List Mgmt. Tim Kelly remains a Cat for 2019

How long will Tim Kelly last at Geelong?

• He will return to WA in the 2018 trade period

• He will play at Geelong in 2019 but return to WA at end 2019

• He will sign a long term deal at Geelong

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 16, 2012
Sector 7g
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Bendigo Bank Cats
Super-interested in this and reckon it'll deserve its own thread. Now I'd love to see this boy in the hoops for the next 8-10 years but we need to be realistic, and smart. Assuming the go-home factor is irrepressible, in which case we have two options, my thoughts -

2018 draft - if the kid wants to leave, let's rip the bandaid off. Currently WC hold 22 and 34 which rules them out in my opinion. Fremantles pick 6 and Sean Darcy would be much more palatable and not wide of the mark for mine. Could give us a genuine ruck and class midfielder to replace Kelly for the next decade plus. This is where I think we should be aiming.

2019 draft - possibility of both clubs fighting over him but he will be another year older and out of contract, so not ideal.

Haven't been here much lately so if this is already a topic my apologies. Thoughts?

Super-interested in this and reckon it'll deserve its own thread. Now I'd love to see this boy in the hoops for the next 8-10 years but we need to be realistic, and smart. Assuming the go-home factor is irrepressible, in which case we have two options, my thoughts -

2018 draft - if the kid wants to leave, let's rip the bandaid off. Currently WC hold 22 and 34 which rules them out in my opinion. Fremantles pick 6 and Sean Darcy would be much more palatable and not wide of the mark for mine. Could give us a genuine ruck and class midfielder to replace Kelly for the next decade plus. This is where I think we should be aiming.

2019 draft - possibility of both clubs fighting over him but he will be another year older and out of contract, so not ideal.

Haven't been here much lately so if this is already a topic my apologies. Thoughts?
Unless the eagles supply a quality player they can * off. Low First round pick MINUMUM.

Obviously want to hold onto him, but if that's not possible I can see him heading to Perth for similar to what we initially gave up for him - a 2nd rounder, as unpalatable as it may be. Obviously he's worth far more than that but I can't see us driving a hard bargain. Fingers crossed we aren't put in that position and he and his family stick it out with us.

Look if he is home sick and wants to go home we might as well do a trade now ( deep down I'd be shitty ) but let's get the deal done now instead of just giving us pain for 12 months in thinking of what his going to do.

^ seriously though, this whole hysteria has raised its head from Ralph comment and the family's return from a mid-winter break for the bye. It's natural to have home-sickness pangs after a such a visit. Once things are back into the routine....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately I think your are very optimistic ... Freo 2nd pick is in the 70's so they will not be wanting to trade that out. ..but they have a couple of players that would interest us.. WC first pick atm is around 22...but they have three players that could earn them comp picks. I would want an R1 or he can play on again.. other clubs rely on us being malleable , I hope in this case that they are far harder.

What picks do the WA teams have? For me it would have to be very high with a KPP available.
or
proven good players or rising star types, more than 1 at least that want to come to Vic
Maybe a get a good ruck or forwards coach as steak knives? :)
At any rate, must play hard ball in this situation.

How about this? ( keep in mind Geelong are soft when it comes to getting a good deal for the club)
Sean Darcy and there 2019 3rd round draft pick. And they have Kelly.. .

Some serious overrating of Kelly here. I like him and hope he stays. But if we goes we will get a late first round pick if that.

The only players that have been traded for top 10 picks in recent years are the likes of Dangerfield, Treloar, O’Meara, Charlie Dixon, Prestia who were far more established than TK. There’s the Lachie Weller for pick 2 scenario but Gold Coast is crazy so that doesn’t count!

How about this? ( keep in mind Geelong are soft when it comes to getting a good deal for the club)
Sean Darcy and there 2019 3rd round draft pick. And they have Kelly.. .

Would love Darcy but with Sandilands likely to retire this year (end of 2019 at latest) surely Freo wouldn’t let him go.

B/c Kelly has shown FAR more than Caddy and Christensen at the same age, let alone the same number of games.
Not really. You're overrating Kelly and forgetting Geelong's approach to trading if you think they'd get a high pick for him. Geelong can't really push for such a pick anyway given teams are aware they've given away comparable players for a lot less. A team like WCE will be reasonably expecting a pick in the 20s to get it done.

Would love Darcy but with Sandilands likely to retire this year (end of 2019 at latest) surely Freo wouldn’t let him go.
But we don't want Kelly to leave either:p. Freo do have some young rucks on there list that have been playing when Sandy been out injured.

Lets be honest he will leave... We also also get sweet * all in return in true Geelong style. Waste of a pick looking back considering how obvious it was he would want to return home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back