edge.

Or you could say the dynamic around the backline is not completely right, and the second ruck in Chol is struggling, and you could potentially deal with both issues by inserting Broad/Markov, releasing Balta to second ruck/third tall forward duties, and leaving Chol in the hotel.

You get one go at these decisions. The first thing we need to decide though is do we need to take the punt of altering Balta’s role or not?

Sort of broad choices:

1. Minimal change, same backline.

In Lynch
out Chol

In this scenario you have no obvious second ruck and would have to improvise

2. More disruptive, more risk, possible better balance

In Lynch & Broad/Markov.

Out Chol and some unlucky player, Aarts?

Move Balta to second ruck/third tall forward, very risky, potentially very rewarding.

3. Top Heavy, overkill the key positions, stretch the opposition

In Lynch
Out Aarts?

In this scenario you release Chol into a much better role as 3rd tall forward and second ruck, both him and Nankervis can be kept much fresher, which should tell as the match progresses. Both are really good kicks so capable of doing damage. We lose one of our mighty short people but can possibly use Edwards and Graham to fill the breach there.

It is not absolutely clear to me the best way to go in all this. But that first assessment is the key one for mine. Do we need to risk some disruption to try to get an extras edge?

To be honest our team looked much better midseason without him and quicker. When we played saints first time astbury was in and boy did we look slow.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back