Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2007
Punt road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa,A-league
Saints were good last year.

About the furtherest thing from a Richmond man is Parker. Genuine tosser, our boys will be quick to pick up on it and happy to see the end of him much like they couldn't stand Higgins. More likely to give the boys something to gel over than gel with.

You really think the club wouldn't do it's due diligence ?.Alot was said about Pickett to.I'll back our recruitment team 110%.

Stealth69

Debutant
Apr 14, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
The lad can play

Happy with this pick, an experienced player.
He'll bring some life to our club, just like Pickett did. It's not just his experience but his presence, We'll see that excitement come back into our group and having that extra spark about will lift the team

Very good move in many ways 👍👍👍

db26

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2007
Punt road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa,A-league
Bigdeal what saints think of him ? like there supporter said look at the guy they let go to the dons shows poor development.

Fits a need we haven't got a medium tall forward bit of flair take a grab , speed and pressure kicks goals can see him on the wing or in the guts to.Will be hungry to prove himself.

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Agreed.

Frustrating part on my end is 24 hrs ago Stack and MJR were the rage and we couldn't wait to get them into the team. Now a bloke who has been delisted is all of sudden a far better option than someone like Castagna on the basis they watched his first 3 games where he looked talented but was quickly found out by defenders and didn't fire a shot for the rest of his career. I also don't like the way he plays but no one wants to have that conversation.

For all I know the club may rate his potential as wingman and in that case Im than willing to give him and the club a chance, but Im allowed to form my own judgements on the basis we want him playing forward without being met with back the club, it can do no wrong. You used to be able to debate on this forum but now its case of if don't like a player or would prefer another the only debate to be had is the club knows best. Its getting very boring.

The thing is it is just following reason isn’t it?

I mean just look at what the club has picked up with throwaway draft picks(value = 50 or lower in the National Draft) since 2014:

2014 - Drummond Butler McKenzie Short Castagna Lambert Soldo

2015 - Markov Broad, Callum Moore, Chol Marcon

2016 - Graham Garthwaite Stengle

2017 - Miller Baker

2018 - Turner English Aarts

2019 - Stack Pickett Nyuon

2020 - Rioli Jnr

2021 - Parker

24 picks over 7 years before we took Parker.

Premiership players, loads of those multiple flag players.

2 Markov, Butler holding down regular spots at other clubs.

3 Chol, Aarts, Stack have played useful AFL football for the club, and appear to have plenty yet to give.

4 Miller, Garthwaite, Nyuon, Rioli Jnr yet to be determined but there is promise in this group.

1 Stengle held down a spot for Adelaide for a season before being delisted for behavioural issues outside football.

5 Drummond(cut down by injuries after looking promising) McKenzie, Marcon, Turner, English failed to make any real impression.

This is an astonishingly good record of finding quality AFL footballers with throwaway picks.

So is it any wonder that when the club makes a pick and you(or anyone else) opposes the pick that posters here would go with the club over you?

I have to admit, when Parker’s name was read out my reaction was not printable. But on reflection, considering all that has come to light on this thread, I can see that my impression wasn’t right and simply because the club has selected Parker, given their record above, he is more likely than not to be useful at the very least.

Edit: Just for comparison, I reckon we could say about 15 of our 24 picks above have made a decent impression in the AFL so far. I picked Port Adelaide at random and their corresponding figure is about 8 of their last 32 throw away picks have made a decent impression at AFL level so far. So if we were all Port supporters we would be happily debating every one of these picks the club took. But you give credibility to where it belongs, and the recruiting and list management staff at the RFC have earned every bit of faith we can show in them.

Further edit: Blues have come up with about 5 from 29 who have been taken 50 in the ND or below since 2014 and who have made a decent impression at AFl so far. And that is being generous. Even the Cats being generous have maybe had 11 from 29 who have made some sort of impression at AFL level so far, but I am counting players like Zac Guthrie who is a dead set spud.

Last edited:

YeOldTiger

67-69-73-74-80-17-19-20
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers, Glenelg Tigers
South Fremantle would have welcomed him back based on talent first and foremost (don't rate him at AFL level but clearly a very good state league player), because that is how football clubs operate. Also only a slight difference in how much time you spend around your team mates at state level vs AFL level. Comparing apples to oranges really but even then many clubs have players who don't get along or fractions within a group. My view of him as a person extends to football field as well. Hard to trust hot heads like him and from my view point his talent isn't worth the hassle.
Lol. Spend a lot of time at Sth Freo do you ?

He's a hot head is he ?

Charlie Pannam

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Potentially a very smart selection who could add another layer to our forwardline
At 6’2 and lightning quick could be used deep forward using his speed and athleticism as a lead up forward
Or
In our more traditional role a small/ medium forward who can provide manic defensive pressure. A taller version of George
Hard part for him now is building a case for AFL action (like Marlion did) with out any VFL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 14, 2012
Goldfingers
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Anything involving CROATIA & M.City
South Fremantle would have welcomed him back based on talent first and foremost (don't rate him at AFL level but clearly a very good state league player), because that is how football clubs operate. Also only a slight difference in how much time you spend around your team mates at state level vs AFL level. Comparing apples to oranges really but even then many clubs have players who don't get along or fractions within a group. My view of him as a person extends to football field as well. Hard to trust hot heads like him and from my view point his talent isn't worth the hassle.
No one's telling you stop posting. Just like you have every right to not agree with us we have the same right to not agree with you.

I could be wrong but that's how a debate works is not?

Ancient Tiger

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Sep 18, 2007
Richmond
AFL Club
Richmond
Unfortunately, you have put yourself in a lose - lose situation. If he doesn't succeed, we will all say he was the last on the list and he was a bit of a punt and so who cares. If he does succeed, you will look like a tool for forming opinions from others and from the scanty amount you'd see him play. Anyway, I personally hope he succeeds because he is now a Richmond Football Club player and because of that, has my full support. Go MP!

Oct 14, 2012
Goldfingers
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Anything involving CROATIA & M.City
More importantly are we the only club that picked someone that is actually likely to play this season..

Imagine we picked a young developing ruckmen that's still in year 12.

Not what the Mid Season draft is designed to do.

Maylandsman

🐯EAT ‘EM ALIVE🐯
Oct 22, 2017
By the Seaside
AFL Club
Richmond
South Fremantle would have welcomed him back based on talent first and foremost (don't rate him at AFL level but clearly a very good state league player), because that is how football clubs operate.
Not sure where you get your viewpoint from but you should read this;

Matthew Parker is another to return to South Fremantle in 2021 after his time in the AFL. He played 19 games at St Kilda the past two years, but has returned to the Bulldogs, has been voted into the leadership group and Curley can't wait to see what he is capable of.

"He has been fantastic from the moment he walked back in really. We kept a really close link of communication with him when he was away and that's just the type of kid he is," Curley said.

"He loves playing at Souths, he obviously has his own little family now and he has trained really hard and come back definitely a better player. He has certainly grown as a person as well and he has been voted in as one of our leaders so that's a pretty good effort after just the one summer back."

That’s from the South Freo coach on their web page March this year - https://www.sffc.com.au/news/20175/bulldogs-2021-squad-coming-together-nicely

Are you sure you have the right ‘hot head’?

Ancient Tiger

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Sep 18, 2007
Richmond
AFL Club
Richmond
Not sure where you get your viewpoint from but you should read this;

Matthew Parker is another to return to South Fremantle in 2021 after his time in the AFL. He played 19 games at St Kilda the past two years, but has returned to the Bulldogs, has been voted into the leadership group and Curley can't wait to see what he is capable of.

"He has been fantastic from the moment he walked back in really. We kept a really close link of communication with him when he was away and that's just the type of kid he is," Curley said.

"He loves playing at Souths, he obviously has his own little family now and he has trained really hard and come back definitely a better player. He has certainly grown as a person as well and he has been voted in as one of our leaders so that's a pretty good effort after just the one summer back."

That’s from the South Freo coach on their web page March this year - https://www.sffc.com.au/news/20175/bulldogs-2021-squad-coming-together-nicely

Are you sure you have the right ‘hot head’?
I think this poster has made their opinion known and will not back down no matter how many facts they are presented with. They still trust the view of a St Kilda contact and the few games they watched on TV. The club's entire recruiting department who I am very familiar with, which looks at several opinions and has data on every player that would blow your mind, doesn't obviously stack up for them.....

Oct 27, 2014
M15
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Bucks
Fk me this bloke is a goer.

Can't wait til Parker, Lynch and Caddy trot out against the Bears or Dees.

TAB should run a first-suspended market, a la first goal-scorer.

Christ. Sydney had a no dickheads policy. Gonna be hard to find anymore because they'll all be in yellow and black. With premiership medallions.

Onya MP. Good luck.

Ancient Tiger

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Sep 18, 2007
Richmond
AFL Club
Richmond
1622642141371.png

It's almost like we are collecting guys to make the sequel to this movie! Great stuff!

Back