• Fair for both Clubs

Votes: 52 70.3%
  • Yes

Votes: 9 12.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Will be interesting to see how he performs back home with the pressures of family life, friends, influences, money etc.. In Geelong he had 2 things, family and football.. Now he will have A LOT more on his plate - will be a good case study.
Hard tag EVERY WEEK.

Theres a couple of articles about TK on thewest.com.au for those interested.
You need a subscription, unless theres a trick to get around the paywall

Garbage deal for us. Couple of average picks in a weak draft which probably won't yield much. Ablett deal all over again. Those compo picks were supposed to contribute to our "transition" just as these picks are supposed to help facilitate a new grand rebuild of the club. We used those Ablett picks on Smedts and Caddy, so not too confident this will do much more for us.

Garbage deal for us. Couple of average picks in a weak draft which probably won't yield much. Ablett deal all over again. Those compo picks were supposed to contribute to our "transition" just as these picks are supposed to help facilitate a new grand rebuild of the club. We used those Ablett picks on Smedts and Caddy, so not too confident this will do much more for us.
im really really shocked to see you so negative and downbeat about the result.
2017 Pick 24 -> 14, 24, 27 and 2020 Rd 1.

Absolutely floored.

GO Catters

Ablett 2001 pick 40 -> two 1st RD compo picks. That was a win too, right?
technically we didn't actually trade Ablett - had we been allowed to control that deal I'm sure there would have been much better picks involved than what the AFL dished out

Agreed. At times he did. Went all right in the prelim though.

He played a lot more forward during the finals starting centre bounces on the forward 50 line - so not sure he was necessarily tagged the same as he was during the season when he had been starting in the middle

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ablett 2001 pick 40 -> two 1st RD compo picks. That was a win too, right?
Apples and oranges.

Ablett was an AFL mandated compensation that was horrendously undervauled and you know it - we had zero say in that. IT was a horrendous loss. But I Cant beleive you are simple enough to compare the 2.

This is a trade of an OOC player that was 2 x Rd 2 picks 12 months ago (rightly rejected) and has netted much more now.
Of course, 3 x Top 5 picks for TK would have been great.
How would you have gotten them?

GO Catters

Apples and oranges.

Ablett was an AFL mandated compensation that was horrendously undervauled and you know it - we had zero say in that. IT was a horrendous loss. But I Cant beleive you are simple enough to compare the 2.

This is a trade of an OOC player that was 2 x Rd 2 picks 12 months ago (rightly rejected) and has netted much more now.

GO Catters
Just to be clear, I am poking fun at the fact that people keep contending we did well because we turned pick 24 into some better picks years later, as if that at all means anything. Regardless of the details, we did that in the Ablett deal too, but few Geelong supporters would have accepted any picks willingly for Ablett at the time. It's not my point to compare quality of the deals; it's that the whole "Wow, good for us. We made pick 24 into picks x, y, z" comments I keep hearing are silly, and it's now how things work. When you have a quality player, your job is to not make up what they cost at the trade table; it's to hold on or maximize value. Geelong didn't really do that bu not getting a single top 10 pick, decent player, etc. Improving on draft position from two years ago means absolutely, entirely nothing.

He played a lot more forward during the finals starting centre bounces on the forward 50 line - so not sure he was necessarily tagged the same as he was during the season when he had been starting in the middle

Spot on - and i reckon in a real gun side - he would play half forward - he wouldnt play midfield

In that 4 minute highlight package which is on the internet - of his 2 seasons with the Cats - they havent got his best goal - and that was the one against the Suns - in Qld - that was a brilliant crumbing goal off the pack - mercurial is the word to describe that bit of play - and thats what he would be capable of - if he was played permanently forward

Ive got no problem with him leaving given the circumstances - Geel got well compensated - and Kelly is a likeable person

But i think it is a huge risk re his football career - i mean Eagles supporters think Kelly is the missing part of the jigsaw - and they are basically saying that with Kelly they will be playing Rich in next years GF . The thing about Kelly - is he isnt quick - and has struggled with the hard tag - there will be enormous pressure on him next year - the money they are paying - and their supporter expectations of him - they are expecting huge things from him - the missing piece to get the flag

Best analogy i can give ( in my opinion ) is they have recruited a Brett Heady type to go into their midfield . Heady would go into the Eagles midfield now and again - most notably the 92 GF - where he got thown in their - and played very well against Paul Couch . However Headys best position by far was around the goals - because he was clever and super dangerous around the goals - and that is Tim Kelly to a tee . In a super strong team Kelly would be played as a permanent forward - with only the occasional run on the ball

Apples and oranges.

GO Catters

don’t ever get into an argument with a halfwit mate. They drag you down to their level of flat out stupidity and then beat you with experience

Well Tim you certainly get what you pay for don't you!!!

Any half decent manager would have got it done last year. I suppose we should be thanking him.

Well Tim you certainly get what you pay for don't you!!!

Any half decent manager would have got it done last year. I suppose we should be thanking him.
I'd say a half decent manager would have actually convinced WCE of the benefit of rookie listing him back in 2015 or 2016, and then he doesn't have to worry about a trade back to Perth

Just to be clear, I am poking fun at the fact that people keep contending we did well because we turned pick 24 into some better picks years later, as if that at all means anything. Regardless of the details, we did that in the Ablett deal too, but few Geelong supporters would have accepted any picks willingly for Ablett at the time. It's not my point to compare quality of the deals; it's that the whole "Wow, good for us. We made pick 24 into picks x, y, z" comments I keep hearing are silly, and it's now how things work. When you have a quality player, your job is to not make up what they cost at the trade table; it's to hold on or maximize value. Geelong didn't really do that bu not getting a single top 10 pick, decent player, etc. Improving on draft position from two years ago means absolutely, entirely nothing.

It’s too early to say. It could be. But we aren’t entitled to win these trades just because we are the traders and we were never going to keep TK. We could get that top 10 or we could end up with two Clarke quality picks. But Wells has his eye on a particular player. Probably won’t get them but who knows. A week to go or on draft night.

The Ablett compo lead to Caddy who lead to Parfitt. A win over Caddy who was a Balme lead dud. But for Ablett we didn’t get pick 1-3 which we should have. We gave them a Brownlow medallist for gods sake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tim’s manager doesn’t get paid? So what’s in it for him?

Kick back from west coast to get him there?

It’s too early to say. It could be. But we aren’t entitled to win these trades just because we are the traders and we were never going to keep TK. We could get that top 10 or we could end up with two Clarke quality picks. But Wells has his eye on a particular player. Probably won’t get them but who knows. A week to go or on draft night.

The Ablett compo lead to Caddy who lead to Parfitt. A win over Caddy who was a Balme lead dud. But for Ablett we didn’t get pick 1-3 which we should have. We gave them a Brownlow medallist for gods sake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Much rather have Caddy than Parfitt. Caddy without question the better player. That was an awful trade. Helped Richmond on their way to a flag in 2017 for absolutely no reason, given he was contracted.

Much rather have Caddy than Parfitt. Caddy without question the better player. That was an awful trade. Helped Richmond on their way to a flag in 2017 for absolutely no reason, given he was contracted.
Disagree. Parfitt already shows more now than Caddy ever did. He was very fortunate to even be in their 17 flag team; probably their bottom 3. He is an opportunist at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back