Recommitted Tim Kelly [requested a trade to West Coast]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what i prefer

He goes to draft and Freo get him for free

I'm happy for WC or Freo to give Geelong something decent for him but Geelong chose to not trade him when he was contracted last season.

Both clubs don't need to overpay unless they go into a trading war with each other. I hope this doesn't happen as it wouldn't benifit either club.

Plenty of good players in the draft particularly where Freo sit at around pick 6.

Reality and greed are two very different things.

I'm happy for WC or Freo to give Geelong something decent for him but Geelong chose to not trade him when he was contracted last season.

Both clubs don't need to overpay unless they go into a trading war with each other. I hope this doesn't happen as it wouldn't benifit either club.

Plenty of good players in the draft particularly where Freo sit at around pick 6.

Reality and greed are two very different things.
Geelong mentality though... Don't trade him contracted, Then demand more uncontracted

Agree, bidding war is good for neither W.A team

I'd prefer to see Geelong get nothing because of how they kept his family hostage another season and the smug fans on the topic

He would fit in well at Freo too

The only thing that is certain is that there will be some salty BF posters from either Geelong or West Coast at the end of trade week.

The only gripe from Eagles supporters will be if we pay too much.

If we get him for a fair exchange or we take our picks to the draft we will be happy. If Freo pay way overs in $ and picks well thats great for Kelly and Geelong. Freo are desperate.

Go read the Eagles board. 99% of posters think he will cost too much in picks and potentially $$ and we arent desperate to need to break the bank to get him.

I'll be happy as long as it only costs net 1.5 1st rounders. So one 1st and a 2nd or 2 1sts with a 2nd coming back.

The only gripe from Eagles supporters will be if we pay too much.

If we get him for a fair exchange or we take our picks to the draft we will be happy. If Freo pay way overs in $ and picks well thats great for Kelly and Geelong. Freo are desperate.

Go read the Eagles board. 99% of posters think he will cost too much in picks and potentially $$ and we arent desperate to need to break the bank to get him.

I'll be happy as long as it only costs net 1.5 1st rounders. So one 1st and a 2nd or 2 1sts with a 2nd coming back.

Are Freo desperate

Basing it in bf not the actual club

Are Freo desperate

Basing it in bf not the actual club

Well they have a lot of players who have left, retired or may leave. Last year and this year.

They need to replace that lost quality and also have a bucket load of cap space to spend on someone.

They will have plenty of picks and likely could pay Kelly $500k more than any other club in year 1 and 2 just to spend up to 95% of the cap.

It wouldnt suprise anyone if they paid overs to land Kelly would it?

Comparing the two WA clubs the Eagles list is in pretty decent shape compared to Freo's and Freo needs to add some quality mature players to support the kids.

He is in the top 3 players at Geelong....actually probably only behind Dangerfield.

Anyone can have 1 good year. He has shown he is even better in year 2 so no doubt you can say Kelly is the real deal. Worth more now than last year. Free and WCE would love to have him and will fight it out unless Kelly tells Geelong where he wants to go and they then can’t play both clubs off.

He won’t go for peanuts and won’t walk for nothing. Kelly will also want big $$$ which he deserves. So I suspect he may go to Freo who are probably more in position to offer him the type of $$$ he wants. I wouldn’t be surprised if Freo swaps Cerra for Kelly (assuming the cats want him).

Well they have a lot of players who have left, retired or may leave. Last year and this year.

They need to replace that lost quality and also have a bucket load of cap space to spend on someone.

They will have plenty of picks and likely could pay Kelly $500k more than any other club in year 1 and 2 just to spend up to 95% of the cap.

It wouldnt suprise anyone if they paid overs to land Kelly would it?

Comparing the two WA clubs the Eagles list is in pretty decent shape compared to Freo's and Freo needs to add some quality mature players to support the kids.

They have had Neale leave last year who is the only decent player in years to leave the club.

So who are the other gun players in recent years who have left?

Players retire and are traded from all AFL clubs.

At least come with facts

They have had Neale leave last year who is the only decent player in years to leave the club.

So who are the other gun players in recent years who have left?

Players retire and are traded from all AFL clubs.

At least come with facts

B Hill this trade period most likely.

Mundy has one year left.

Sandilands and Ballantyne retiring opens cap space.

Kersten and Bennell another two senior spots and cap space gone even before the season ended.

Landon is another mid who wants out to Vic.

Not counting Neale and Weller over the past two years.

Thats a hell of alot of senior talent Freo's list manager would not have planned to leave. Weller, Neale, Landon and B Hill they would have planned to be there for years.

Is that factual enough?

So as I said Freo have a lot of list spots to fill, a lot of spare cash to spend AND a fair few draft picks to deal with. Much more than a normal stable club.

Do you really believe Freo's list movement are just the normal cycle?

B Hill this trade period most likely.

Mundy has one year left.

Sandilands and Ballantyne retiring opens cap space.

Kersten and Bennell another two senior spots and cap space gone even before the season ended.

Landon is another mid who wants out to Vic.

Not counting Neale and Weller over the past two years.

Thats a hell of alot of senior talent Freo's list manager would not have planned to leave. Weller, Neale, Landon and B Hill they would have planned to be there for years.

Is that factual enough?

So as I said Freo have a lot of list spots to fill, a lot of spare cash to spend AND a fair few draft picks to deal with. Much more than a normal stable club.

Do you really believe Freo's list movement are just the normal cycle?

Players retire all the time or get moved on. Your original post was depicting Freo as a mass exodus from players wanting out.

Freo will allow Hill to break contract if another club meets their trade demands.

Last edited:
Geelong mentality though... Don't trade him contracted, Then demand more uncontracted

I'd prefer to see Geelong get nothing because of how they kept his family hostage another season and the smug fans on the topic

Yeah how dare we pick a player up in the draft and hold him to his contract, you idiot, grow a brain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Players retire all the time or get moved on. Your original post was depecting Freo as a mass exodus from players wanting out.

Freo will allow Hill to break contract if another club meets their trade demands.

Players who have left or want to leave over the past two years and this year.

Weller
Neale
B Hill
Langdon

All best 22 mids in their prime. Thats a list managers knightmare on top of all the other sackings and retirements.

Players who have left or want to leave over the past two years and this year.

Weller
Neale
B Hill
Langdon

All best 22 mids in their prime. Thats a list managers knightmare on top of all the other sackings and retirements.

Have left Neale and Weller

Weller being a b grade player who Freo got overs for due to GC being desperate to trade for him under contract

Neale I've stated and Freo got something fair for him

Langdon and Hill hasn't happened yet but Langdon is out of contract and can't kick straight.

Have left Neale and Weller

Weller being a b grade player who Freo got overs for due to GC being desperate to trade for him under contract

Neale I've stated and Freo got something fair for him

Langdon and Hill hasn't happened yet but Langdon is out of contract and can't kick straight.

They are or were best 22 mids.

You are shifting goal posts. The discussion is about Freo needing to replace multiple best 22 players due to players leaving, retiring or being sacked. The number of best 22 players they need to replace is not the normal cycle hence they have to be become more active than normal.

They will have multiple 1st and 2nd rounders and a heap of cap space to use. Thats the discussion. But you say its just the normal cycle......it isnt.

They are or were best 22 mids.

You are shifting goal posts. The discussion is about Freo needing to replace multiple best 22 players due to players leaving, retiring or being sacked. The number of best 22 players they need to replace is not the normal cycle hence they have to be become more active than normal.

They will have multiple 1st and 2nd rounders and a heap of cap space to use. Thats the discussion. But you say its just the normal cycle......it isnt.
weller hasn't played mid, ever

Or he walks into the draft and you get nothing
Considering Geelong has treated him incredibly well and offered huge amount of off field support there is zero chance of that happening. His already done interviews thanking Geelong for how they've supported him and his family this year. It would be even more risky for Kelly with a young family and with the afl's draft tampering rules to put his future on the line and risk being assigned to a club he doesnt want to play for.

West Coast fans dont get trading. They want a player who's All Australian and a Brownlow favourite for about the same trade currency as Mitch Mcgovern was last year after an injury interrupted year. Not happening despite him not having a contract.

For all the threats of leaving for nothing it very, very rarely happens in reality. Tim Kelly's year was similar to Lachie Neales last season with us in terms of impact on the game and better than Brad Hills year this season in my view. If Freo does a straight swap after getting the first pick from the Saints (not certain that will happen) then that is the best case to get him to Freo. For the record Im not sure how anyone can criticise the finish to the year Tim's had. He was named in the best four players for Geelong in 4 of the last six games if you include the Collingwood game where his second half played a major role in their comeback.

West Coast fan mentality. A 25 year old mid who in his second season is in the top 7 for Brwonlow odds wont ever improve, because well he wont ok? No player ever improves on what they do in their second year (according to wc fans at least) Even though if he went to West Coast if he did get tagged he'd ease the pressure on Yeo, Shuey and Gaff. While if he didnt get tagged playing at West Coast he;d almost certainly have a better year than this year. Geelong only payed for the move of family over to help him and partner out, so yeah they've been horrible to him as well. The fact that he improved a heap on one season to the next normally increases not decreases trade value I would have thought. Considering Tim went from a good player to an All Australian and potential Brownlow contender in season 2019 probably means his stock has risen at a guess.

Last edited:
Yes, and the fact that we are dealing with Geelong so there's a bad guy tax added.
As opposed to West Coast? They didnt want Tim Kelly when he was offered at fair value last trading period because they didnt want to pay the huge extra burden of a future second to get the deal across the line. They now are so concerned by his need to get his family back to Perh their fans want to send him to the uncertainty of the afl draft because they 'care' so much about Tim's welfare.

It's really simple, Tim Kelly can nominate either West Coast or Fremantle, he has the right to that. Ultimately, Geelong will only trade him for what they see as the best deal, if he nominates West Coast, but Fremantle offer a better deal for Geelong, then they have every right to pursue Fremantle's offer. Same goes for if he nominated Fremantle, if West Coast offer a better deal, Geelong deal with them. Players can nominate clubs, but clubs have the right to make deals that benefit them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back