Tim Kelly Back To Geelong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hutch needed something to tweak ears is my read of it.
Tom Mitchell to Swans, and Neale to Freo are not crazy, but Kelly was insistent on leaving for family reasons. Have those reasons lessened?

not at all

even if he divorced his wife, I don't think he would be separated from the kids.
He stays and reaps his contract.
Agreed. Just bizarre when it was mooted.

Spearman

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 15, 2017
expatriated in East Asia
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Ohio State Buckeyes
Classic media conversation starter/click bait. See joking comments on a forum about how TK should feel sorry playing in such a rabble, put it out in the media as a unsubstantiated speculation. People go "What!?" "No way" yadda yadda ...

After what he went thru to leave.
No way.

WC would luv to get his TPP off the books.

but no one is gonna pay that and hes contracted....

just no .

GO Catters

I think the trap is thinking he would revert to as good a player as he was with us. He will no longer be a add-on to a good midfield, he would be our number 1 midfielder if he came back (with age catching up with Selwood and Dangerfield), and all the pressure that comes with that.

not at all

even if he divorced his wife, I don't think he would be separated from the kids.
He stays and reaps his contract.

Exactly. In his family situation he cant leave WA.

Mike Myers No GIF

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
Not for what it would cost to get him back...

Given we destroyed West Coast and their drafting ability for 2 years, there's no chance it would be an easy deal to undertake.

Not to mention his wife completely defaming the club, has left a sour taste in my mouth. Be happy if I never had to hear her 'opinion' again.

Amazing player and guy, but the baggage, draft cost and where we are in our flag journey (we're about a year behind WC in our rebuild path where our drop off will be next year but not as fast), all combines for a big fat NO on my behalf.

Hutchy just floating something and talking s**t as per usual lol. Doesn't work for anyone involved.

Dec 11, 2009
AFL Club
Geelong
Can't see how there's any basis in fact for this possibility at all.

His partner dragged him back to W.A by the ear, and it's incomprehensible as to how their family situation has changed such they'd consider it.

Unless she is troubled by his moroseness after the weekly thrashing.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
The way I read this whole situation is that he did something he probably didn’t want to do but he did it for the right reasons and to be a good husband and father and he has my full respect for that.

But as someone who played football more or less for fun prior to his discovery by the Cats, it has probably taken a real toll on him to play in a side that is getting bollocked regularly and even when they weren’t, he hadn’t QUITE found his feet in their midfield (though I think his output was actually quite good relative to some of the criticism he received).

I think he would be happy with the choice he’s made as someone who obviously puts his wife and kids first.

But I don’t think any part of him would be happy with the decision if family were not a factor. To get a sudden opportunity at the top level with a regular contender and then go to a side who looked competitive but soon enough have deteriorated into a rabble would be hard to take

Kobe Gryant

extremely overqualified chemistry teacher
Jul 31, 2021
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Lakers
Not for what it would cost to get him back...

Given we destroyed West Coast and their drafting ability for 2 years, there's no chance it would be an easy deal to undertake.

Not to mention his wife completely defaming the club, has left a sour taste in my mouth. Be happy if I never had to hear her 'opinion' again.

Amazing player and guy, but the baggage, draft cost and where we are in our flag journey (we're about a year behind WC in our rebuild path where our drop off will be next year but not as fast), all combines for a big fat NO on my behalf.

Hutchy just floating something and talking s**t as per usual lol. Doesn't work for anyone involved.

Given his contract not stacking up with his performance I'd say it would be picks or salary, not both. They can't ask clubs to pay a player 400k more than he's currently worth, plus early picks on top of that. It won't happen.

Shadow89

Cancelled
10k Posts AFL Fantasy Div 6+ Winner 2021
Feb 20, 2018
Given his contract not stacking up with his performance I'd say it would be picks or salary, not both. They can't ask clubs to pay a player 400k more than he's currently worth, plus early picks on top of that. It won't happen.
The optics on it would be just awful though. TK for picks 14, 24, 37 and a Future 1st...plus 800K in salary over the last 2 years...now we'll pay some of his salary in return for Geelong taking him back at half price/we'll take a mid first but you pay his salary.

There is no way that the Eagles can let him go, and walk away doing well. They dug themselves this hole by chasing him from the night of the draft, and now they have to live in it. Only way out, is if they trade him to another club like Freo (where his manager burned his bridges) or to a club like GC or Essendon - who need decent goal-kicking mids.

Dealing with us is just a complete no go, unless they want to be the complete laughingstock of the AFL world (if they haven't attained that title already)

Goggin Our Best

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2011
sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
After what he went thru to leave.
No way.

WC would luv to get his TPP off the books.

but no one is gonna pay that and hes contracted....

just no .

GO Catters

Spot on - 900k a year - 6 year contract - that is a disaster for W/Coast

I think some clubs - especially some who have recent success - and then they get a little bit too cockky - and then pay massive overs

Another prime example is when Leigh Colbert ( and when he went to Nth Melb he played average football - he wasnt quick ) walked out on Geel - there was an absolute bidding/frenzy war for his services - Terry Wallace publicly stated - we want Leigh Colbert at the W/Bulldogs - Eddie McGUIRE - i think it was in his early days as Coll president - he said exactly the same publicly- we want him at Collingwood

Then Nth Melb ( exactly like W/Coast ) had the recent success - still had Carey and a few ageing stars - and they were miles overconfident - and as result paid massive overs for Colbert - who in my opinion was a good ordinary footballer - and that is exactly how he played for Nth Melb

That was a disaster trade - and in my opinion the beginning of the end for them ( they have done nothing since and havent even looked like winning a flag ) - we got a very young Cam Mooney ( vital cog in Cats flags ) plus draft picks

And you fast forward - to 2007 - in that QF ( probably one of my all time favourite Geel games ) where the Cats destroyed NM by over 100 pts - Mooney ( their young player - who they gave to us ) is starring at CHF in that game - then a couple of weeks later kicks 6 in the GF

That atrocious trade by North Melb - look it isnt quite as bad as the 2 young Danniher brothers for Neville Fields - but it does give it a run for its money

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back