Traded Tim Kelly [traded with #57 and future 3rd to West Coast for #14, #24, #33 and future 1st]

Who won this trade?

• Geelong

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • West Coast

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Head in the sand is a good picture........

Based on that article - 1 year @ $800k = $800k, whereas its reported he got a 6yr deal at $700k with the Eagles = $4.2m

Pretty simple maths......does your mum know you aren't at primary school?
His mum is at a playgroup supporting Mrs Kelly. Its called culture - not the one you buy with a brown paper bag.

You do realise Geelong only offered Kelly a 1 one year deal out of consideration of his desire to return home right? If Kelly was open to staying they would of offered 4-5 years no problem.

If no contract is offered by eagles, does he go home for family reasons? Good on him for going, im just sick the media not calling out players/managers for putting the 'family' reason line out there when we all know a big fat juicy contract is waiting to be signed. Brad Hill is the worst example, goes home to perth for 'family reasons' when Freo have a big fat contract waiting and now wants to come to Victoria (but only deal with St Kilda) because of of 'GF's family' and a big 4 year juicy contract from St Kilda.

Based on that article - 1 year @ $800k = $800k, whereas its reported he got a 6yr deal at $700k with the Eagles = $4.2m

7 news is reporting that it's a $5 million deal over 6 years.

"The 25-year-old midfielder joined the Eagles on Wednesday on a six-year, $5 million-dollar deal."

If no contract is offered by eagles, does he go home for family reasons? Good on him for going, im just sick the media not calling out players/managers for putting the 'family' reason line out there when we all know a big fat juicy contract is waiting to be signed. Brad Hill is the worst example, goes home to perth for 'family reasons' when Freo have a big fat contract waiting and now wants to come to Victoria (but only deal with St Kilda) because of of 'GF's family' and a big 4 year juicy contract from St Kilda.

I would argue WC was probably offering the smallest amount of $$. Freo have more cap space and Geelong does not want to lose their best young talent to a direct rival in the middle of a flag window.

7 news is reporting that it's a $5 million deal over 6 years.

"The 25-year-old midfielder joined the Eagles on Wednesday on a six-year, $5 million-dollar deal."

Honestly how would they know? If the media was actually accurate on player wages WCE would be like 3-4 million over the salary cap.

There has been a quote where Vozzo has said senior players have actually taken unders on their recent contracts to provide cap space for Kelly.

I would say he is on around 650k a year.

I highly doubt it. We didn't have the cap space for that.

In the same article Vozzo references the sacrifice other players have made in salary to get someone of Tim’s calibre to the club.

Honestly how would they know? If the media was actually accurate on player wages WCE would be like 3-4 million over the salary cap.

There has been a quote where Vozzo has said senior players have actually taken unders on their recent contracts to provide cap space for Kelly.

I would say he is on around 650k a year.

What are you basing the $650k on? I’m just wondering whether to trust someone on an Internet forum over a sports journalist who has connections in the industry.

In the same article Vozzo references the sacrifice other players have made in salary to get someone of Tim’s calibre to the club.

What are you basing the $650k on? I’m just wondering whether to trust someone on an Internet forum over a sports journalist who has connections in the industry.

I've seen it bandied around a few times.

Kelly is exactly the type of player the Dockers need to complement superstar Nat Fyfe and emerging pair Andrew Brayshaw and Adam Cerra as they prepare for a new era under a different coach. They will be able to offer a better monetary deal than the Eagles – thought to be at least $650,000-per-season – but Adam Simpson's team is in a stronger position to be a flag contender.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-08-20/confirmed-geelong-gun-mid-meets-with-dockers-and-eagles

He used the same figure in March in another article.

Because salary cap.

If we paid all these players 800k+ the numbers simply don't add up.

Pretty fuzzy logic there. So what you are saying is that after one year at $800K, had Kelly changed his mind and said he was happy to stay at Geelong, they would then have dropped his annual salary for future years? :drunk:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty fuzzy logic there. So what you are saying is that after one year at $800K, had Kelly changed his mind and said he was happy to stay at Geelong, they would then have dropped his annual salary for future years? :drunk:

There is no guarantees. Could do a knee and then his price would drop. Eagles money is guaranteed. :Drunk:

Sent from my CPH1879 using Tapatalk

This will be one of the biggest wins of the trade period for eagles.

I have no idea why people over rate draft picks.

Eagles have a happy gun player.
Because of sheer weight of numbers.

Put it this way: West Coast currently have picks 46 and 91. In all likelihood, that won't lead to a long-term AFL player.

Ergo, they are going to get one (extremely good) AFL player this year. That's fine, because he is excellent and they are gunning for a flag, but keep that up for too long and you'll run out of soldiers.

Geelong have four darts to chuck at a board. If luck runs against us, then we'll just land the one - damnit. But if you land three - like we did in '99 and '01 - then you set your club up for ten years.

His mum is at a playgroup supporting Mrs Kelly. Its called culture - not the one you buy with a brown paper bag.
West Coast is not the club to be arrogantly chucking the "culture" label around, let's face it...

Kelly grew up a West Coast supporter, he didn't like Freo (least of all the Bennells), he had a choice and that's fine. No need to gloat.

Well I don’t think any club tags more than one midfielder these days, so that means All-Australian Elliot Yeo and All-Australian squad members Andrew Gaff and Luke Shuey will be operating without a tag each week.

However will we manage.

Kelly is the goal kicking one though.

Think all contender clubs players do the same thing. Look how many players Richmond moved on to fit Lynch in.

You do what you gotta do.
I think it was Brian Cook who, when faced with a young player aggressively demanding an increase, pulled Corey Enright into the office and asked Enright - probably the best half-back since at least McLeod if not longer - what he was getting paid... and then asked the young player if he was worth more than Corey Enright.

At least, I think it was Enright.

You have a very successful history yes, but in TK's playing lifetime, you have a lot of players that will get old/retire at the back end of his contract. Whether you can replace those players is unknown as yet.. midfielders grow on trees, but Hurn, McGovern, Kennedy, Nic Nat, Jetta do not grow on trees.. These cornerstones of your attack and defence will all be over 30 and some of them retired, in 3 years. Add in Shuey, Redden, Gaff.. It won't be easy to replace all these guys. And TK will still have 3 years on his contract with all of these over 30/retired.

So.. the way I see it.. no flag in 2 - 3 years and, Kelly won't be getting a flag.

Goal kicking midfielders don't grow on trees.

Because of sheer weight of numbers.

Put it this way: West Coast currently have picks 46 and 91. In all likelihood, that won't lead to a long-term AFL player.

Ergo, they are going to get one (extremely good) AFL player this year. That's fine, because he is excellent and they are gunning for a flag, but keep that up for too long and you'll run out of soldiers.

Geelong have four darts to chuck at a board. If luck runs against us, then we'll just land the one - damnit. But if you land three - like we did in '99 and '01 - then you set your club up for ten years.
They have some, and others on the list like watermark, Ryan, allen and cameron. Guns in the making. Gottem already!!

Back