• Yes

Votes: 9 12.2%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Hill is gone. That problem won't exist next year at Freo. If Caitlyn is still anti Freo, Tim needs to man up and let her know that meddling in his career like this will be detrimental to his earning potential.

Like back to the draft and playing for GCS earning potential.
I do wonder what the issue with Hill was? Past hookup?

JohnZ

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 10, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
2010 - Talk of Gaz leaving for the Suns all year, Gaz is BOG for us in the prelim loss to the eventual premiers, ends up leaving, and we go on to win the flag the following year.
2019 - Talk of Kelly leaving for the Eagles all year, TK is BOG for us in the prelim loss to the eventual premiers, ends up requesting a trade to the Eagles....

Will history repeat?
Don't give me false hope.....Are you saying C.Scott is out the door too?

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Probably covered already, but the wording of “preference” is interesting. Does that mean he’ll go to Freo if a suitable trade with WC can’t be organised?

Ever been to an auction... last bid when it is passed in gets first bite.. so it up to wc .. Its not ideal but if they really do come up with a deal that generally seen as fair to good then we will have to do it.

Ricketz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
The manager is either AGAIN going rogue or speaking on behalf of Kelly

this is the same s**t he pulled last year...Again TK must be dumb as ******* to be keeping this bloke around
Probably the only manager that gave him a chance. Loyalty maybe?

Either way, corralling yourself to only one club is a dumb decision anyway, and the same loss of bargaining power applies to his salary as much as our pick return.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
2010 - Talk of Gaz leaving for the Suns all year, Gaz is BOG for us in the prelim loss to the eventual premiers, ends up leaving, and we go on to win the flag the following year.
2019 - Talk of Kelly leaving for the Eagles all year, TK is BOG for us in the prelim loss to the eventual premiers, ends up requesting a trade to the Eagles....

Will history repeat?

so Tim comes back when he is 32 ..after years of personal success and years of team failure... I can only hope

Sep 26, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Probably the only manager that gave him a chance. Loyalty maybe?

Either way, corralling yourself to only one club is a dumb decision anyway, and the same loss of bargaining power applies to his salary as much as our pick return.
Can you imagine his earning potential if he helps Freo to their first flag

that’s what I’ll be saying if I was his manager

Spazz Cat

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 10, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Who cares gave fu** all service to the club and then makes demands after two years after we help established his career after being over looked by WCE over 5 drafts

seriously????
Gave 2 excellent years on a very low wage.
Goes both ways. If he was a crap player the club couldn't give a flying f**k what he and his family does.
Clubs are not charities. They don't go out of their way and spend money on untalented hacks off the street as there is nothing in it for them.
The do for talented people to hopefully get a return in helping the team.

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
He can do whatever he likes but if he’s desperate to get home he has played it very badly.
He's desperate to get to the West Coast and hearing there is a 5 year deal on the table.Best of both worlds for the Kelly gang.We will come up with the s**t end of the stick on this one.

Nickoo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
OPPOSITION FANS NOTE: THIS IS THE GEELONG BOARD. WHILE WE ARE HAPPY TO HOST DISCUSSION WITH OPPOSITION FANS ON THIS TOPIC, ANYTHING THAT IS DISRESPECTFUL OR MOCKING OF GEELONG WILL BE MET WITH SANCTIONS. NO FURTHER WARNINGS.

View attachment 757250

Statement from Kelly’s manager:

View attachment 757265

Pretty classy from the Cats. I like the messaging. The other message is pretty crap and very unprofessional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nickoo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
This is the least surprising news of the season considering he literally asked for the same thing this time last year. Only question now, will he consider Freo this time or only WCE again?

It’s different, subtly so but most definitely different.

Ricketz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
I do wonder what the issue with Hill was? Past hookup?
Don't know, all I heard on the rumour mill was that their missuses didn't get along. That Lyon was an arrogant sashaying list killer who offend Tim. And that he thought his best chance at a flag was WCE.

That last one is probably the real TK motivation, but I think he is wrong. Their forwardline and backline were borderline dysfunctional at various stages this year. JK is cooked, and the key backs are not AA standard despite the hype from 2018. I'd be going with Freo.

Goosecat

Club Legend
Sep 9, 2006
Mandurah
AFL Club
West Coast
Rumour is the Eagles and Dockers have come to a side agreement already, involving aspects outside the draft entirely and West Coast agreeing to support certain Freo desires within the AFL. It's basically you scratch mine and I'll scratch yours.
Should Geelong become intractably obstinate and Kelly end up in the draft, Freo has agreed not to bid in return for this support!
These side deals are rarely done but Geelong positioning has required a plan be designed in preparation.

Should the draft route end up being a reality (very unlikely), Kelly will end up at the Eagles with player association support. It is understood no Eastern States sides are even considering the possibility of chasing him under the circumstances.
If the uncontracted player is threatened with restraint of trade, Geelong will pay.

As a side note it is only a matter of time before trade restraint within the AFL systems is tested further legally outside the AFL system. The more these types of strong arm tactics are attempted to be utilised, particularly concerning uncontracted players, the more likely the AFL will eventually lose it's current ability levels to effectively force trade restraints.

Below is a genuine legal opinion regarding some of the AFL trade restraints that have never been truly tested. The last point (6) particularly applies here.
MAKE NO MISTAKE. Not even the AFL wants Geelong to over play their hand. There are lots of plans in place should they make the mistake of doing so.

1)Not allowing true free agency is a minor benefit to the league as a whole, but greatly interferes with an employee’s ability to work for his employer of choice, when the employer has the means and capacity to employ him. The AFL has essentially conceded this point by introducing limited free agency recently, but even though they have not publicly acknowledged it, they must understand they are fighting a rear-guard action on this issue.

2)The draft is a separate question but one with the same test. What is the broader benefit to the league and the sport in telling 18 year olds where they must start their careers? What benefit is gained that the salary cap does not already create? Again, none that is obvious. And again, do the sports that don’t have a draft suffer from a poor distribution of talent? No.

3)Redistribution of footballing talent is better determined by an open market rather than the diktat of a draft or by otherwise preventing them the same ability to work where they want, that the rest of us have.

4) IMO the AFL as a competition would not be worse off without a draft or with free agency as the salary cap is the most effective way to make sure there is an even distribution of talent.

5)Arguably the cap would be even more effective if players were completely free to find a club that was able to pay the player their true value.

6)I’m confident that should an out-of-contract player be prevented from joining a club of his choice, when his preferred club has the capacity and means to do so, that a court would strike out the league rules that prevent his freedom of employment.

(sic)

ibuprofen

The Impaler.
Oct 2, 2019
Romania
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Transylvania Impalers.
I think it's going hardball and I think Geelong aren't going to back down. You don't make Scott's comments of a couple of weeks ago to back down two weeks later.

The question I ask is it a genuine fight or is it a PR fight when a trade is already done? I can't see Geelong accepting scraps so will be interesting how this plays out. Can't wait for West Coast's comments.

I'm not that phased at losing Kelly to be honest. He is good but overrated. We should be compensated well so I'm happy. In reality, if Steven gets fit, it could be a matter of Tim who.

Nickoo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
You’d hope that even with his club nomination that he’s professional enough to understand that we will deal with Freo if WCE once again try to pass of crap pics to trade with.

I just can’t get over a 2nd year player is demanding a trade to a specific club that doesn’t have the required pics despite having a whole year to work something out.

It’s Western Australia. And then preferrred option. That’s it. So off the Freo if WC don’t pull it together.

Pretty classy from the Cats. I like the messaging. The other message is pretty crap and very unprofessional.

Both on-brand.

Feb 12, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Rumour is the Eagles and Dockers have come to a side agreement already, involving aspects outside the draft entirely and West Coast agreeing to support certain Freo desires within the AFL. It's basically you scratch mine and I'll scratch yours.
Should Geelong become intractably obstinate and Kelly end up in the draft, Freo has agreed not to bid in return for this support!
These side deals are rarely done but Geelong positioning has required a plan be designed in preparation.

Should the draft route end up being a reality (very unlikely), Kelly will end up at the Eagles with player association support. It is understood no Eastern States sides are even considering the possibility of chasing him under the circumstances.
If the uncontracted player is threatened with restraint of trade, Geelong will pay.

As a side note it is only a matter of time before trade restraint within the AFL systems is tested further legally outside the AFL system. The more these types of strong arm tactics are attempted to be utilised, particularly concerning uncontracted players, the more likely the AFL will eventually lose it's current ability levels to effectively force trade restraints.

Below is a genuine legal opinion regarding some of the AFL trade restraints that have never been truly tested. The last point (6) particularly applies here.
MAKE NO MISTAKE. Not even the AFL wants Geelong to over play their hand. There are lots of plans in place should they make the mistake of doing so.

1)Not allowing true free agency is a minor benefit to the league as a whole, but greatly interferes with an employee’s ability to work for his employer of choice, when the employer has the means and capacity to employ him. The AFL has essentially conceded this point by introducing limited free agency recently, but even though they have not publicly acknowledged it, they must understand they are fighting a rear-guard action on this issue.

2)The draft is a separate question but one with the same test. What is the broader benefit to the league and the sport in telling 18 year olds where they must start their careers? What benefit is gained that the salary cap does not already create? Again, none that is obvious. And again, do the sports that don’t have a draft suffer from a poor distribution of talent? No.

3)Redistribution of footballing talent is better determined by an open market rather than the diktat of a draft or by otherwise preventing them the same ability to work where they want, that the rest of us have.

4) IMO the AFL as a competition would not be worse off without a draft or with free agency as the salary cap is the most effective way to make sure there is an even distribution of talent.

5)Arguably the cap would be even more effective if players were completely free to find a club that was able to pay the player their true value.

6)I’m confident that should an out-of-contract player be prevented from joining a club of his choice, when his preferred club has the capacity and means to do so, that a court would strike out the league rules that prevent his freedom of employment.

(sic)
Oh you goose.

Ricketz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong

Interesting, sort of. Given that Freo has stated through Bell that they would love to have him, I wonder how either club would be able to defend against draft tampering.

The very fact that you are spreading this sort of crap indicates that it has been discussed. Let's get an investigation going now, AFL.

Both your clubs would be ****ed if this occured as you predict.

Nickoo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
It looks like that’s our wording. His manager was much clearer that it’s West Coast only.

Geelong will have the letter so will have based their media release on that. Van der Whalen just lost control of the narrative, that’s all. Freaked out and rushed to say it’s WC only. But it’s too late. Won’t make any difference. He’ll get to WC but something gotta give and it’s WC to create the deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back