Social Science Tight arse things you or others do

pepsi

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 4, 2008
Maribyrnong
AFL Club
Essendon
What are things you do to save money? I am a bit tight with my money in some instances, but then in others I am not. Some things I do:

I always buy petrol on the Wednesday night/Thursday morning.

I don't really like tipping waiter's when eating out, unless the service is excellent.

Splitting bills. I don't really drink alcohol, so I don't think I should pay for others to drink. Paying for your share when eating out only seems fair.

Going to a pub on whenever its Parma specials night.

Tight arses I dont understand:
- People who go on holiday, then don't actually do anything there cos they are on a tight budget. What is the point?

cuzzy_bandwagon

Debutant
Dec 11, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
i keep all the tiny pieces of soap that are unusable in a separate bucket then melt them down and make a whole new bar of soap

DB10

Brownlow Medallist
Veteran 10k Posts NFL Draft Comp Participant NFL Mock Draft Participant
Oct 9, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens & Chicago Bulls
I only go to the cinema on a Tuesday.

Like, I won't go Saturday nights unless it's a movie I'm desperate to see. There's no way I'm paying $16 on an unknown quantity. At least it's only $9.50 on tight-arse Tuesday.

Barry Zuckercorn

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Jul 13, 2006
Parkville
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
#StandByHird
My missus has a friend who is a notorious tight-arse. When they go out as a group for dinners etc without fail she'll claim to have forgotten her purse or has her purse but no cash in it or she only has an eftpos card but has forgotten her pin. She generally gets away with it cause girls tend to accept it and then backstab her whereas blokes would let you know about if it happened more than once.

During uni, a big group of us would go to Fawkner Park on Toorak Rd for "epic" test cricket matches during summer. After hours of cricket we'd all head to the 7/11 for drinks, slurpees etc. This one bloke would never spend a cent... And to make things worse he'd always preach to us something along the lines of "arent you gonna go home after this? there'll be food and drink there so why waste your money here"? :rolleyes:

Great bloke... he'd also only drink bottled water at bars/clubs cause of the "over-inflated" prices of alcohol at bars as compared to bottle shops :rolleyes:

lifelike_

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 16, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Queens Park Rangers
I've got a mate who's notorious for his fiscally conservative ways. If we're all heading out for the night, he'll do whatever he can to make sure he spends as little as humanly possible. When you ask him to take the next round, he'll sometimes pull the old "oh, I'm just heading off to an ATM, do you mind taking the next one?", yet three hours later he's still 'on his way to the ATM'.

Taxis are the biggest problem though. I know a couple of people who'll be more than happy to jump the queue for the next taxi, but always have to take a piss as soon as it's time to pay the fare. They're also the type that'll bring up the drink they (finally) managed to buy you six months ago, and that you still owe them that $7.50. The worst part is that they can somehow manage to make you look like the tightarse.

Lensen

You've ruined the act, GOB
Feb 23, 2003
Brisbane
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
I developed a brilliant plan at the woolworths self serve checkouts.

If the total price for my groceries is say $23.48, I will pay via eftpos but choose the "pay other amount" option. Then I'll enter 3c more, i.e. $23.51, and I'll get 5c change, effectively making a free 2c :thumbsu:

Illinois Nazi

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Jul 8, 2002
Why? You stalking me?
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Whoever's winning

If the total price for my groceries is say $23.48, I will pay via eftpos but choose the "pay other amount" option. Then I'll enter 3c more, i.e. $23.51, and I'll get 5c change, effectively making a free 2c :thumbsu:

Brilliant! If you do that every week for the rest of your life, you could well come out 60 or 70 dollars in front!

Costanza_

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
West Ham United
When filling up the car I always get that extra 2c worth of petrol for free.

Ditto. And I always give the nozzle a bit of a shake to dislodge those remaining few drops before I put it back on the hook.

My grandfather is easily the tightest person I know. He grew up during the depression and was dirt poor so he learnt to scrape every cent he could and has never changed his habits, despite being well off financially. A few examples...

• He cuts his own washers from sheets of plastic.
  • If there is ever a big golf tournament in Sydney he stakes out the course and works out how he can sneak on for free - even going so far as to cut holes in fences for him to crawl through on the day. The guys almost 90 and he is trekking through dense scrub and scaling fences to avoid paying the entry fee.
  • He has small quantities of shares in dozens of companies dependent on how many freebies they give away at their AGM. Soul Pattinson is his favourite, every year he gets a shitload of creams and vitamins and other barely useful s**t. If an AGM is held at a place he knows well, he often has worked out a way of doubling back into the building to collect a second/third/fourth goodie bag.
  • He used to play alot of golf and if either of us ever hit a ball into the bushes, we would never, never be allowed to continue until we found it. It didn't matter that we might find 2 or 3 other balls during the hunt, we would have to keep searching till we found it.
  • He has worked his cars fuel consumption out to a tee. So if he ever has to take a road with a toll, he will study a road map to determine whether the extra fuel that would be expended by taking a longer way would be would cost more or less than the toll.
Great character who I absolutely adore :thumbsu:

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
I only go to the cinema on a Tuesday.

Like, I won't go Saturday nights unless it's a movie I'm desperate to see. There's no way I'm paying $16 on an unknown quantity. At least it's only $9.50 on tight-arse Tuesday.

I'm pretty much the same. Usually try and arrange to see movies on Tuesdays if I can, unless there is some special reason to see a movie at another time.

Not exactly uncommon though, most people I know do the same. Like you say, if you end up seeing a dud on tight-arse Tuesday it doesn't sting you as much as when you're paying the full whack.

I've got a mate who's notorious for his fiscally conservative ways. If we're all heading out for the night, he'll do whatever he can to make sure he spends as little as humanly possible. When you ask him to take the next round, he'll sometimes pull the old "oh, I'm just heading off to an ATM, do you mind taking the next one?", yet three hours later he's still 'on his way to the ATM'.

Used to have a mate like that, he was a notorious round dodger. He'd always be the last in our group to shout and then nine times out of ten when it was his round he'd go missing, then he'd bob up again later when someone else bought a round.

Eventually we woke up to him though and didn't include him in rounds.

I guess that's a bit like people that put in an extra cent or two of petrol at the servos, ie. $20.01 or $20.02, as they know that with the rounding they won't have to pay for it. Like an extra 1 or 2 cents fuel makes any difference when you spill half of it on the ground anyway.

I am guilty of doing this myself quite often by the way, most of the time by accident as I end up dozing off at the bowser. Although I won't lie and say I don't enjoy screwing those big petrol multinationals out of a cent or two. It's a victory for the little man after all.

RoJo Junior

Premiership Player
Suspended
Jun 23, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea

Orrrr, you could do a transaction for each item and save 2c per item.

If you don't mind having a million transactions, its genius :D

Could save a $1 a day easy :p

My missus has a friend who is a notorious tight-arse. When they go out as a group for dinners etc without fail she'll claim to have forgotten her purse or has her purse but no cash in it or she only has an eftpos card but has forgotten her pin. She generally gets away with it cause girls tend to accept it and then backstab her whereas blokes would let you know about if it happened more than once.

The guys I'm mates with wouldn't mind doing it, the difference between us and tight ass women is that ya mate will always either drop the money off the next day or shout the next time we do something. Works out well. :thumbsu:

Ghostwriter

Cancelled
10k Posts RIP North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2008 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor
Aug 20, 2002
Petrie Motlop sponsor '03
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I kept all my old plastic shopping bags, and now when I go to the supermarket I take 2 or 3 bags in my pocket, the looks I get at checkout are priceless.

my brother used to do the whole l forgot my wallet thing all the time.
over 60% of my items on my shopping list will be on special or marked down
always get the extra 2c of petty.never pay full price on household items like telly's or washing machines and always shop around for the best price.and every now and then l check out the second hand shops for jeans etc.

Illinois Nazi

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Song Contest Winner - 5+ Rounds
Jul 8, 2002
Why? You stalking me?
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Whoever's winning
I will walk home from the city, which is about 20-25 minutes, so I don't have to pay the $3.80 train ticket.

For a 20-25 minute walk I'd skip the train just so I don't have to cram in with the general mob.

Bulldog Breed

Team Captain
Suspended
Oct 3, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
My mum and dad tend to keep the little sachets from KFC that contain the serviette, spoon, straw and the baby wipe-like tissue thing. I have no idea when they're going to be put in use.

lol, what a funny idea. I'm checkout chick, might get some of the customers on that theory. :thumbsu:

Back