Autopsy Tigers maul Bulldogs 99 to 61

Remove this Banner Ad

Dale just has to get closer to goals. Our best kick for goal, when we're having a team wide goal kicking crisis, is currently in the backline...Love what he does back there but that's a sacrifice we should make.

We keep on putting certain guys in positions to kick goals where they're just unable to, and always have been. Opposition teams would be very happy any time we have Hunter or Dunks pinging shots on goal or delivering inside 50. They would be much more concerned with Dale getting those wider kicks.
Agree, but forward he will not have the space he would on the wing where he can both score and set up goals

On SM-G996B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Thanks for sharing. Do you know the expected score at 3q time. Felt like we should of been out of sight at 3q time.

Also that pressure rating is terrible considering we had so many smalls.

Expected score at the end of each quarter...

Q1
RIC: 14
WB: 25

Q2
RIC: 37
WB: 40

Q3
RIC: 57
WB: 62

Q4
RIC: 80
WB: 78

I will never understand how you can get that far and still be incapable of guiding a football 8 inches down to your foot.

I showed my 4 year old son once how to do it and it's already looking better than Dunkley.

My apologies.

I have mixed up my Johns.

I've mistaken John Greenwood for John Reilly.

It was Reilly who was taken apart by Doug Wade at Geelong in '69.

Senior moment...🧙‍♂️
Reilly was another ex-Blue. Solid full back at Carlton and us, but obviously not in that game!. Actually a Sandgroper originally, left us to win a flag back at South Fremantle, where he started.

I’m genuinely done this year, have barely missed a game in Melbourne in my life but I’m not supporting this. Done
I know how you feel…… it’s so terrible to go into a season with so much hope off the back of a great finals series the previous year and to watch what has been served up this season is about as depressing as it gets. That game on Saturday night was just such a massive let down. Like most of you I’m struggling to get my mood up this Monday morning and Cam Smith’s Masters implosion hasn’t helped. But I’m hoping that we can still turn it around.

I won’t say it can’t get any worse because with North Melbourne coming up and the way we are playing it can definitely get worse. But I just hope the whole club, coaches and players, have a good hard look at themselves and think about whether what they have been doing is really their best? Have they come prepared to play to their maximum ability, have the coaches been preparing the players? Have the strategies been right, has team selection been right? Because from the outside it looks like they are under prepared and not bringing the right energy, and the coaching has been very poor also. While we lament the missed chances and their have been many, why are we constantly kicking the ball to players leading into the pockets? We are not good kicks for goal so why do we make it even harder on ourselves? Our lack of conversion is not only due to poor kicking it’s due to poor ball movement beforehand and giving our forwards the best chance. Then of course they need to convert which they have failed at miserably.

But to me this is a whole club issue. All three areas have been poor, fwd, mid and back, four if you count coaching and selection. So it’s the whole club that needs to lift and give the supporters and members some hope and a reason to keep fronting up because more of what they dished up on Saturday and there will be more that can’t keep turning up in future.

Hope you get the feels back and can get to a game again over the next few weeks. But I feel you I really do, I am feeling exactly the same. But it can turn.

Excuse the ranting format. I just watched the replay after nightshift. What the actual fu** are we doing with this list. This is a mental waste of supreme talent on so many levels.

• Dale needs to move to half forward for two reasons. His delivery to our deeper forwards is A+ and his goal smarts and ability to actually convert opportunities are elite. Let’s change some s**t up.
  • We need to revert to a more traditional style of play without the weird game plan kinks that seem to get exposed week after week.
  • Play 2 genuine KPBs. Keath, Schache, Gardy, I genuinely don’t give a fu** who. Just put some structure down there.
  • Play two ruckman so Tim isn’t running 16km a game and can be the interception machine that Gawn is for Melbourne.
  • Remove our stupid stand rule 5m retreat.
  • Our forward line needs to be completely overhauled. Naughts to play traditional CHF. Roam the wings, bang the ball in from 50 where he has less yips. JUH from the square with a resting ruck next to him to take the heat. Flea told to CRUMB like a natural small and do the job he’s there for. Stop filling the forward line with slow miss and expecting them to have connection and cohesion and whatever other bullshit buzzwords Bev has been using.
  • This team needs to go back to basics and use the strengths we have. Elite mids who can play footy.

I genuinely love Bev but I’m at the point where I honestly think that if we were to be coached by a bloke that just comes in and uses traditional structures, footy nous and plays blokes to their natural strengths, we’d rocket up the ladder. Imagine if a clean slate like Voss took our list on. It’s built similarly to Carlton’s with similar strengths yet they play a traditionalist game plan and they’re dominating.

Putting Carlton as our bench mark makes me want to vomit but that’s the putrid state of our game plan after 8 years with Bev. It’s too intricate and it’s been worked out and picked apart.
Clubhouse leader for the post of the year!

Play two ruckman so Tim isn’t running 16km a game and can be the interception machine that Gawn is for Melbourne.

Huh?

English is actually averaging more intercepts and more marks in general than Gawn is. Maybe there's a correlation for ruckmen between running a lot and taking a lot of intercepts because you're covering more ground. If you're advocating that we bring in a second ruck so that Tim can presumably rest and run less, then he's not going to be taking intercept marks in that time.

Last edited:
Huh?

English is actually averaging more intercepts and more marks in general than Gawn is. Maybe there's a correlation for ruckmen between running a lot and taking a lot of intercepts because you're covering more ground. If you're advocating that we bring in a second ruck so that Tim can presumably rest and run less, then he's not going to be taking intercept marks in that time.
You've ignored the basis of the argument. Having ruck support for Tim allows him to freely roam the ground and use his strengths without having to meaninglessly run to ballup after ballup which is the weakest element of his game. If he's even given a 30% reprieve on having to do that (as Gawn has with Jackson) then we could see him take his game to even greater heights. He could have time to float in the forward line and kick more goals (which he's really *ing good at) or assist our understrength backline and plug the gaps which he's been shown to be adept at also.

Didn't think it was that hard a concept to understand. It's only been brought about on this board every day for the last 3 years minimum.

You've ignored the basis of the argument. Having ruck support for Tim allows him to freely roam the ground and use his strengths without having to meaninglessly run to ballup after ballup which is the weakest element of his game. If he's even given a 30% reprieve on having to do that (as Gawn has with Jackson) then we could see him take his game to even greater heights. He could have time to float in the forward line and kick more goals (which he's really f*n good at) or assist our understrength backline and plug the gaps which he's been shown to be adept at also.

Didn't think it was that hard a concept to understand. It's only been brought about on this board every day for the last 3 years minimum.

Get him on the wing

Without reading the whole thread has anyone mentioned the 2 or 3 times at center bounces where no Bulldogs player contested the ruck dual. It was a bit comical to see the Richmond ruck go up against no one.
I think that is taking the disrespect of the ruck position to new levels where we don’t even have one at all.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The club over the last year has entirely dropped the ball with recruitment, player management and development.

Something stinks to high heaven.

The Westcoast eagles - correction - everyone in Perth that is involved in the AFL, expects English to be at either WC or Freo next season. Money will not sway him. His father owns a major stock broking firm in Perth. The family is worth over 50 mil. And his girl friend since high school plays professional netball in Perth.

Apparently, they are keen to start a family and they both see their future in Perth.

If English does leave us - no doubt we will fully compensated with picks - but it’s entirely derelict that we don’t currently have another two Ruckman being blooded on our list with this looming over our heads.

No one in the afl can understand our behavior over the off season with regards to key defenders and ruck stocks. In fact a call from Tarrant’s manager was not even returned by our club.

I am finding our games unwatchable: we have the leagues best mid field but it is repeatedly torched because our coach does not believe we need a second Ruckman or anything resembling a key position defender with any genuine class.

We have a ridiculous number of A grade quality players and aside from English they are playing nowhere near their best: Bont, Naughton, mccrae, treloar, smith, Dunkley, liber, Dale, Hunter, Daniel - it’s all just in happening patches.

Mc Neil is done - his had loads of chances. Time to give Rylie West a stint of 6 games where he does nothing.

I have a very bad feeling about the playing group - something stinks

They did own a chunk of land in Pingelly but sold up and moved to Perth a few years back. First I've heard of the stock broking firm too.
Ah ok, didn't know they'd sold out. Still, unless they owned a station (or at least one seriously massive farm), I doubt they'd be worth $50mil+

You've ignored the basis of the argument. Having ruck support for Tim allows him to freely roam the ground and use his strengths without having to meaninglessly run to ballup after ballup which is the weakest element of his game. If he's even given a 30% reprieve on having to do that (as Gawn has with Jackson) then we could see him take his game to even greater heights. He could have time to float in the forward line and kick more goals (which he's really f*n good at) or assist our understrength backline and plug the gaps which he's been shown to be adept at also.

Bev uses makeshift ruckmen to release English to play deep forward in the main. If, say, Sweet, is brought in to help English, Bev would have English deep forward rather than roaming around the half back line intercepting when Sweet is rucking. That's what seemed to happen when Martin played. When English is rucking, Sweet would either be deep forward or, knowing Bev, more likely on the bench making way for another runner.

Last edited:
No I'm fairly certain they wouldn't have made anywhere near $50mil from the sale of the land. Who knows about their investments though.
Every time I read about some huge jackpot winner in the Tattslotto Jackpots, they are invariably from Western Australia. Perhaps that's the source of the English Family $50 mil.

Two things that I have noticed over the past few weeks (apart from the shocking goal kicking)
  • We seem to kick over the heads of our leading players, happens way too often
  • When defending we always seem to have 2 or 3 guys jump and try to spoil and no one stays down.. inevitably the oppo runs away with the crumb

The goal kicking yips seemed to be infectious on Saturday night, I felt like the players heads dropped a bit more after each miss

Remove this Banner Ad

Back