Preview Tigers vs Kangas 7:40pm Saturday @ Metricon

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

This article is actually a good analysis of our issues in attack. Teams are flooding our forward line, which leads to us being outnumbered there. This means that we struggle to mark the ball or apply pressure.

We should stop kicking in long when a team does this. We either should hit up short targets inside 50 or just run the ball in and take a shot at goal from a long while away. Yeah that means less accuracy but that beats scoring nothing from an inside 50. I really hope that Hardwick and the boys notice this and change it up because it doesn’t appear like they have against Sydney.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This article is actually a good analysis of our issues in attack. Teams are flooding our forward line, which leads to us being outnumbered there. This means that we struggle to mark the ball or apply pressure.

We should stop kicking in long when a team does this. We either should hit up short targets inside 50 or just run the ball in and take a shot at goal from a long while away. Yeah that means less accuracy but that beats scoring nothing from an inside 50. I really hope that Hardwick and the boys notice this and change it up because it doesn’t appear like they have against Sydney.
it's entirely possible the playing directors know this and would rather keep it in our forward line rather than give them free and open posession from full-back.

If you look back sort of pre 2017 our biggest issue apart from losing consistently was our poor general level of kicking skills. What we did was then go hey, let's work to our strengths, speed, tenacity and just win the contests and suffocate the opposition until they cough the ball up.

Fast forward to 2020 and opposition sides are adding numbers to their defensive 50 it means as you mention long bombing doesn't work but the alternative is to lower the eyes and find targets with precise kicks, that my friends then exposes our weakness.

I still believe we have very few in the side with the level of kicking skills in order to execute an eyes down style of play. My feeling is we compromise, don't bomb it long but don't try to thread the proverbial needle either. Simply get the ball along the ground into areas of the forward 50 that you can effectively defend and cause the turnovers we are known for.

it's entirely possible the playing directors know this and would rather keep it in our forward line rather than give them free and open posession from full-back.
I think that our ability to score is going to be paramount to winning. It’s fine to structure defensively, but I don’t think that kicking 34 points is going to be a winning score very often.
If you look back sort of pre 2017 our biggest issue apart from losing consistently was our poor general level of kicking skills. What we did was then go hey, let's work to our strengths, speed, tenacity and just win the contests and suffocate the opposition until they cough the ball up.

Fast forward to 2020 and opposition sides are adding numbers to their defensive 50 it means as you mention long bombing doesn't work but the alternative is to lower the eyes and find targets with precise kicks, that my friends then exposes our weakness.

I still believe we have very few in the side with the level of kicking skills in order to execute an eyes down style of play. My feeling is we compromise, don't bomb it long but don't try to thread the proverbial needle either. Simply get the ball along the ground into areas of the forward 50 that you can effectively defend and cause the turnovers we are known for.
I agree that it isn’t our strength, but I just feel like we need to find a way out of our dilemma with teams like this. Port Adelaide does the same thing so we need to find a way. Bombing just does not work and as you said because we’re not skilled enough to hit medium-length targets inside 50 consistently as evident in the Sydney game. I just wanted them to start kicking for goal from about 40-45 metres out more regularly instead because the other two options tend to be a waste of time most of the time (bombing long and threading the needle so to speak). At least we’ll hopefully keep the scoreboard ticking that way as I know we have players that can at least make that distance. 14 scoring shots from 53 inside 50s (26%) is just not good enough. Against Hawthorn it was 33% and against Collingwood it was 25%. We were usually at 35%-50% last year for most games. What’s happening now is well below that.

I hope Garthwaite gets another game

Every since ready Harry Potter, Garthy has made great use of the Invisibility Cloke he set out to make. It really does explain Grimes incredible uptick of form since Garthy arrive......🤐

I've been thinking about a strategy that could help counter this "flood back against Richmond" tactic.

- Given we often like to kick it in long without really hitting up a forward 50 target (and likely cannot anyway due to the sheer numbers in our forward 50), when teams start the flood, you could park one tall forward fairly deep with two of the smaller players nearby. Park the other tall forward 5 to 15 metres in front of him, with the other two smaller players nearby.

- Back the talls to take a mark or at least get it to ground, then the smalls go to work. If the kick comes in deep enough, it goes to the deepest tall and his two smalls, with the higher tall and smalls to then look at pressuring exit options rather than the area with the ball. And then vice-versa, if the kick comes in less deep, to the higher tall and his smalls, the deeper set can then come up to provide assistance at the contest, or pressure exit options that are waiting out the back near the goals.

- While doing this, develop language where the tall can signal to his smalls that he isn't going to make it to the drop of the ball (eg. he is being man-handled and cannot get there). Then one of the smalls can attempt a speccy or something, anything, just to engage the spare defender who is about to take an easy intercept mark, and help the ball get to ground.

- Meanwhile, with the above tactic, our defenders will have set up to lock it into our 50, if indeed the ball comes out. Having employed the flood, you would think the opponent will have fewer players for our defenders to worry about as the ball comes out.

- Once the flood stops (eg. the opponent runs out of gas and cannot sustain the constant pushing back to mass-defend), revert back to a normal Richmond style.

- Further to this, we could start running it into 50 more and taking shots on goal. You have players like Dusty, Caddy, Short for example, who are all capable goal kickers from 50 metres or more. A miss is still better than an easy defensive mark from a long bomb into the 50. A shot at goal is better than a risky pass to half-forward where a turnover basically kills you. And best of all, a goal on the run from 40-60 looks good, and is a massive morale boost to the team; morale-sapping for the opponent.

- Lastly, I've noticed this season, after a behind, we're allowing teams to run it out of the goal square and kick it outside of 50. In the past we've locked them in and forced them to go short from the goal square to the pocket. Any reason we're allowing such an easy long exit after a behind you reckon??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back