Scandal Tigers duo in nightclub brawl

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond didn't say he made the situation worse, which he obviously did.

Open your other eye dickhead.
Good Lord! 'Made the situation worse' is an opinion. Did he actually make the situation worse or was it just the potential to make it worse? Hanging your hat on what the AFL says is a bit much, particularly when they aren't exactly the bastion of all that's good and moral. It's convenient for the AFL to choose that path, nothing more.

Don’t think he was “trying to be a hero” I think he was defending a mate. Look different people have different moral compasses. It is safer to watch on and let a friend get assaulted no doubt, good to know where people stand.

The reason why it is a crime is it leads to mass brawls. Bolton jumping in could have had the mates of the dude who started it jump in and suddenly it's a brawl.

A fine is really all it needed, if he wants big money he will live and learn to not do it again.

Geez, you’ve read a lot into today’s announcement. If only De Goey’s victim was so compliant.

you mean the statement that said Bolton was at fault? Yeah... didn’t really need to read between the lines there. It’s a bit sad you still refuse to admit any fault though.

At least all Clubs have their future playbook now.

Player gets into nightclub fight
Club says "We believe the player. They were assaulted and defending themselves/defending a friend of a friend's Girlfriend"

AFL does investigation.

AFL finds player caused situation to get worse and assaulted someone they shouldn't have. Large fined given

Player says "Oh yeah, sorry, that's what actually happened. I did assault that person. My bad"

Club has a good giggle as their star payer doesn't cop any suspension
There is no difference between the players/club's version of events and the league's
In the league's opinion it was worthy of a fine, in the club's opinion it wasn't.

This happens pretty much weekly in the AFL - it's called the tribunal.

There is no difference between the players/club's version of events and the league's
In the league's opinion it was worthy of a fine, in the club's opinion it wasn't.

This happens pretty much weekly in the AFL - it's called the tribunal.

so, summing up,
Richmond applauded Bolton for his unnecessary violence
The AFL said it was not necessary and gave him a whacking big fine

so, summing up,
Richmond applauded Bolton for his unnecessary violence
The AFL said it was not necessary and gave him a whacking big fine
You will find Gale and McLachlan's statements on the matter to be incredibly similar. Which is understandable. As the CEO of their respective organisations they are in with the sponsor's demands - you have to toe the PC line, sponsors don't care about the human element. Hardwick backed his players in public which has always been his way.
The club chose to treat it as a growth opportunity and chose not to punish a player who was already facing weeks off - that probably sent enough of a message to not get into fights at clubs. The league did not. That's the difference.

you mean the statement that said Bolton was at fault? Yeah... didn’t really need to read between the lines there. It’s a bit sad you still refuse to admit any fault though.
Did you actually read the statement? Nowhere apart from the headline does it say Bolton is at fault. Here have a look...

The reason why it is a crime is it leads to mass brawls. Bolton jumping in could have had the mates of the dude who started it jump in and suddenly it's a brawl.

A fine is really all it needed, if he wants big money he will live and learn to not do it again.

You know defence of others is a valid defence and is not a crime right

Did you actually read the statement? Nowhere apart from the headline does it say Bolton is at fault. Here have a look...

"The AFL said Bolton had acknowledged he should have "chosen to de-escalate the situation rather than become involved.""

How does one de-escalate a situation without becoming involved?

THIS IS A BLOOOODY OUTRAGE

Richmond have no choice now but to trade Shai Bolton at seasons end.

So uh... I'll start the bidding at a future 2nd rounder? How about this seasons 2nd and next seasons?...
we will only consider trading with Collingwood involving JDG as we would prefer a player with stronger assault credentials

(Log in to remove this ad.)

my god you are getting desperate. So he’s not at fault even though the investigation found he was and fined him and Richmond 20k? Right...
It’s a whitewash. The AFL have to be seen to be doing something.

Do you think the investigation had more or less credibility than the investigation that resulted in the Do Better report that found Collingwood to be a racist club?

"The AFL said Bolton had acknowledged he should have "chosen to de-escalate the situation rather than become involved.""

How does one de-escalate a situation without becoming involved?

You can de-escalate by separating them, getting security when you have etc. Now I don't expect a young guy with booze to think that far ahead but its' a good example to set for people out there.

Again fine is fair, he learns and moves on.

Everyone including the bouncers and police know what happened, so what's happened to the guy that harassed Rioli's girlfriend and belted Rioli? Nothing! So much for reporting it to bouncers and police.

And yet the police didn't charge the person that punched Rioli, so they must not have been doing the wrong thing either?

Or maybe he's not an Afl player so no one cares

This nightclub brawl is the stuff that AFL legends are made of.
Bound to be relived in years to come by Rioli and Bolton on "The Front Bar".

Storyline as reported:
Rioli to anonymous patron: "Watch what you say to my babe or I'll give you a slap"
Smack ..... Riolli hits the floor.
Bolton steams in to sort things out ..... slips and breaks his wrist.
Bouncers chuck the tiger boys outside where they spend the next half hour whining like bitches to be let back in.
Later the AFL fines Bolton $20,000 for failing to fly the flag.

Stand aside Plugger Lockett and Barry Hall!

Or maybe he's not an Afl player so no one cares
Oh right, now I get it, Rioli and Bolton not getting charged proves they didn't do anything wrong, whereas the person who apparently assaulted one of them not getting charged proves that they aren't an AFL player.

It's all so obvious I really don't know how I didn't work it out myself.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back