Recommitted Tim English [Re-signed Until 2024]

Remove this Banner Ad

Would it? Does he actually really bolster your ruck stocks? Considering who Bevo chose to play ahead of him late last year...

My thoughts would be let him go on his inflated contract, if he demands one, and get a value ruck (Nankervis/Hickey/Stef tier competitor) in place.

If I was ranking Dogs on importance of keeping for the current tilt, I'd be keeping all of Bont, Macrae, Libba, Dunkley, Smith, Daniel, Dale, Keath, Naughton, Bruce and because his salary is some Pies, Treloar ahead of him (not counting the likes of JUH & Darcy, although they aren't going to be forced out cap wise). He'd probably be on par with Hunter, Duryea and Crozier for me - those are the sorts of guys I'd be thinking English is competing with.

All comes down to salary demands, but I'd not be risking losing any of the first 11 (well, maybe Bruce considering age - but that places a fair bit of time pressure on JUH and Darcy) to accommodate a bidding war for English. He can stay and have a good shot at a flag, or chase the dollars. I'm not desperate if I'm Beveridge.
What decent ruck is available though?

The rucks (or ruck/forwards) OOC this year are:
Tim English
Darcy Fort
Rhys Stanley
Levi Casboult
Ben McEvoy
Luke Jackson
Todd Goldstein
Tristan Xerri
Samson Ryan
Paddy Ryder
Rohan Marshall
Tom Campbell
Callum Sinclair
Nic Nat

Hardly an inspiring bunch when you consider Marshall and Jackson would be virtually untouchable.
The time to target a mature ruck was last year and we missed the boat on the two rucks we asked about. Sadly the two rucks I wanted us to target (Strachan and Lynch) we didn't seem to talk to.

Tim English
Darcy Fort
Rhys Stanley
Levi Casboult
Ben McEvoy
Luke Jackson
Todd Goldstein
Tristan Xerri
Samson Ryan
Paddy Ryder
Rohan Marshall
Tom Campbell
Callum Sinclair
Nic Nat

Hardly an inspiring bunch when you consider Marshall and Jackson would be virtually untouchable.
The time to target a mature ruck was last year and we missed the boat on the two rucks we asked about. Sadly the two rucks I wanted us to target (Strachan and Lynch) we didn't seem to talk to.
Realistically we will need 2 if English leaves. It’s hard enough finding 1.

If someone offers him the "rest of career" contract he plays with them until he retires. Whether that's Freo, Gold Coast, Bulldogs, Melbourne, GWS, Sydney - who knows who wants someone to play a bit of ruck and play tall forward.

I'm leaning towards him trying to leave again, but given he is under contract for two seasons I think Freo make a fuss of it.

Meek is key. If he steps up and Darcy can fill the Lobb void forward then Freo is a better team.
It almost seems a waste of Darcy to use him forward. He’s a genuine gun number 1 ruck.

Tim English
Darcy Fort
Rhys Stanley
Levi Casboult
Ben McEvoy
Luke Jackson
Todd Goldstein
Tristan Xerri
Samson Ryan
Paddy Ryder
Rohan Marshall
Tom Campbell
Callum Sinclair
Nic Nat

Mason Cox should also be on that list

It almost seems a waste of Darcy to use him forward. He’s a genuine gun number 1 ruck.

I agree. It all requires Meek fulfilling his potential because where Sean Darcy is a #1 bull hitout ruck, Lloyd Meek is a bull clearance ruck and hopefully we get to see plenty of that this season.

Tim English
Darcy Fort
Rhys Stanley
Levi Casboult
Ben McEvoy
Luke Jackson
Todd Goldstein
Tristan Xerri
Samson Ryan
Paddy Ryder
Rohan Marshall
Tom Campbell
Callum Sinclair
Nic Nat

Mason Cox will/is available.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

he's pretty talented but i reckon if the dogs lose Tim English, Toby Mclean and maybe dunkley they wouldn't be too unhappy from a salary-cap : performance equation.

a cheaper more 'pure' ruckman and let the forward roles be filled by naughton, JUH, bruce isn't a negative imo

Gonna be plenty of arguments on here regarding his worth. We’ve put 5 years into him and he showed a lot before Naughton killed his jaw.

Dogs fans would see that. Eagles fans would see his softness (which is fair). Highly doubt anyone will agree.
Is English better as a ruck who can rotate forward or a forward who can ruck a bit?

I feel that English would work well with Darcy or Marshall in a 2 ruck side.

Is English better as a ruck who can rotate forward or a forward who can ruck a bit?

I feel that English would work well with Darcy or Marshall in a 2 ruck side.

Better forward / ruck maybe 50/50 time. Word is though he wants to be a #1 ruck. Needs to get more physical if he’s ever going to succeed in that position.

Marshall and Sean Darcy are miles in front of him at present.

Last edited:
Our ruck stocks a poo so it would be horrible for us if he left.
I suspect if it comes to a cash battle West Coast will have more than we do (in cap space) by the end of this year.

Unpopular opinion maybe but if you can turn English leaving into another decent ruckman on less money I'd call that a win.

He's 205cm tall and at 25 years old this year not even the definite #1 ruckman. He was only moved into the ruck full time when Martin wasn't available in 2021, and he's a bit underwhelming.

Most years players like Stef Martin, Jon Ceglar, Tom Hickey etc. move clubs. There are only so many #1 and #2 spots going. On exposed form English is a #2, so paying him as a #1 would be a mistake.

Unpopular opinion maybe but if you can turn English leaving into another decent ruckman on less money I'd call that a win.

He's 205cm tall and at 25 years old this year not even the definite #1 ruckman. He was only moved into the ruck full time when Martin wasn't available in 2021, and he's a bit underwhelming.

Most years players like Stef Martin, Jon Ceglar, Tom Hickey etc. move clubs. There are only so many #1 and #2 spots going. On exposed form English is a #2, so paying him as a #1 would be a mistake.
I posted the OOC ruckmen earlier in this thread - it's an uninspiring list.
That means any decent ruckmen available we'll have to pay overs for so there may be no opportunity to save much cash/draft capital anyway.

A couple of rucks I liked re-signed last year - Strachan and Lloyd Meek. I wanted us to chase Max Lynch too but it seems we didn;t even ask the question. I really like Timmy as a forward/ruck, not so much as a no 1 ruck.

I posted the OOC ruckmen earlier in this thread - it's an uninspiring list.
That means any decent ruckmen available we'll have to pay overs for so there may be no opportunity to save much cash/draft capital anyway.

A couple of rucks I liked re-signed last year - Strachan and Lloyd Meek. I wanted us to chase Max Lynch too but it seems we didn;t even ask the question. I really like Timmy as a forward/ruck, not so much as a no 1 ruck.
If we lost Tim English I hope we chase Lloyd Meek

If we lost Tim English I hope we chase Lloyd Meek
He signed late last year until the end of 2023. If we wanted him we would have chased him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back