Player Watch Tim Broomhead - (Delisted 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure I have commented on this matter before so not sure what you mean by letting it go. If you think I am potting Broomy you are wrong, never thought of him as soft and he is doing well this season. Unlucky to be dropped is probably just outside top 22 at the moment and can get more senior games soon if things fall his way.

Rather than find something negative about the club I am going the opposite way, hoping there was no muck up. Of course I could be easily wrong and sorry to shizzle if I am the uninformed one. I didn't know the club had said they f...... up his injury. I missed it so would be interested in seeing it. Do you remember where that was reported?
I too would be very interested also in citing this claim, if true that's a huge stuff up by the club...

Are you kidding? He was just establishing himself as best 22 in 2015 when he injured his shoulder, got a RS nomination, and then had his shoulder so badly managed he was basically sidelined for 18 months. He had an extremely limited preseason, yet has been able to come in an play decent footy, including a 26 disposal game vs the Swans. This is a kid who's gone through glandular fever, a broken hand, a serious shoulder injury and is finally getting a decent run and you want him gone before he gets a chance to prove himself with a clean run.

Not sure why you have it out for a guy who's had such a wretched run?
Just curious how you came up with the 18 month number? Correct me if I'm wrong but he was injured vs. Port round 15 in 2015, then made his VFL return round 3 2016 and then AFL return round 6 against West Coast. Are these dates correct? That would mean he was out July 9th to May 1st from AFL level (played several weeks in the 2's prior however). So 10 months?

Agree its between those 2. Broomy or Phillips. De Goey has to be in. Phillips is lucky but i suppose you would say Broomy was also lucky if he had been picked. Can mount a case for both.

Yes and no GC. I'd much have preferred that Broomy stay in the side, mainly because I see Phillips as a good but ordinary footballer, while Broomy still looks to have star factor, that extra quality. Maybe the club saw something in their training and preparation this week that gave Phillips the edge? Broomy is definitely well above VFL level now. Interesting times.

I reckon his tackling is good. His tackling numbers could improve but it has surprised me how well the ones he makes stick. It's taken some time but I think he now has the body strength. I really do hope this week was just Buckley resting a player that is sore and didn't participate in a full pre-season; because Benny was building.

You knew you'd get a like for the Benny.:D

Yes and no GC. I'd much have preferred that Broomy stay in the side, mainly because I see Phillips as a good but ordinary footballer, while Broomy still looks to have star factor, that extra quality. Maybe the club saw something in their training and preparation this week that gave Phillips the edge? Broomy is definitely well above VFL level now. Interesting times.
Not sure I would call Broomy well above VFL level given he is playing there this week. I would have De Goey as the standout that's why he came back in but Broomy and Philips are on similar footing. Varcoe is ahead of them so comes back when fit , maybe at the expecnse of Ramsay.

Think what we have when the list is full fitness wise is a group of younger player who can't quite make themselves best 22 but are jockeying for the last spots. Put Phillips, Broomy, Crocker, Wills, Aish in that group with Kirby, Daicos and Brown vying to join them. There are far too many in this group to make it so it's a real dogfight for spots on the list and maybe later in the year and 2018 to keep a spot on the list. It'd depth. It's good. It's actually good we have been able to drop a player of Broomy ilk who is playing solidly on the basis that there was just not enough spots to keep him.

Agree with most of your post Sco except the physicality part.

Tim & WHE will never become physical players.......EVER..........why would we want them to do that??

IMO we have two perfect "link" players in Tim & WHE...........they are so important in todays footy.
The Darren Millane (R.I.P) type players do not exist anymore.........e.g Greene this week.

Then Broomhead won't make it and will always tease, IMO. The difference between 2010 Stephen Hill and 2017 Stephen Hill is one is scared of his own shadow and the other will do what it takes to win the ball.

I rate Tim more than just about any on here, but I believe WHE has more talent in his pinky than him (that's not to s**t on Tim it's just that WHE was drafted the highest of any player on our list for a reason) and I don't believe you can carry two blokes that don't win their own ball.

I guess the reason we want them to have a physical element to their game is that it makes them too easy to lock down on if they don't. Take Rich he is so easy to sit on because he's never built the tank to be involved in multiple passages of play. If he had the endurance of Scully he'd be one of the best the game has ever seen. Unfortunately only having one trick has prevented him being one of the games elite.

Were I Bolton I'd give WHE the Mills treatment today and have one of their many scrubs just pest him all day. I'd be shocked if WHE were able to fight through it so we'd effectively be playing with 21. That's why physicality is essential :thumbsu:

Not sure I would call Broomy well above VFL level given he is playing there this week. I would have De Goey as the standout that's why he came back in but Broomy and Philips are on similar footing. Varcoe is ahead of them so comes back when fit , maybe at the expecnse of Ramsay.

Think what we have when the list is full fitness wise is a group of younger player who can't quite make themselves best 22 but are jockeying for the last spots. Put Phillips, Broomy, Crocker, Wills, Aish in that group with Kirby, Daicos and Brown vying to join them. There are far too many in this group to make it so it's a real dogfight for spots on the list and maybe later in the year and 2018 to keep a spot on the list. It'd depth. It's good. It's actually good we have been able to drop a player of Broomy ilk who is playing solidly on the basis that there was just not enough spots to keep him.

I was unaware there was a level between AFL and VFL for Broomhead to be sitting in? The implication being that he'll dominate at that level because he's above it and there's not really much to gain from it.

Edit: It's much the same as Blair is above the level. He'll put up fantastic numbers through the midfield at that level, but is a battler at the next level. Some players fit that criteria. Broomhead needs a good stretch without injury to break out of it, IMO, but there are no guarantees in footy.

Just curious how you came up with the 18 month number? Correct me if I'm wrong but he was injured vs. Port round 15 in 2015, then made his VFL return round 3 2016 and then AFL return round 6 against West Coast. Are these dates correct? That would mean he was out July 9th to May 1st from AFL level (played several weeks in the 2's prior however). So 10 months?
He played a bit of football in 2015 but then was pulled back out because his shoulder still wasn't right. All of that is on the club's back, not his. He didn't get re-injured, there were problems with his initial shoulder injury still. I used the 18 month figure because that was roughly the amount of time he missed from the initial injury, misdiagnosis and subsequent mismanagement by the club. Being told to just play by the club despite his shoulder not being right is no fault of Tim's.

Then Broomhead won't make it and will always tease, IMO. The difference between 2010 Stephen Hill and 2017 Stephen Hill is one is scared of his own shadow and the other will do what it takes to win the ball.

I rate Tim more than just about any on here, but I believe WHE has more talent in his pinky than him (that's not to s**t on Tim it's just that WHE was drafted the highest of any player on our list for a reason) and I don't believe you can carry two blokes that don't win their own ball.

I guess the reason we want them to have a physical element to their game is that it makes them too easy to lock down on if they don't. Take Rich he is so easy to sit on because he's never built the tank to be involved in multiple passages of play. If he had the endurance of Scully he'd be one of the best the game has ever seen. Unfortunately only having one trick has prevented him being one of the games elite.

Were I Bolton I'd give WHE the Mills treatment today and have one of their many scrubs just pest him all day. I'd be shocked if WHE were able to fight through it so we'd effectively be playing with 21. That's why physicality is essential :thumbsu:
Daniel Wells

Daniel Wells
You really haven't watched much of Wells have you?

Go and tell the north board that Wells is allergic to physicality and they'll laugh you out of there. It's a widely held view there that his career best footy was played as an inside mid.

I was unaware there was a level between AFL and VFL for Broomhead to be sitting in? The implication being that he'll dominate at that level because he's above it and there's not really much to gain from it.

I didn't know there was a level between either. All my view is there are a group of players at the club currently, young and developing, who are vying to establish themselves as best 22 established AFL players. De Goey for instance has already made that leap and isn't part of that group so is above VFL level for me. Broomy and others are not above VFL level for mine until they establish themselves as permanent best 22.
It's a healthy situation to be in

This group including Broomy has plenty to gain from playing in the VFL. It will be the ones who dominate who will be putting their name forward as the next to get an AFL crack when a spot presents. Broomy has to go hard because Aish,who has fallen behind because he hasn't used his VFL time well, Crocker, Wills and even Kirby or Daicos if they develop will go past him in the pecking order if he doesn't.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he was dropped for De Goey, and De Goey plays forward, I'd be disappointed. Broomhead has greater forward impact and De Goey is better positioned on ball. It's doing two players a disservice.

I suspect DeGoey will be eased into the centre today with stints resting in the forward line. He has the ability to kick a couple.

I agree, it's not his best position as he'd be one of our better in-and-under players, but with our midfield cupboard full we'd have to rotate.

You really haven't watched much of Wells have you?

Go and tell the north board that Wells is allergic to physicality and they'll laugh you out of there. It's a widely held view there that his career best footy was played as an inside mid.
I was referring to Scodog10 putting WHE as the highest draft pick on the list at Collingwood. Wells was no 2.

I have watched plenty of Wells play and know him a bit. I walked past him at 3 Q time at Coburg a few weeks ago and he gave me a pat on the bum and told me he had been talking about me when he signed at Collingwood because he knows I am a Collingwood nut. Would never call him outside. Read my posting and you will see I rate him very highly and is exactly the player our midfield was missing.

I didn't know there was a level between either. All my view is there are a group of players at the club currently, young and developing, who are vying to establish themselves as best 22 established AFL players. De Goey for instance has already made that leap and isn't part of that group so is above VFL level for me. Broomy and others are not above VFL level for mine until they establish themselves as permanent best 22.
It's a healthy situation to be in

This group including Broomy has plenty to gain from playing in the VFL. It will be the ones who dominate who will be putting their name forward as the next to get an AFL crack when a spot presents. Broomy has to go hard because Aish,who has fallen behind because he hasn't used his VFL time well, Crocker, Wills and even Kirby or Daicos if they develop will go past him in the pecking order if he doesn't.

So in other words they can dominate the level in a way that its below them, but because they aren't established AFL footballers it isn't below them. Seems legit!

I was referring to Scodog10 putting WHE as the highest draft pick on the list at Collingwood. Wells was no 2.

I have watched plenty of Wells play and know him a bit. I walked past him at 3 Q time at Coburg a few weeks ago and he gave me a pat on the bum and told me he had been talking about me when he signed at Collingwood because he knows I am a Collingwood nut. Would never call him outside. Read my posting and you will see I rate him very highly and is exactly the player our midfield was missing.

What an ironic time for me to be listening to Hutchy, Turf and Pickers :thumbsu:

Fair enough, sounded like you were calling him out as allergic to contact. Happy to be corrected.

Physicality takes on many forms Scodog.......how can I explain this better.

I liken WHE & Tim to a player that I respected because he played the game at a very consistent level and ran all day. His gut running was amazing but I don't remember him tackling or being "physical" in the way you describe.

He is the only Carlton player that I have liked (I hate Carlton if you haven't noticed)........he is actually a S.A also so you might know he is is...........a little before your time I think.

He is the exact player WHE (more flair) and especially Tim should model their game on.

That player is Craig Bradley.

He played a bit of football in 2015 but then was pulled back out because his shoulder still wasn't right. All of that is on the club's back, not his. He didn't get re-injured, there were problems with his initial shoulder injury still. I used the 18 month figure because that was roughly the amount of time he missed from the initial injury, misdiagnosis and subsequent mismanagement by the club. Being told to just play by the club despite his shoulder not being right is no fault of Tim's.
So essentially what your saying is that he "played a bit of football" when there were 16 weeks between when he came back from his shoulder injury and then when he missed any football due to the shoulder again and he played 8 games of football in that time including 2 games at AFL level? Really gonna call that a "bit of football"...

Also, your asserting that he is not an injury prone player and probably re-aggravated a pre-existing shoulder ailment after 4 months of apparently being back, but that he was actually injured that entire time and its the clubs fault for misdiagnosing the injury? Where is your evidence of this? Did the club come out and say this or is this just an "inside word" or otherwise known as an "opinion"?

So essentially what your saying is that he "played a bit of football" when there were 16 weeks between when he came back from his shoulder injury and then when he missed any football due to the shoulder again and he played 8 games of football in that time including 2 games at AFL level? Really gonna call that a "bit of football"...
Yes. He played injured for 8 weeks. Hence the 'mismanagement'.
Also, your asserting that he is not an injury prone player and probably re-aggravated a pre-existing shoulder ailment after 4 months of apparently being back, but that he was actually injured that entire time and its the clubs fault for misdiagnosing the injury? Where is your evidence of this? Did the club come out and say this or is this just an "inside word" or otherwise known as an "opinion"?
Lol, as if the club is going to admit publicly that it completely stuffed up a players rehab. I have my own sources within physio circles and several others here have their own sources and the stories all match. You can choose not to believe it if you want to, because clearly it doesn't suit your narrative, but that doesn't mean you're correct.

Yes. He played injured for 8 weeks. Hence the 'mismanagement'.

Lol, as if the club is going to admit publicly that it completely stuffed up a players rehab. I have my own sources within physio circles and several others here have their own sources and the stories all match. You can choose not to believe it if you want to, because clearly it doesn't suit your narrative, but that doesn't mean you're correct.
Unfortunately when you're making a bold statement like "the club completely mismanaged his injury" the onus of proof is on you to prove thats the case, not me to disprove it. There's no evidence that this was the case except for the fact he had an injured shoulder, then 16 weeks later had an injured shoulder again which is perfectly common for athletes, and that a few people who have a hard on for a bloke who has been in the system for 5 years and is still a fringe player say so...

Funny how when i suggest the fact Broomhead has played more VFL games than he should (according to your analysis of him as a player), and the fact its concerning younger blokes are being picked over him (whether that be him playing as the sub or him playing a VFL game while a younger bloke gets a run in the 1's) you like to claim "he didn't directly come out for him therefore he wasn't directly picked over him so the point is invalid and you're just trying to fit a narrative", yet you're perfectly happy making claims with no evidence or factual basis about some injury mismanagement conspiracy or exaggerated times on the sideline to fit your narrative.

Go Tim smash em today mate!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back