Robroy22

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 24, 2012
Jindabyne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Central Broken Hill (Magpies)
What could you trade him for? Which club is gonna try and rebuild his broken heart?
Seriously, by 24 you know if the "kid" (who's been in the system for 6 years by then)....is ever gonna have the stones to play in the most combative of positions.
Which club is gonna trade for a slow, 200+cm outside mid who shies at shadows?

Doggy

Brownlow Medallist
May 20, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
What could you trade him for? Which club is gonna try and rebuild his broken heart?
Seriously, by 24 you know if the "kid" (who's been in the system for 6 years by then)....is ever gonna have the stones to play in the most combative of positions.
Except for the height, Collingwood are doing that with Lipinski

adogsfan5

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

You can teach someone some mongrel at 18-19, not sure you can at 25.

Western Bulldogs tall Tim English is keen to re-sign with the club, reports The Herald Sun’s Jon Ralph.

English, who’s contracted until the end of 2022, has struggled to cement his spot as the Bulldogs’ No. 1 ruck and was moved forward this season after the club acquired veteran big man Stefan Martin.

And North Melbourne great David King told SEN radio on Monday that he believes English is expendable to the Bulldogs and could be put up for trade after his lacklustre Grand Final performance, saying the 24-year old “isn’t going to get much better”.

But Ralph told Fox Sports News’ AFL Tonight that English has no plans to depart Whitten Oval.

“My understanding is that English is really keen to stay in Melbourne. He’ll wait until midway through next year to consider a contract extension,” he said.

“His girlfriend has just signed a two-year Super Netball contract in Perth. But they’ve been living in a long-distance relationship, she’s been in Queensland (so) I don’t think that changes things.”

Fingers crossed he can rediscover his pre-concussion form.

rgauci

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 16, 2004
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
DOCKERS
The Doggies should/will keep him but I'd do Lobb + a late second for English and a 3rd. We would only move Lobb if we got equivalent of a pick between 20-25.

So roughly pick 21 + pick 33 for English + pick 48.

Values English at that mid first rounder value.

Personally I’d prefer to keep Lobb. Giving up draft capital to change Lobb into English is sort of pointless.

Lobb is born Feb 93, English is born August 97.

Lobb drafted 2013, English 2016.

There’s 3 years afl experience between them and about 4.5 years in age.

We have Sean Darcy and Lloyd Meek who are both younger than English, we don’t need to invest in the ruck at all unless it’s for generational talent like Jackson.

Sep 4, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
Personally I’d prefer to keep Lobb. Giving up draft capital to change Lobb into English is sort of pointless.

Lobb is born Feb 93, English is born August 97.

Lobb drafted 2013, English 2016.

There’s 3 years afl experience between them and about 4.5 years in age.

We have Sean Darcy and Lloyd Meek who are both younger than English, we don’t need to invest in the ruck at all unless it’s for generational talent like Jackson.

4.5 years is basically half an AFL career so I think English would fit out list profile more. I'm not super keen on him so it's not a big deal.

I still think we should just hit the draft this year unless there are players going at the right price. Which means players out of contract (which isn't English or Jackson).

Mar 26, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
If you use Freo valuation methods of players ie Cerra then English is probably worth picks 6 & 8 (cue Freo supporters that's way too much)

However, English could make a massive impact to Freo - difference between making finals and not. Plus his size, flexibility as a forward/ ruck make him a rare commodity.

So realistically he would have a similar value to Cerra maybe even a slight bit more whatever that ends up being. Not that I really think he will leave so all hypothetical.

Sep 4, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
If you use Freo valuation methods of players ie Cerra then English is probably worth picks 6 & 8 (cue Freo supporters that's way too much)

However, English could make a massive impact to Freo - difference between making finals and not. Plus his size, flexibility as a forward/ ruck make him a rare commodity.

So realistically he would have a similar value to Cerra maybe even a slight bit more whatever that ends up being. Not that I really think he will leave so all hypothetical.

Glek has entered the chat.

Ash1337

Club Legend
Apr 11, 2009
Albany
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
English was far from the worst of the dogs on the night. His around ground work was still good and he had Patches in the ruck he did ok in. That said Gawn was playing like a super human and not even Martin could do much.

It's been said he's commited to playing at dogs next year and will put off contract talks until half into the season.

Feb 15, 2002
Jackson-Steinem
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Bluestar Airlines, Anacott Steel
He reminds me a lot of Josh Fraser.

Fraser to me was a third forward/2nd ruck who could exploit a match up, had some good seasons early but was forced out by Dawes/Brown playing that role behind Darren Jolly/ Travis Cloke.

Never really got going but eked out a 200+ game career.

He reminds me a lot of Josh Fraser.

Fraser to me was a third forward/2nd ruck who could exploit a match up, had some good seasons early but was forced out by Dawes/Brown playing that role behind Darren Jolly/ Travis Cloke.

Never really got going but eked out a 200+ game career.
Josh Fraser seemed to have been thrown to the wolves far too early and his body was wrecked by the time he was in his late 20s.
In the past two years English was given far more opportunity than his performances warranted so I hope it's not the same scenario.

Dec 29, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Pre-concussion when playing along side Bruce and Naughton, as second ruck/third forward kicked 9 goals 6 behinds from 6 games. After returning from concussion kicked 10 goals 9 behinds on 16 games as mainly a ruck for a large period then as second ruck/second forward. Seems the concussion and role change affected him a lot.

Hope the dogs keep him more valuable to us than anyone else. If we get a first choice ruck and he can play third tall second ruck next year he has the potential to be a 30+ goal forward/ruck.

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Josh Fraser seemed to have been thrown to the wolves far too early and his body was wrecked by the time he was in his late 20s.
In the past two years English was given far more opportunity than his performances warranted so I hope it's not the same scenario.

Seems sadly a similar story to poor Matthew Kruezer, which makes Luke Jackson and his astonishing first two seasons even more remarkable and valuable for the Dees.

Probably going to be the first ruckman ever to earn more than 1 Million dollars a season at some point..

Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers

6 and 8?

AdmiredSpryHorse-size_restricted.gif

adogsfan5

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Coming home to the west
I thought only Vic players left interstate clubs to come home?

The sooking on here from interstate clubs is unbearable at times when players want to return to Victoria which is clearly a 2 way street.

Nov 9, 2007
The honorable loss factory
AFL Club
Carlton
he's pretty talented but i reckon if the dogs lose Tim English, Toby Mclean and maybe dunkley they wouldn't be too unhappy from a salary-cap : performance equation.

a cheaper more 'pure' ruckman and let the forward roles be filled by naughton, JUH, bruce isn't a negative imo

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Coming home to the west
he's pretty talented but i reckon if the dogs lose Tim English, Toby Mclean and maybe dunkley they wouldn't be too unhappy from a salary-cap : performance equation.

a cheaper more 'pure' ruckman and let the forward roles be filled by naughton, JUH, bruce isn't a negative imo

Whole new thread on English coming out of contract - this is the re-committed old thread.

Back