Tigers have found the body shape for the modern game

Remove this Banner Ad

The modern game is made up of congestion and goals are mainly scored by running in numbers from congestion on the fast break.

You need players that are stocky (do well in congestion) and hard running (fast break). Get as many as 18 of them in your team.

GWS are building a similar profile. Brisbane are. Collingwood. Geelong have something similar. St Kilda. WB.

If you have enough of them in your team, they don't need a high level of skill.
i have to disagree with this. Imo we have only 5 or 6 players on our entire list that you would describe as stocky. The vast majority represent exactly what other clubs have in terms of size or in this case stockyness.

Imo only Prestia 175/82, Martin 187/92, Ross 187/87 Balta 194/100 caddy 186/87 and possibly graham 181/82 could be described as stocky imo.

I have said this lots of times, if people want to measure what is the norm for player weight or size, then you only need look at the last two digits of a players height, then you will have his weight within a few kg the vast majority of times. Ie player A is 190cm and weighs 90kg give or take a few kg.It applies to the vast majority of players at every club.

Imo and i agree with a lot of posters, we play a lot of smalls. Look at rnd 1 we had 10 they were
Short 178/76, Baker 173/72, Graham 181/82, Bolton 175/77, Edwards 182/80, Castagna 181/82, Lambert 178/77, rioli 179/76, stack 179/72, Prestia 175/82.
Right atm not many of them are B grade or better some may become so in time. Apart from a few i dont think they are any quicker than most other players but they all run hard.

We play so many smalls for one reason atm and again this is just my opinion.It is way better to play a small who can offer something or perform a role reasonably well than play a taller player who will offer very little. and will struggle to perform a role.

Again just my opinion we are by no means the most skilled side going around and i also believe we are undersized as well. For me these are just two areas where there is a lot of room for improvement. I also think the club is looking into this and quietly going about fixing this or balancing the side out a bit more. We are the premiers and to think there is much more we can do to improve is a positive imo.
The simple fact is we play a system that suits the personell we have, as the personel change and their strengths so will the system.

I agree with a lot of oppo supporters here, we arent a team full of champions and we may not have as many top liners as teams in the past. But in many ways we epitomise what a champion team is, heavily reliant on the systems we have in place and players performing their roles along with everyone on the same page and playing for each other at all times.

For the last three yrs nearly all clubs have struggled to counter this and i cant see us changing it until we start losing more than we win.

Last edited:
I'd like to see how good Richmond would be without an AA key forward target (they now have two) and two Brownlow winning midfielders. Less concerned about the defenders because of the way they play in the centre and forward half. Said it last year that if they could get Riewoldt and Cotchin back and keep Martin fit they'd come good without Rance. Their defence is overrated anyway, they concede scores quickly when they don't have pressure up the ground (see Rich vs WC from Rd 22, close game and they probably controlled the momentum 60/40 or more but we scored freely when we did).

Sure they have a good system that is working currently but no one gave a s**t about Richmond until the 2017 finals, and down a couple of key players last year they weren't even in the 8 at Rd 14. People need to cool their jets a bit. You can't just have a team of Dion Prestias and dominate, that's not how footy works.

I would like to see how any team goes without their best players....

i have to disagree with this. Imo we have only 5 or 6 players on our entire list that you would describe as stocky. The vast majority represent exactly what other clubs have in terms of size or in this case stockyness.

Imo only Prestia 175/82, Martin 187/92, Ross 187/87 Balta 194/100 caddy 186/87 and possibly graham 181/82 could be described as stocky imo.

I have said this lots of times, if people want to measure what is the norm for player weight or size, then you only need look at the last two digits of a players height, then you will have his weight within a few kg the vast majority of times. Ie player A is 190cm and weighs 90kg give or take a few kg.It applies to the vast majority of players at every club.

Imo and i agree with a lot of posters, we play a lot of smalls. Look at rnd 1 we had 10 they were
Short 178/76, Baker 173/72, Graham 181/82, Bolton 175/77, Edwards 182/80, Castagna 181/82, Lambert 178/77, rioli 179/76, stack 179/72, Prestia 175/82.
Right atm not many of them are B grade or better some may become so in time. Apart from a few i dont think they are any quicker than most other players but they all run hard.

We play so many smalls for one reason atm and again this is just my opinion.It is way better to play a small who can offer something or perform a role reasonably well than play a taller player who will offer very little. and will struggle to perform a role.

Again just my opinion we are by no means the most skilled side going around and i also believe we are undersized as well. For me these are just two areas where there is a lot of room for improvement. I also think the club is looking into this and quietly going about fixing this or balancing the side out a bit more. We are the premiers and to think there is much more we can do to improve is a positive imo.
The simple fact is we play a system that suits the personell we have, as the personel change and their strengths so will the system.

I agree with a lot of oppo supporters here, we arent a team full of champions and we may not have as many top liners as teams in the past. But in many ways we epitomise what a champion team is, heavily reliant on the systems we have in place and players performing their roles along with everyone on the same page and playing for each other at all times.

For the last three yrs nearly all clubs have struggled to counter this and i cant see us changing it until we start losing more than we win.
jed.gif

I don't understand, the Tigers have a mix of body shapes, big mids, smaller mids, skinny fast mids, short mids, taller mids. We have a monster KPF, a taller, slimmer, and some small quick players.

Our defence is a mix too, with our best KPD being undersized, and our tallest is not that tall at 195.

There's no consistent pattern in body size I see when I assess our 22.
there is one type we have an inordinate number of. Sml players 182cm or under.

Mods doing a great job as usual stopping grown men from fighting like 6 year olds.

They were also pretty dominant in West Coast's Bradbury year.
You were beaten convingsly, and the team that beat you we had to fly to Melbourne to beat and come back from 5 goals down.

You're an idiot.
Face it you were lucky premiers
You're extremely sensitive.
perhaps I cut a little close to the bone.
You personal insult adds reason and gravitas to your argument :thumbsu:

However, arguing that Richmond fell just before the final hurdle and then that Collingwood stopped, allowing West Coast to overtake them, is hardly a counter argument to the Bradbury suggestion.
Keep digging that hole. LOL Pathetic. Convincing....
West Coast supporter insecurity. What a freaking surprise
Another Richmond troll? Jesus, It never ends man.
Except that you bought up Richmond in the first place, you Eagle supporters really are obsessed with Richmond aren't you
It's a thread about Richmond you fool.
And the obsessed Eagle supporter couldn't help but post in it and cries when Richmond supporters reply
You replyed attacking west coast, in a thread about Richmond :think:
Because as I said West Coast 2018 were lucky premiers

The best intercept marking KPD in the game (McGovern) has the body of a beaten, waterlogged mattress.
The beauty of AFL is that multiple different body types can still have an impact.
He has no body shape, he's just a blob.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let me assure you, nobody else gives a f*** about your premierships.

We are all footy fans and have the best interests of the game at heart, such as seeing attractive play. That is all.
Each to their own.
I find our style encompasses all the attributes of football, we tackle hard apply pressure, then break away with swift handball and then deliver by foot to two of the games best marking forwards, with accurate kicking from our more skilled players.

The Richmond pressure then all out attack style is a breath of fresh air in a game that had become all about backwards chip kicking and ridiculously high possession stats.

As always over time new styles will evolve.

Last edited:
Mods doing a great job as usual stopping grown men from fighting like 6 year olds.
Yep the dick measuring never stops.It shows a real lack of maturity when some posters cant sit down and have a reasonable balanced debate look at both sides of a debate and acknowledge the good as well as the bad without resorting to the old my club is better than yours , your players are duds , you were lucky to win a flag etc etc etc.

I'd like to see how good Richmond would be without an AA key forward target (they now have two) and two Brownlow winning midfielders. Less concerned about the defenders because of the way they play in the centre and forward half. Said it last year that if they could get Riewoldt and Cotchin back and keep Martin fit they'd come good without Rance. Their defence is overrated anyway, they concede scores quickly when they don't have pressure up the ground (see Rich vs WC from Rd 22, close game and they probably controlled the momentum 60/40 or more but we scored freely when we did).

Sure they have a good system that is working currently but no one gave a s**t about Richmond until the 2017 finals, and down a couple of key players last year they weren't even in the 8 at Rd 14. People need to cool their jets a bit. You can't just have a team of Dion Prestias and dominate, that's not how footy works.
Couldn't you say exactly that about your own team. How would you go without Kennedy, Darling Shuey and Yeo.
Im fine with you thinking the defence is grossly over rated your entitled to your opinion.over the last three yrs it has contained three AA's another in Vlastuin who went close to it this yr and two blokes who perform their role every week and rarely get badly beaten.

Yes it seems any team who has a bit of success seems to bring the worst out in a lot of oppo supporters.Good to have a giggle and a laugh when they are down but bitter and unthinking when they are up.Of course no one cared until 2017. And some Tiger supporters are just as guilty of this as any other supporters.

We agree on one thing, we have a system that is very good. it has produced two flags and a preliminary final after finishing on top of the ladder.

Down a couple of key players thats one take on it. I have never been one to blame injuries or use them as an excuse for dropping games but the first half of last yr is the worst injury toll ive seen at the club for probably 20 yrs. And im not disagreeing with you we dont have a whole pile of top notch players and like all sides we are reliant on our better players to drag us over the line at times.

The simple fact is with so many injuries we did well to win enough games just to stay in the finals hunt yet alone finish top 4. I find it rather churlish of people not to be able to acknowledge that, you can bet your bottom dollar those same people would be trotting it out if the shoe was on the other foot.
One good thing about injuries though you get games into other players and find out what they can do.We are in a much better place today thanks to those injuries.

Lastly i have to say very harsh on Dion Prestia. Imo he would fit seamlessly into your team and would COMPARE FAVORABLY with just about every mid you have. My eyes dont just tell me this but it is supported by all the stats that are relevant for a mostly inside mid.

last yr
27.4 disposals, 11.4 of them contested, 4.92 tackles, 4.88 inside fifties, 5.88 clearances. So i think that would have him placed in either elite or very good category for all of them. Thing is he has been around this mark for most of his career. A very underrated player by many outside of tiger land who has had to deal with his share of injuries. but hey this happens with most supporters. They talk up their own and put down the opposition.

Yep the dick measuring never stops.It shows a real lack of maturity when some posters cant sit down and have a reasonable balanced debate look at both sides of a debate and acknowledge the good as well as the bad without resorting to the old my club is better than yours , your players are duds , you were lucky to win a flag etc etc etc.

Couldn't you say exactly that about your own team. How would you go without Kennedy, Darling Shuey and Yeo.
Im fine with you thinking the defence is grossly over rated your entitled to your opinion.over the last three yrs it has contained three AA's another in Vlastuin who went close to it this yr and two blokes who perform their role every week and rarely get badly beaten.

Yes it seems any team who has a bit of success seems to bring the worst out in a lot of oppo supporters.Good to have a giggle and a laugh when they are down but bitter and unthinking when they are up.Of course no one cared until 2017. And some Tiger supporters are just as guilty of this as any other supporters.

We agree on one thing, we have a system that is very good. it has produced two flags and a preliminary final after finishing on top of the ladder.

Down a couple of key players thats one take on it. I have never been one to blame injuries or use them as an excuse for dropping games but the first half of last yr is the worst injury toll ive seen at the club for probably 20 yrs. And im not disagreeing with you we dont have a whole pile of top notch players and like all sides we are reliant on our better players to drag us over the line at times.

The simple fact is with so many injuries we did well to win enough games just to stay in the finals hunt yet alone finish top 4. I find it rather churlish of people not to be able to acknowledge that, you can bet your bottom dollar those same people would be trotting it out if the shoe was on the other foot.
One good thing about injuries though you get games into other players and find out what they can do.We are in a much better place today thanks to those injuries.

Lastly i have to say very harsh on Dion Prestia. Imo he would fit seamlessly into your team and would COMPARE FAVORABLY with just about every mid you have. My eyes dont just tell me this but it is supported by all the stats that are relevant for a mostly inside mid.

last yr
27.4 disposals, 11.4 of them contested, 4.92 tackles, 4.88 inside fifties, 5.88 clearances. So i think that would have him placed in either elite or very good category for all of them. Thing is he has been around this mark for most of his career. A very underrated player by many outside of tiger land who has had to deal with his share of injuries. but hey this happens with most supporters. They talk up their own and put down the opposition.
I always rated Prestia highly, even at Gold Coast, so I was delighted to see him move to Punt Rd, with no regrets on missing out on Treloar.

Yeo won a b&f in a premiership year. So did Prestia.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back