Recommitted Tim Kelly [exploring trade options home to West Coast]

Remove this Banner Ad

He entered the draft he knew he could go anywhere as a result so can’t complain, shouldn’t have entered if he didn’t want to move - is the worst argument. The afl restricts entry, he had no other option but to enter the draft in order to play afl and Make the most $’s he can from his skills. He’s then perfectly entitled to turn around and ask for a trade.

Just as an aside. Do WC and Freo ever actually enter competitive bidding? I cant recall it happening, it always seems to be one or the other.

All the time. But it’s when they approach a player. Once a player has indicated they will accept the offer of Freo/Eagles the other club doesn’t bid, as no point if the player has indicated he wants to go to the other.

Just like Carlton and Saints didn’t actually offer anything once Shiel said he wanted to go to Essendon.

Some of the comments in this thread seriously lack empathy to me. I'd give Kelly the benefit of the doubt. He may well have taken the opportunity to be drafted in good faith and issues arise later.

Doesn't excuse his managers comments which were really unhelpful. A bad outcome happened and quite likelythise comments helped

I cant see that either club did anything wrong though. WC had no duty of care, and Geelong had his representative stating it wasn't about compassionate reasons.

Just as an aside. Do WC and Freo ever actually enter competitive bidding? I cant recall it happening, it always seems to be one or the other.
Apparently there is an unwritten agreement or understanding. Until Bellend got in the role that was.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Some of the comments in this thread seriously lack empathy to me. I'd give Kelly the benefit of the doubt. He may well have taken the opportunity to be drafted in good faith and issues arise later.

Doesn't excuse his managers comments which were really unhelpful. A bad outcome happened and quite likelythise comments helped

I cant see that either club did anything wrong though. WC had no duty of care, and Geelong had his representative stating it wasn't about compassionate reasons.

Bell has broken the agreement. I doubt it will work out well for either side. Trade wars never do.

All the time. But it’s when they approach a player. Once a player has indicated they will accept the offer of Freo/Eagles the other club doesn’t bid, as no point if the player has indicated he wants to go to the other.

Just like Carlton and Saints didn’t actually offer anything once Shiel said he wanted to go to Essendon.
We have been able to lever one Vic ckub against another though at times. EG the Tigers and Pies in the Treloar trade. I agree it was between us and the Bombers once Shiel asked to go to them.

I don't get why people care so much about this outcome. The Kelly camp always said they were happy to stay at Geelong if a trade could not be worked out. Knowing that Geelong would be irresoponsible to trade him for anything but overs .

Most of the Freo stuff is pretty unfounded. Maybe they offered 11, 14 and 31, Fyfe + Neale...

There isn't much to be gained from a bidding war. I don't think we ever had the currency to get Hogan, but if Lobb elected to move to Freo then we would've just moved on to other things.

Find it strange that this deal didn't get done, especially with to well run clubs.

If the rumour is true, that WC offered, pick 20, 22 and a future 2nd, surprised the Cats didn't accept that. Next year, even if Kelly has similar output, his value will drop slightly, given he is out of contract.

Think Cats made a mistake in not trading him, with a longer term view of adding quality this year, through the draft

Find it strange that this deal didn't get done, especially with to well run clubs.

If the rumour is true, that WC offered, pick 20, 22 and a future 2nd, surprised the Cats didn't accept that. Next year, even if Kelly has similar output, his value will drop slightly, given he is out of contract.

Think Cats made a mistake in not trading him, with a longer term view of adding quality this year, through the draft

The Cats think they are a contender, from that point of view it makes sense not to trade him to a rival unless you demand the world and they offer it. There are plenty on the Cats board who would have traded him, including myself.

The Cats think they are a contender, from that point of view it makes sense not to trade him to a rival unless you demand the world and they offer it. There are plenty on the Cats board who would have traded him, including myself.

No doubt, that was one of many reasons why he was retained, yet it is rolling the dice, something not really associated with the way Cats do business.

Will be interesting to see what happens next year

With Blakey, Thomas, Quaynor and West all rated inside the top 20 and those clubs having traded down the picks 20 and 22 will likely become picks 24 and 26 at best when they're eventually taken. With players like McFadyen, Will Kelly, Bailey Scott, Kieren Briggs and Buku Khamis being projected to go in that range it's possible those picks could end up barely inside the top 30. Picks 27 and 29 sure doesn't sound as good as 20 and 22. I imagine this is one reason Geelong was adamant that they needed the 2019 1st rounder to be involved.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Blakey, Thomas, Quaynor and West all rated inside the top 20 and those clubs having traded down the picks 20 and 22 will likely become picks 24 and 26 at best when they're eventually taken. With players like McFadyen, Will Kelly, Bailey Scott, Kieren Briggs and Buku Khamis being projected to go in that range it's possible those picks could end up barely inside the top 30. Picks 27 and 29 sure doesn't sound as good as 20 and 22. I imagine this is one reason Geelong was adamant that they needed the 2019 1st rounder to be involved.
This is silly. All the mocks have accounted for academy and f/s picks. And there are still quality kids projected at the spot that we will now pick.

Its clear Geelong just didn’t want to trade him unless they got massive overs. That’s their prerogative, and the have to manage the fallout, being a potentially an unhappy player and him going for a lot cheaper next year. Of course geelong might hope that they can get him happy and even extend him.

We’ll all know who “won” the non-trade this time next year.

Ok, so if those picks are that terrible, would you have done a straight swap for next years first? I wonder if that was offered??

It doesn't matter what pick you get, Geelong doesn't get access to those players.

Pick 20 would have been the 20th best player a valuable to Geelong, even if it does become the 25th selection.

I always find this sort of analysis amusing, given opposition sides will never get their hands on these players. The same players would have been available to you in the draft, whether the picks are in the mid or late 20's

It doesn't matter what pick you get, Geelong doesn't get access to those players.

Pick 20 would have been the 20th best player a valuable to Geelong, even if it does become the 25th selection.
Yes, but the point is moreso that p20 doesn't buy the 20th best player, it buys the 25th-best or whatever the case may well be.

The picks may shift out but so will the players that were available at PIcks 20-22 ..

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I always find this sort of analysis amusing, given opposition sides will never get their hands on these players. The same players would have been available to you in the draft, whether the picks are in the mid or late 20's

But when people talk about it being a good draft they're including the academy and f/s players in that. My only point is that obviously pick 20 in a draft with a heap of academy and f/s prospects isn't as valuable as pick 20 in a draft with no academy or f/s prospects. The fact is pick 20 and 22 in a strong draft weren't on the table. It was pick 20 and 22 once a bunch of the best players were removed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back