Recommitted Tim Kelly [requested a trade to West Coast]

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
there will be riot if they pay that sort of overs

it gets his family home though i guess

still prefer if he goes to freo for free
Kelly's value has come down in the 2nd half of the year but I struggle to see how two picks at 14+ are overs. I definitely dont see it as riot worthy...

If he was worth more than pick 30 why wasn't he picked up before pick 30? Collingwood had pick 14 and traded it to Sydney for Darren Jolly. Every Victorian team except Collingwood and St Kilda had a pick before 30 on draft night. All of the non-Victorian teams did too. Ball had nominated terms but from memory he was about a $400-500k per season player so wasn't a top 5 player per club in 2009 terms. So why didn't anyone pick him up? People seem adamant that in the event Kelly ends up the draft (i.e. after a trade falling through and refusing to re-sign with a Victorian club he enjoys playing for) that a team will just use a top 10 pick on him.
There hasn't been a mature player taken in the draft or preseason draft who hadn't agreed to terms with the club that took him in this millennium.

Being very close and actually accepting the trade are very different things.

Being very close to accepting is very different to the deal being massive under's. If the Eagles offer was ridiculously low (as many Cats fans on here claim) the Cats would never have entertained letting him go. But they admit they were very close to accepting the trade offered.

Being very close to accepting is very different to the deal being massive under's. If the Eagles offer was ridiculously low (as many Cats fans on here claim) the Cats would never have entertained letting him go. But they admit they were very close to accepting the trade offered.
We'll never know what the deal was. There is 200+ pages of postulating on what the deal might have been or what will be.

I still think our 2019 and 2020 first rounders is about right.

I don’t think we will be up to too much else this offseason.

Yep I agree. Hopefully both clubs just do that day 1 of trade week and this (will be 300 page by then) thread can go to bed.

That is less than we want and more than WCE want to give, sounds right.

No way this trade gets done on day one. Not unless there's a handshake agreement from last year.

The ambulance chasers will want to get their absolute money's worth out of it:

- WC don't have the currency, which player will they trade? - G Whatley
- Geelong don't care about Kelly's wellbeing, what does Dangerfield say? - D King
- No trade done after a week, negotiations have broken down, will the AFL step in with mediation? - M Robinson
- The PSD threat, it's something we all talk about but do we really need it? - W Aly

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Geelong don't do a fair deal and play the "Stupid" card they may find themselves down the track being stonewalled back with Geelong Falcon draftees not being able to find their way home.

Kelly has children with an illness, Dangerfield didn’t. That’s the big difference. If kelly didn’t have children with an illness, I would be in agreement with you. Children with an illness are more important than footy, it’s pretty easy to understand ...

If my club had been in that situation last year, I would have wanted them to grant the trade request. There’s more to life than footy ffs.
Shouldn’t have put himself in the draft knowing he could end up anywhere in Australia, would you apply for a job knowing you could end up away from your family? No I didn’t think so.

And he nominated WC only, not Freo. How bad did he want to get home?

Shouldn’t have put himself in the draft knowing he could end up anywhere in Australia, would you apply for a job knowing you could end up away from your family? No I didn’t think so.

And he nominated WC only, not Freo. How bad did he want to get home?

What a dead set dumb comment. His kids were diagnosed after he was drafted.

How desperate was he? Obviously not desperate enough to go to Freo who showed no interest in him in his draft year and were and still are a rabble on and off field.

Remember, the deal last year with the Eagles fell over in the last minutes of the trade period. Cats admitted to almost accepting the deal so up until then Kelly was hopeful in getting home to his preferred club.

So he was happy to hold out another nine months and go to his preferred club whoever that is.

Neale was under contract and when traded and he was already a better player than Kelly. Neale just got better again in 2019 just as Kelly has.

Two firsts with nothing coming back is more than Neale. Neale effectively went for pick 6 and 23ish. Kelly is not worth more than that as he isn't as good and is uncontracted.

Its not hard you just need to open both eyes!

Last year under contract Cats could ask for a premium, no longer now he is out of contract.

If the Cats demand two 1st's then fine, send Kelly + the Cats 2020 2nd back.

Deal done.

End of the day I see the Eagles upgrading this years first to a better pick and depending on that pick and its relative cost add either 2019 pick 22 or next years 2nd.
Um ok. So you are agreeing with me. Two firsts with a second coming back is about the right offer. Reading the posts you are criticizing might be a great idea. Just by the way Jake Lever was identical to Kelly. He wanted to go home the year before he was traded and then had a career year at Adelaide. Despite being uncontracted his value went up a heap over that season and he ended up being traded for two firsts with a second coming back. Kelly improved a ton this year. How you cant work out that matters is anyone's guess. The fact that the Eagles first this year wont be at least pick 14 (15 if Gold Coast get combo). If they win a few more games then thats even later. Combine that with the fact that with Kelly its really likely next year WCE's first will also be a late teen pick. Its pretty fair tp say you are miles off base when you say Geelong are asking too much is they accept two firsts with a later pick (second or perhaps later if west coast make the grand final this season ) coming back. Which is what I said in the post you responded to.

Last edited:
Kelly's value has come down in the 2nd half of the year but I struggle to see how two picks at 14+ are overs. I definitely dont see it as riot worthy...
FFS. He finished the year as well as any mid in the AFL. That's why his Brownlow odds went down. He has been in Geelong's best three players four of the last six games.

FFS. He finished the year as well as any mid in the AFL. That's why his Brownlow odds went down. He has been in Geelong's best three players four of the last six games.
Errr, I think you'll find even Geelong supporters think he wasnt as good the 2nd half of the year as he was the 1st half...

I also said he was being silly by thinking two picks at 14+ are overs.

If you have say $800k allocated for 2020 for him and leaves you have to reallocate that money to other players or trade someone in.

It's not a life or death problem but it's better than him wanting to stay and you suddenly realising you need to find $800k.

Or you renogotiate an existing contract(s) & front load them.

Last edited:
Errr, I think you'll find even Geelong supporters think he wasnt as good the 2nd half of the year as he was the 1st half...

I also said he was being silly by thinking two picks at 14+ are overs.
His finish to the year was great. Last six games especially.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back