Recommitted Tim Kelly [exploring trade options home to West Coast]

Remove this Banner Ad

You're right in that the cats knocked back a great deal but they have a few reasonably good skinny kids who aren't quite ready, which is what 20 and 22 would be. Kelly staying stops us having to throw kids into the fire before they're ready. They're probably thinking a year of getting games into Fogarty, Parfitt, Narkle, Constable in either the 2s or off HF/HB rather than put them in the grinder is worth the value slide from Kelly coming out of contract. I'm not sure I agree it's the right decision but could understand it. Plus, if his development tracks as well as Tom Stewart's then who says his value goes down at all?
Totally agree.

Also, Trading out Kelly next year might be used to get in another player who can play straight and not skinny kids who might not make it.

Got a feeling you guys will keep topping up.

I think Geelong just knocked back a great deal. Considering their aging list, they had the opportunity to get some youth for the future with picks 12, 20 & 22.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If Stephen wells thought we could pick up two elite guns with pick 20 and 22 don’t you think he would have accepted the deal??

It is becoming quite obvious from the way things have panned out that the recruiters don’t rate the depth of this draft at all. The top ten or so seem to be having clubs sprawling over them, then into the 20’s nobody seems to rate what will be available.

In a draft like 01 I am quite positive wells would have accepted picks 20/22 and happily traded Tim.

I think what happened is a clear evaluation of those picks in this draft and what the general consensus is on them, which is average

so how do west coast intend to make it happen next year?. As far as I can see your 1st round pick is likely to be high teens. You will have to give up a player.

Let him go into the draft and Kelly then says 'I will not play for anyone but West Coast and I mean it!'

No other club will take him (except possibly Freo coz they are jerks)

If Stephen wells thought we could pick up two elite guns with pick 20 and 22 don’t you think he would have accepted the deal??

It is becoming quite obvious from the way things have panned out that the recruiters don’t rate the depth of this draft at all. The top ten or so seem to be having clubs sprawling over them, then into the 20’s nobody seems to rate what will be available.

In a draft like 01 I am quite positive wells would have accepted picks 20/22 and happily traded Tim.

I think what happened is a clear evaluation of those picks in this draft and what the general consensus is on them, which is average

I reckon if Gaz had have announced his retirement Wells would have done it. Your club is gearing up for one last crack while Gaz is still there IMO (surely it's his last season)

Strange how Hogan and Beams aren't dickheads for specifically saying that they wanted to be traded to Freo and Collingwood, respectively. I guess that rule only applies to Kelly because... I dunno, reasons.

Nah, I see Beams similarly, as he could have gone to a lot of other clubs if they wanted him (not sure if they did).

As for Hogan, did WCE have a stated interest in/feasible offer for him, and did Hogan explicitly say "I won't play for the Eagles"? I don't think so. If I'm wrong let me know though.

It's one thing to elect a club, it's another to say "aww I really wanna go home...please do me this favour, but I won't play for the one other team in the state."

I reckon if Gaz had have announced his retirement Wells would have done it. Your club is gearing up for one last crack while Gaz is still there IMO (surely it's his last season)

Doubt it.

How many clubs do you think would trade their runner up in the BF who is 24 years old for anything less than premiums??

He is rated very high down at geelong. Higher than what west coast rate him.

Let him go into the draft and Kelly then says 'I will not play for anyone but West Coast and I mean it!'

You realise that's draft tampering right? The AFL banned Brett Chalmers from playing for Collingwood for 3 years for doing exactly that. Literally called every club ahead of Collingwood in the draft and said he wouldn't play for them. Good luck with that

Nah, I see Beams similarly, as he could have gone to a lot of other clubs if they wanted him (not sure if they did).

As for Hogan, did WCE have a stated interest in/feasible offer for him, and did Hogan explicitly say "I won't play for the Eagles"? I don't think so. If I'm wrong let me know though.

It's one thing to elect a club, it's another to say "aww I really wanna go home...please do me this favour, but I won't play for the one other team in the state."

Victorians have 10 teams they could go to when they say "aww I realy wanna go home" but they always nominate a club and get there 99.9% of the time. It's really no different

You're right in that the cats knocked back a great deal but they have a few reasonably good skinny kids who aren't quite ready, which is what 20 and 22 would be. Kelly staying stops us having to throw kids into the fire before they're ready. They're probably thinking a year of getting games into Fogarty, Parfitt, Narkle, Constable in either the 2s or off HF/HB rather than put them in the grinder is worth the value slide from Kelly coming out of contract. I'm not sure I agree it's the right decision but could understand it. Plus, if his development tracks as well as Tom Stewart's then who says his value goes down at all?
What was to stop Geelong picking up one, or even two, ready made mids in the draft?One mature age recruit and one kid sets you up for the present and the future. Seems a strange call to me, but maybe there is a statement being made that they deem more important.

I have no horse in this discussion, just interest as an ex WAFL player.

What happens if Kelly's form falls off next season ( second year blues ) ?.

His value is lessened and the Eagles might be lacklustre about chasing him. Could be more interesting times ahead.

Player managers do a lot of damage at times, need to play their cards closer to their chests.

Just highlights once again the massive double standard that exists in the league

There is no double standard.

Kelly said he wanted to go home and geelong tried to make that happen with Fremantle and even came to an agreement which kelly rejected.

Kelly’s preference of clubs is not a concern or issue for geelong. There is no reason it should come into the frame as a reason for us to take Unders. We tried to deal with west coast like asked, which we didn’t even have to, but we did out of respect.

Geelong did everything within reason and merit.

West coast are under the logic that because he picked a club, geelong just needs to accept whatever west coast feels is the right value to send to geelong. It doesn’t work like that.

If it’s family reasons, then he would have accepted Fremantle as a viable choice.
Since this isn’t the case, geelong were in no situation where trading a player for less than what they valued him as to a club just because he feels like playing for them was some sort of factor in the decision making.

The club was very logical respectable and admirable in the process.

Everyone on the geelong board is thrilled with how we went about it and so am I.

The worst thing kelly could have done was eliminate Fremantle publicly while saying I need to go home for compassionate grounds.

Made an absolute fool of himself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That very rarely happens, no manager would accept that as a conclusion. If Kelly still wants to only play for the eagles at the end of next season, a deal will be worked on that satisfies both parties.

Look at Lever last year; out of contract and still a good deal was done. Regardless of what us supporters blather about, clubs generally work things out.

That very rarely happens, no manager would accept that as a conclusion. If Kelly still wants to only play for the eagles at the end of next season, a deal will be worked on that satisfies both parties.

Look at Lever last year; out of contract and still a good deal was done. Regardless of what us supporters blather about, clubs generally work things out.

Pretty sure the AFL would consider that draft tampering under the rules.

Could very well have a case if things went down like that.

There is obviously a good reason we don’t see it happen and every club picks up star guns for draft pick 50.

Correct, very much doubt TK walks to the draft. A deal will be done. It doesn't sound like there is any bad blood between the clubs, both professional and have an understanding of where each other is coming from, as you'd expect.

From AFL.com
LIVING in Perth with a young family proved too difficult for Sam Mitchell, who explained his reasoning for returning to Hawthorn as an assistant coach on a three-year deal.

Mitchell had been contracted as an assistant with West Coast until the end of 2020 but broke the deal due to how tough living on the other side of the country proved to be.

"Perth is a great place, but it became apparent that with the heavy travel commitments and living in an isolated city away from our support network, was not conducive with a young family.

Sam a flog too?

Won't picks 20 & 22 go back a few more places because of academy/father son bidding?

So the deal was really for 26,28 and a future second (probably 30).

That Geelong bloke was right to turn it down. You'd be crazy to do it.

Can't believe that grub Barrett is the voice of reason here.

Eagles have screwed the pooch over a 12 pick downgrade in a future draft.

Rather not take the risk. If we finish 6th in 2019 as an example it would be pick 12 next year plus picks 20 and 22 for Kelly

Remove this Banner Ad

Back