Tim Kelly Back To Geelong?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was a reason he took so long to get on an AFL list, at Geelong he played with a passion to get the big contract to go home, now home and on a long term contract that passion is gone, it was always a worry this would happen, never expected it to be so clear when it did.

I hope its he's carrying an injury or something and his form will come back when fit, but reality is I think he needed Geelong and Geelong needed him, and he wont be coming back now. He burnt that bridge.

That's true. Truth be told I don't think he loves footy, he's just bloody good at it when he gives it a proper crack.

Do not remind me of the existence of "best on"

Just the worst brain fart of a program. Frustrating because they divert coverage from a game where a side has won. Fans want player interviews, coach interviews, fan reactions. Whoever came up with it needs to never work in the industry again

It's Fox Footy's answer to the Matty Johns' shows, and let's just say it hasn't worked.

It's Fox Footy's answer to the Matty Johns' shows, and let's just say it hasn't worked.

This. The people on Matty Johns are not trying to be anyone or anything - Matty has always been a clown, Fletch as always been cheeky and funny, Hindmarsh has always been self deprecating and funny. The shows work perfectly on Thursday and Sunday. All best on ground looks like is a very bad attempt to replicate it

Think the critiquing of TK is a bit out of line.

I don't think he "put" us through anything. Heck, he hardly spoke his entire time here. He kept his mouth shut and played spectacular football as a young father with three kids under the age of five, two of which suffering from special needs.

His issue was never with the GFC, that was made blindingly clear. He had his reasons and he kept those largely quiet. The wife and manager? Well...that's a different story, but that's not his fault.

He's a pretty incredible person. Was on a rookie salary, so you can't even argue he was being paid well. Certainly not to the level of the top 10 player in the competition he was when he was here. Played his guts out and finished his contract with all those issues going on at home with his final game for us being BOG in a prelim. Good on him I say.

We can all laugh and joke all we want...there's humour in this even being a hypothetical. But actually being frustrated with Tim Kelly the person is just so out of touch. There's far bigger things than football. I'd like to think we're all old enough, or rather mature enough, to know that.

I don't think he "put" us through anything. Heck, he hardly spoke his entire time here. He kept his mouth shut and played spectacular football as a young father with three kids under the age of five, two of which suffering from special needs.

His issue was never with the GFC, that was made blindingly clear. He had his reasons and he kept those largely quiet. The wife and manager? Well...that's a different story, but that's not his fault.

He's a pretty incredible person. Was on a rookie salary, so you can't even argue he was being paid well. Certainly not to the level of the top 10 player in the competition he was when he was here. Played his guts out and finished his contract with all those issues going on at home with his final game for us being BOG in a prelim. Good on him I say.

We can all laugh and joke all we want...there's humour in this even being a hypothetical. But actually being frustrated with Tim Kelly the person is just so out of touch. There's far bigger things than football. I'd like to think we're all old enough, or rather mature enough, to know that.

Brilliantly said.

Could not agree more

This. The people on Matty Johns are not trying to be anyone or anything - Matty has always been a clown, Fletch as always been cheeky and funny, Hindmarsh has always been self deprecating and funny. The shows work perfectly on Thursday and Sunday. All best on ground looks like is a very bad attempt to replicate it

Exactly. It's humorous because they're actually being themselves, not some PC humour version of themselves.

Maybe it's more to do with our game as a whole, but theres no one on that show who was regarded as a 'character' or 'larrikin' at any point in time. They're all as vanilla as it gets (And no, being a bogan from the country doesn't make you a 'character' Browny)

As you say, the blokes on Matty Johns' shows have always been characters, so it doesn't feel forced when they behave that way on TV.

I’m taking a different approach to the majority of the board. I think there is something there. It could be something small as a manager posturing that Kelly is unhappy in WC and could leave if they don’t make changes, or could be more. But I’m not in the camp of “hutchy is doing a “what if?”” Especially when you see the other two names he threw out there.
For what it’s worth, I like it, pending the deal. He’s worth more to WC being traded right now than staying, and we don’t need him, so I think we could reach a fair agreement for him without paying overs.

I’m taking a different approach to the majority of the board. I think there is something there. It could be something small as a manager posturing that Kelly is unhappy in WC and could leave if they don’t make changes, or could be more. But I’m not in the camp of “hutchy is doing a “what if?”” Especially when you see the other two names he threw out there.
For what it’s worth, I like it, pending the deal. He’s worth more to WC being traded right now than staying, and we don’t need him, so I think we could reach a fair agreement for him without paying overs.

Isn't is ironic that the "we don't need him" argument is exactly the argument that West Coast used on us?

Who were the other two names?

Its funny how happy fans here were with the deal. We then proceed to lose a Grand Final after leading. Kelly could have been the difference

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its funny how happy fans here were with the deal. We then proceed to lose a Grand Final after leading. Kelly could have been the difference

Had we had Kelly or Cameron we probably could have won. It was a shame it fell in the in-between year.

We are a long way from being in that situation again, unfortunately.

We will never know, but we also need to consider that TK's absence in 2020 allowed Guthrie to go to another level (AA that season). Menegola also had a career best year in 2020 and was considered by most to be extremely unlucky to miss AA selection. I don't know if those two players could have had the seasons they did if TK was still in our team that year.

You have covered just about all of it for me.I'd add returning to WA with his pockets bulging with West Coast cash would bring it's own pressures,mates and hangers on looking to help him manage his new found wealth lots of distractions he never had in Geelong and I believe it's taken the edge of his footy.

We will never know, but we also need to consider that TK's absence in 2020 allowed Guthrie to go to another level (AA that season). Menegola also had a career best year in 2020 and was considered by most to be extremely unlucky to miss AA selection. I don't know if those two players could have had the seasons they did if TK was still in our team that year.
I'd put that down more to the shortened game than the absence of Kelly.

I'd put that down more to the shortened game than the absence of Kelly.
Guthrie definitely relished the added responsibility of dedicated MF role in Kelly's absence. All season.

From a purely footy pov, what would our MF be like next year with Kelly?
Gone would be Higgins, Dahlhaus, maybe Selwood.
Parfitt, Guthrie, Kelly, Duncan, Cooper S, Menegola, Danger...pretty impressive

That's how I regarded the evolution of Paul Couch after Diesel Williams left us.
Would Kelly replace Smith?
Would Smith have another year in him?

We've had a couple of days of fun, but at this stage there seems nothing substantial behind this apparent rumour and thus not much to discuss at the moment

If/when something of substance behind the suggestion comes out, like Tim Kelly actually asking for a trade to Geelong, then we'll reopen the discussion - but until then not sure this warrants it's own thread when we've got a trading & draft thread: Rumour - GFC 2022 Player Trading, Drafting FA, Rumours and Wish lists

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back